3 officers shot in Odessa,TX 2 dead, 3rd officer died Wednesday

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a call from my mother Saturday night 3 OPD officers shot, 2 dead, 1 in critical condition and life flighted to Lubbock,TX hospital. Here is a link to the news story. http://www.cbs7.com/news/details.asp?ID=2178 . My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of the slain officers and hope the other officer pulls through. Rest in peace brothers.

Last edited:

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Re: 3 officers shot 3 officers shot in Odessa,TX 2 dead, 1 in critical condition

Depusm, i can't get your link to work. Regardless of that though it is terrible news my thoughts and wishes are with the injured officer and the family of the two officers who were killed.

May they rest in peace

Here is a piece, i am unsure where it is from but very fitting

THE POLICE ODE

As the sun surely sets,
Dawn will see it arise,
For service above self,
Demands its own prize.
You have fought the good fight,
Life's race has been run,
And peace your reward,
For eternity begun.
And we that are left,
Shall never forget,
Rest in Peace friend and colleague,
For the sun has now set.
We will Remember.
WE WILL REMEMBER.
Hasten the dawn.

Last edited:

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Re: 3 officers shot 3 officers shot in Odessa,TX 2 dead, 1 in critical condition

We spoke of this today in roll call and it is indeed a horrible situation. It kind of hits me in an even worse way as it reminds me of my fellow co-workers who all 3 lost their lives in a similiar manner.
http://www.officer.com/article/article.jsp?id=14041&siteSection=1

It is something the families all speak of however can never be prepared for. I hope that the wounded officer will recover and that the other two heroes will never be forgotten.....very sad day for Texas as well as for the families of all involved. After 10 years on patrol I have been to way too many funerals and believe me when I say we all feel the loss of even one true hero no matter what state or department they served.....Rest in peace brothers you have all served well and are now 10-42 for the last shift.

ixfd64

Newly Enlightened

Oh dear, what is going on in America?

My prayers go to the officers' families. :(

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*

I am not really sure as to what exactly is the cause however it is alarming to see violence on the rise towards police. I recently was reading a study showing a chart of police killed in the line of duty. In just the last few years deaths have been rising steady in the U.S.

There is one alarming factor that I noticed where certain type criminals actually ambushed and killed officers. Usually a criminal is suprised or a heat of the moment type event causes violence. Reading over facts from recent deaths show in many cases criminals actually sought out police or planned to kill an officer.

I am not sure if it is more easily available weapons on the street or maybe younger kids growing up watching violence or even simply the weak justice system allowing violent persons to be free. Whatever the case it is so true that there is a growing problem in the U.S.

If any wish to read an interesting site go to www.odmp.org and look around. You can search by state or even by year to see just how many officers are losing their lives to violence. The site tracks all duty related deaths and gives a brief narrative of the details involving the death. Even I was shocked to see just how many officers lose their lives to violence daily.

Sad to say this tragedy is one of many played out way too often these days. Maybe it is not too late to make a difference however with each hero lost it takes us all back a step or two.

Glen C

Enlightened

Sad news. Events like this bring home the risks officers take every day. We should thank them more often, unfortunately most talk about police focusses on miniscule complaints (like "I was only 10mph over the limit") rather than the huge unspoken risks these individuals take.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update

Heard thru member of another forum I'm a part of, that the officer in the Lubbock hospital isn't doing any better and his brother's have decided that unless he gets better they will remove him from life support in 2 days(This was on Tuesday).

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cpl. Abel Marquez died today at around 3 to 4 pm . R.I.P. brother my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and fellow officers.

tazambo

Newly Enlightened

RIP.

Dave
Constable, Tasmania Police '95-'04

Towel_E

Banned

4 Miami-Dade Officers Shot, 1 Killed; Suspect On Run

http://www.nbc6.net/news/14106283/detail.html

Yeah well...I suspect more than 4 people were shot and killed on the planet today .

I know when my non unionized brother was murdered by a drunk nobody really gave a rats behind , and you know what ..life is terminal..

SO being unionized gets you media when you die at work ...but .....I bet a few others died at work today , have no union ...and so ..welll...whatever...
everyone picks what they want to cry over in life

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

SO being unionized gets you media when you die at work ...but .....I bet a few others died at work today , have no union ...and so ..welll...whatever...

I'm sorry about your brother, but I really don't appreciate the attitude and what does being unionized have to do with anything. I was always taught if you can't say something good don't say anything at all. Or maybe you just like bashing Law Enforcement Officers.

Last edited:

Northern Lights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah well...I suspect more than 4 people were shot and killed on the planet today .

I know when my non unionized brother was murdered by a drunk nobody really gave a rats behind , and you know what ..life is terminal..

The difference is the officers put on weapons and armor everyday to go out and make a difference in this country in the lives of others so others can live without fear and in realtive safety and the knowledge when they need it help will be there. When the officers left home everyday they said good-bye to their families not knowing if they would return home at shift end. That is unselfish sacrafice. Death comes to us all. Those who willing risk their mortality and give life to others are of a character that sets them apart from all others in a manner that has been recognized by all civilizations through all time. Your grief, is righteous and earned, but look beyond to the legacy of men, your are missing the defining qualities of civilization. The very essence of civilization and its degree of civility is measured by the deeds of those who willing pour their soul, their being and in some sad cases ultimately their life into building societies where life can flourish. The comparison of the officer's passing to the loss of someone not engaged in self sacrafice is not a comparison.
We, the civilize, mourn the loss of all good and all good people and despise those who take on the cloak of the reaper. I am sorry about your brother's passing, I assure you those who do care about your brother and his situation although they never met are those who pin a shield on representing their oath and duty to you, your brother and all citizens. The officers are the people who cared about you and all others. They chose to stand there in battle, to fight to preserve your society. That is why they are mourned, that is why they are remembered for what they unselfishly gave. You regret their reconizition, it is not entitlement, it is payment for cost they paid for us. In 34 years for one reason or another, 14 men of whom I called by their first names passed, died, to full fill the same domestic mission and service as these brothers. Yes, they deserve a mention in the media. Without these men, the sheep dogs, all the flock would be eaten.

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well said Northern Lights.You put into words what I was thinking .

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

This is indeed, very sad news. Ditto on what NL said.

When I saw the topic title, I was thinking that 3 officers shot 3 other officers (by accident)...but I think you are describing multiple shooting locations which is even worse news.

I think almost all decent people feel horrible when these events happen, but most of us will ever know what it is really like for those involved and their families. Thanks to all of our law enforcement community for their service.

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast

All people grive when their loved ones pass. Sometimes the hurt, the pain of them leaving us leads to feeling we are dumped on and just feeling angry is pretty normal.

People we are close to and care about are few usually and loosing one of them especially a brother is hard. I lost my brother last year and I don't know how that feels for someone else but I know how I feel about loosing my brother.

Cops are bound together by bonds so strong that when one of them pass others feel the pain even when not knowing that Officer. Civilians will never understand that relationship. I doubt I could say anything more fitting than what has been written here from the hearts of men who carry out a thankless duty day in and day out. Cops are cops 24/7, there is time off but never a time when they are not a cop.

Do not be taken back or surprised how these men morn and grive but do understand this we are outsiders looking in on a brotherhood we are not part of. And the next time you encounter a Law Enforcement Officer who doesn't treat you the way you might expect, say a prayer for him. He probably needs one.

These Officers didn't deserve to get shot and die. Every cop in the States faces that possibility every day. Even day off someone poor dumb guy try rob a cop or rob a stop-n-rob with a cop inside.

So I will morn these fallen 3 brave men who gave their life so we could have a better life.

Jim

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3 officers shot in Odessa,TX 2 dead, 1 in critical condition

Very well spoken jimjones3630, you are very correct a brotherhood most can't or don't want to understand.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 3 officers shot in Odessa,TX 2 dead, 1 in critical condition

Prior to all these shootings, the first six months of 2007 had the highest line of duty deaths for law enforcement in the U.S. in 30 years. Some of those were ours.

Thanks to all law enforcement and military troops that take the risks. Even if only other LEOs and military appreciated the risks you take (and it's not), you know theirs is the opinion that you value anyway.