• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired ::More Available!!:: 8-16-07:: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped! (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
::Unavailable:: Coast Focusing Lenser w/Seoul P4 $69 Shipped! (Part 2)

...continued from here.

Update: (5-23-08) Due to time constraints, I'm no longer modding these lights. Thanks to all who have purchased one (or two or three, lol) in the past. I'll continue to offer support for the lights that were sold. Thanks again everyone! :)

Please see info about international shipping below.

The following referenced posts can be seen in Part 1 of this thread, located here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/157634

This light has been labeled a "must have" for flashaholics...not by me, but by some happy customers. I do happen to agree, though! See for yourself...check out posts #173, 222, 271, 373, and 414. Again, these and the following posts are from Part 1 of this thread... see link posted above.

Here's a list of other positive testimonials:
#36, 45, 70, 106, 108, 110, 113, 125, 143, 155, 168, 170, 171, 177, 181, 190, 217, 226, 236, 252, 261, 281, 286, 314, 318 340, 370, 372, 436, 438, 442, 444, and 445. Or you can save time by just ordering one to see for yourself!

Here's a list of the unsatisfied customers:

0. Yep, that's right...0!

I've modded and sold 75+ of these, and everyone has been happy with theirs! One person did return his because he didn't like the fit of it in his hand, but he did like the performance. I chalk that up to personal preference, rather than dissatisfaction.

Coast Focusing Lensers (Hokus Fokus) professionally upgraded with SSC P4 LEDs, SWO white tint. Quality original P4 LEDs from original packaging used...no questionable "off-shore" varieties.

These lights are already amazing, but with the addition of the Seoul P4, they're absolutely incredible!! Others have done this mod here too, and are blown away by the results. One of the great features of this light is that it has a TRUE momentary-on, tactical style switch. This light in stock form already has one of the brightest, most powerful beams for the money. With the Seoul P4, it blows away just about anything in it's class. According to SSC's spec sheet, the P4 can put out up to 240 lumens at 1000 mA. After lens losses, I'm conservatively guessing that these put out 150 to 170 "real" lumens out the front.

The lights are absolutely brand new, but will not come with the original packaging. They will come with the original holster and a fresh set of alkaline batteries. The original lanyard is also not included, however, it WILL come with an even better, more heavy-duty lanyard. These lights sell like hot-cakes at Lowes for $49.95 plus tax, with the stock emitter. For a little more, you can have one that's twice as impressive!! I have many lights, and can honestly say that this is my favorite. It's the one that stays on the night stand, and is the only one I grab for "Did you hear that noise?" duties.

:party: The price is $69, shipping included! :party: Sales to the U.S. only. Paypal only.

For International shipments, CPF member "Unforgiven" offers a small-package forwarding service for a small fee. Details can be found in his thread: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=141638

These will be periodically available as supply permits. Please refer to top of this thread for updates on availability.

Thanks!!

Here's part of the info sheet that I include with each light....I figured I should post it here as well.

Use only alkaline or Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) AAA batteries. Do not use Lithium rechargeable AAA's as their voltage is too high and will destroy the LED and can pose a fire hazard. Non-rechargeable Lithium batteries such as Energizer E2 Lithium drive the light a bit too hard and are not recommended.

Okay, with that out of the way, I'd like to make a few points about the light. NiMH rechargeable batteries work best in this light because they are able to maintain voltage very well under load. Using these, you should get 45 minutes to an hour of near full brightness, then the output will quickly dim. Alkaline batteries work fine, but they will sag in voltage in just a few minutes of operation, resulting in less than maximum light output. For intermittent use, it's not that noticeable.

The Seoul P4 LED used in the conversion has a different beam pattern than the original Luxeon LED. The good part is that the beam is a bit wider than the Luxeon and at the same time, brighter. The bad part of this is that the Seoul doesn't work as flawlessly with the optics in the flashlight compared to the Luxeon. This is only a concern for those who like to "white wall hunt". I shine all of my lights on the walls inside my house all the time, so I do my fair share of this too…as I suspect most "flashaholics" do. You'll notice a couple of prism type reflections and a faint yellow ring at the edge of the beam. The yellow is a reflection from the LED's phosphor base. Typical reflectors are designed to minimize this. I don't mean to scare you with this info, just want to let you know that it's due to the different beam pattern of the Seoul LED. When you actually use the light outdoors, none of that will be noticeable…you'll just say "wow, this thing is bright!"

Here are some pictures of the light and its construction...taken on 7-12-07. The last picture shows the Seoul Semiconductors Z-Power P4 LED (SSC P4) mounted.

dsc04989wb7.jpg

dsc04987oe1.jpg

dsc04983pz5.jpg

dsc04984ju1.jpg

dsc04991gg8.jpg

SSC P4 installed
dsc04980aj9.jpg

Here are some beamshots of a stock Focusing Lenser, and my SSC P4 modded version. Distance to the shed is about 50 feet. Both lights were using Eneloop NiMH cells. Enjoy!

The white shed probably isn't the best subject, since any extra brightness gets washed out. You can see the difference better if you look at the grass and foliage that's at the edge of the beams. At some point I'll get some beamshots taken at longer distances...longer distances are where the difference really shows. Remember, the Focusing Lenser in stock form is a great light to begin with!

More beamshots, from Lite_me, are in post #268. His shots are great! You can click on them to enlarge, too!

Stock, Narrow focus
dsc05152qa4.jpg

SSC Modded, Narrow focus
dsc05151jd0.jpg

Stock, Wide focus
dsc05155cn1.jpg

SSC Modded, Wide focus
dsc05154ot4.jpg

Last edited:

beefy6969

Newly Enlightened
Will an Aspheric Mag C outhrow the Coast Lenser?

How bigger are the hotspots? Which one of the above will have a longer runtime, assuming im using a 18650 for the Mag C.

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast

How bigger are the hotspots? Which one of the above will have a longer runtime, assuming im using a 18650 for the Mag C.

I don't have experience with an aspheric Mag C, but based on the numbers, yeah it'll out-throw the Coast by a good margin. It is a much bigger light though...

Runtime on the Coast is 1 to 1.25 hrs to 50%....not sure on the Mag.

acourvil

Enlightened

An aspheric Mag with a Terrelux definitely outthrows the Coast lenser. I'm pretty sure that the run time is substantially longer as well, but I haven't actually tried it.

The aspheirc mag is a much tighter hotspot, literally a picture of the emitter. The Coast hotspot, while concentrated, is much more diffused (i.e., larger). The Coast Lenser also has a smoother light pattern overall.

But they are very different lights, and the Coast Lenser upgraded with a Seoul is a pretty amazing package; the Mag is more like brute force.

cd-card-biz

Enlightened
Aspheric M*g is more of a "needle" beam. Much smaller hotspot than the lenser. Throws a tremendous distance but is a much more special purpose light IMO.

Actually now that I think about it, the beam on my modded Coast is somewhere in the middle of a traditional beam and the aspheric.

Even though my aspheric M*g 1C is not a huge light, it's still too big to carry around in my pocket, or in a holster on my belt.

I am glad to have both lights and will keep them. But if I had to choose - it would be the Coast.

FWIW, here are some hotspot comparisons I did previously. Didn't think to include the aspheric M*g. Maybe next time.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174509

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
More lights available for immediate shipment! :grin2: Who else wants one?!

1. Calamityville_Horror (shipped)
2. cd-card-biz (shipped)
3. StandardBattery (shipped)
4. flash_me (shipped)
5. jabajet (shipped)
6. ftumch33 (shipped x 2)
7. non-CPF customer (shipped)
8. non-CPF customer (shipped)
9. elnero55 (shipped)
10. Glow_Worm (shipped)
11. MSaxatilus (shipped)
12. interscape (shipped)

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of you were interested in the dimming (rotary) switch for your modded Lenser. I mentioned that I couldn't order the switches by themselves, which still stands. What I did do was to order a few Focus-Dimm and Dimming Lensers, with the idea of passing them along at my cost to those who wanted one. Unfortunately, I found that half of the lights had switches that were really reducing the output...too much resistance. I ended up sending the defective lights back, and decided not to get any more since they were too inconsistent. To make a long story short, I have two 7795 Focus-Dimm lights available to previous customers of my modded Lenser. They are brand new, and come with batteries, holster, and lanyard. The switches on these two tested fine, and do not have excessive resistance. They're $48 each, plus $5 shipping via USPS Priority mail. Again, these are available to previous customers only. Thanks guys!

Edit: These two lights have sold.

Last edited:

elnero55

Newly Enlightened
HI umm, i'll take one!, one problem i live in australia and Unforgiven, doesn't seem to reply to my pm. =[ i will paypal you extra for the international shipping if you would like =].

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI umm, i'll take one!, one problem i live in australia and Unforgiven, doesn't seem to reply to my pm. =[ i will paypal you extra for the international shipping if you would like =].

Hi elnero,

Thanks for your interest! :) International shipping is a hassle for me, that's why I use Unforgiven's forwarding service. I don't have any lights available at the moment, due to being out of focusing shims that I use for the head. I have more shims on order, they should arrive soon. Hopefully by then UnForgiven will have responded to your message. Do you want me to put you on the waiting list?

elnero55

Newly Enlightened
yes!

REMOVED
thats Unforgiven's reply to my email. how much would you like me to paypal you?

Last edited by a moderator:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes!

thats Unforgiven's reply to my email. how much would you like me to paypal you?

Great. The price to me is the same, $69. I ship it to UnForgiven, then he'll forward it to you. Whatever fee he charges gets sent directly to him by you. I'll PM you my Paypal info. Thanks!

lyyyghtmaster

Newly Enlightened
:paypal: It took me 1 WHOLE DAY (arrgh!) after my light became available for me to have a few spare minutes from work to actually buy it!! Oooh, it's becoming flashlight season, too......!

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It'll be on its way to you today! :naughty:

Flashlight season! :lolsign: That's right... it'll be getting dark earlier in the evening! WooHoo!!

Status
Not open for further replies.