Monster Thrower Project.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I'm working on making a monster thrower, so i'll be updating this thread with questions and information about it as it goes.

The base for this project is a DX super thrower which pumps out 18500 lux @ 1m with a cree P4.

Yup, thats already impressive, but what would happen if i can manage to make it even more!

I'll be using 2 approachs for this.

1) Optical approach.
Changing reflector if needed and using aspheric lenses on top of the reflector if possible

2) electronic.
Switch the LED for a Q5 and use a 1500mah driver

Oh well. i'll tell you guys later how this goes. happy to hear tips from you.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Using a reflector in combination with an AL doesn't work properly.
The best result for best throw you can get with an AL and a second collimator lens, but to find the perfect one with the right grinding will not be easy.

Good luck and best regards

____
Tom

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
It can be done but with an unsatisfying result.

A reflector doesn't concentrate the light in a straight forward direction and its reflector surface is too large for the propper work with the AL, the result is an ugly and ringy beam with less throw capabilities than a single AL.

The AL without the reflector uses the small light ermitting surface of the Cree.

Best regards

____
Tom

Ganp

Enlightened
Think of it this way ...

An aspheric lens is just like using a film projector - you are projecting an image of the LED die onto a distant object. If there is a reflector around the LED the lens is just projecting an image of that as well. Rather than throwing further the reflector just becomes another part of the 'picture'. And of course, it is not in the same plane of focus as the LED.

In essence, what Tom has done is build a 'super projector lens', and a compound lens at that - with spectacular results.

Good luck with your project aussiebuddah - I hope you too will have some results to show us soon,:popcorn:

Colin.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
i think i'm gonna drop the optics and focus (no pun intended) on the electronics.

i'm having problems to separate the head from the body, to change the emitter, does anyone knows how to do this or have done it in the wf-800? (same light different emmiter)

robm

Enlightened
It can be done but with an unsatisfying result.

A reflector doesn't concentrate the light in a straight forward direction and its reflector surface is too large for the propper work with the AL, the result is an ugly and ringy beam with less throw capabilities than a single AL.

The AL without the reflector uses the small light ermitting surface of the Cree.

Best regards

____
Tom

Tom,

I am a bit confused as to why using a reflector with an AS would actually reduce the throw?
Does it not just redirect the otherwise lost light through the AS, and lead to an ugly spill area, rather than actually reduce throw?

Thanks

Rob

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rob, I'm neither an optician nor an optical ingeneer, so I try it with my words.

I experimented with different lenses and reflectors. The grinding of an AL allows none improvement in terms of throw in combination with a reflector, in contrary, less light will meet the AL at the correct focal lenght.

The diameter of the AL, the focal lenght, driving level and the used kind of Led are the important factors for perfect throw results, note the exact focal length.

The reflector surface itself with its shape and lenght and the kind of effects to the ermitted light will be the reason for the worse result, IMO.

I got good results with a biconvex kind of lens in combination with a reflector, but not with an AL.

Best regards

_____
Tom

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
biconvex and dual convex seem to be the same,but weirdly enough surplusshed has them separated?

Last edited:

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
aussiebuddha, it would be a big happenstance if you would catch the perfect lens in the first attempt.

I tried a lot of lenses, only one gave a good result in combination with a reflector.

My recommendation:
Buy a few with different grindings and play with them.;)

Best regards

____
Tom

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
thanks.

Does anyone know how to open the super thrower or ultrafire wf-800 ?
I cant get access to replace the emitter.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I changed the emitter for a Q5 and wow there's a difference..
Probably 20% more bright.

I also took the chance to measure the current going to the LED.
I broke the circuit between the positive and the led and plugged my trusty old 90s fluke and came up with a puny 0.50A?

Man that sucks.
I need to push at least 1A there to get it to work at full power.
unfortunately there doesnt seem to be many options on anything more than 1A out of the box for a decent price.

Also i have to install a 19mm driver, and most are 17mm which sucks. any ideas I'd really appreciate.

radu1976

Enlightened
Using a reflector in combination with an AL doesn't work properly.
The best result for best throw you can get with an AL and a second collimator lens, but to find the perfect one with the right grinding will not be easy.

Good luck and best regards

Hi Tom,

Do you know what aspheric lenses are needed for DX CREE SUPERTHROWER or for TIABLO A8 ?
Thanks,
Radu

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:radu1976

I don't own a DX or Tiablo, but important is the diameter and the focal length of the AL.
Measure the window of your lights to get an idea of the diameter.
For proper focus (FL) it could be helpful to create a heatsink balanced to the FL.

Best regards

____
Tom

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I changed the emitter for a Q5 and wow there's a difference..
Probably 20% more bright.

I also took the chance to measure the current going to the LED.
I broke the circuit between the positive and the led and plugged my trusty old 90s fluke and came up with a puny 0.50A?

Man that sucks.
I need to push at least 1A there to get it to work at full power.
unfortunately there doesnt seem to be many options on anything more than 1A out of the box for a decent price.

Also i have to install a 19mm driver, and most are 17mm which sucks. any ideas I'd really appreciate.

I have already taken my super thrower and put a Q5 and new drivers in it. It is the most unbelieveable thing to see in person. It feels like your holding an HID flashlight. You've already got half of what you need. Now for the drivers. Get the drivers from DX it is SKU 3256 ($6.44 for 4) and take two and combine them into one by soldering them together in parallel on both the input and output. That will give you about 1600 ma at the LED. The throw will then be measured in 10ths of a mile instead of feet.
And I agree with what was said. Do not try to use a reflector and optic. I have tried many different ones together and none could beat the stock reflector in the super thrower.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
How did you manage to mount the drivers in the heatsing?
the standard one is 19mm, and the one you say is 16mm?

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did you manage to mount the drivers in the heatsing?
the standard one is 19mm, and the one you say is 16mm?
I wrapped tape around the two of them and then stuffed it in the empty space between where the stock driver sits and the LED. You will see what I mean if you unscrew the pill out of the flashlight. Then prise out the driver. Mine had a bit of hot melt glue holding it on. Behind it you will see the empty space. All you have to do is wrap tape around the new drivers so that it fits snugly into the pill. That will also help to keep it from grounding out on anything. Also make sure you are using a high quality thermal paste in between the LED and the pill. Thats it. Trust me you will be blown away.