Computer keyboard question

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Compaq Presario laptop. Are the keyboard keys removeable? I'd like to clean under there. Compressed air wont get everthing out of there.
Thanks. :)

Cerbera

Newly Enlightened
You should be able to remove any keys of any keyboard. If they are regular keys, you should be able to pull them out. If they are the flat, quick-stroke keys (like notebooks), try to get something thin and dull to pry it out.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a two person operation. You or a helper holds it upside down. You can use compressed air this way to better clean out the junk. If you have spilled sticky liquids on the keyboard then you have another operation. In that case you may want to pull out the whole keyboard as these are nearly always removable with a few tricks - may be best to talk to a tech on your model. In that case cleaning with a mild dish soap diluted in water and put in a sprayer is probably best - again holding it upside down while spraying and then drying a soft cloth and possibly followed with some air drying from compressed air cans or even an air compressor if it's got an air filter on the output (most compressors have clean enough output for your keyboard anyway but it's nice to have a filter in case it is coughing or spitting a little oil and moisture).

Last edited:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used two dental picks on a key I never use and it popped up on the bottom edge and its hinged on top with a spring, couldn't see how to remove it but if all are up you can blow it out. Interesting.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I pull my keys off with hemostats...and/or just take the screws out from the bottom when I run across a keyboard that needs a good cleaning.

Really, it's pretty simple to take apart & reassemble.