My work and your help!

djblank87

Enlightened
The facility I work for has asked our safety committee to pick and approve ten rechargeable flashlights to use in a (HEICS) disaster plan. (HEICS) is a nation wide hospital emergency disaster plan in layman's terms.

The ground rules are as follows for these flashlights:
  • Must run 1 hour or more.
  • Must be rechargeable.
  • Must be able to sit on a charger for week's even months without being used.

Pretty simple all around, I was thinking of the following:
http://www.streamlightflashlights.us/detailaspx136.html Two of these!

Ten of these:
http://www.flashlights.com/images/SL-20XP-LED-with-text-and-l.jpg

But I would love to hear everyone's personal opinion on what would be a good choice. Remember no modified lights, LED or Incandescent or HID does not matter. Metal vs. Plastic tubes do not matter. Also this is for a hospital so the bean counters will be watching the bottom dollar but I have about $500.00 to work with.

Any suggestions? :whistle:

GreySave

Enlightened
I have never used that light, but given the availability of bank charging it would seem to be a good choice. That assumes that your plan allows for or requires that all of the lights will be stored and charged in one or two places, which may or may not be the best solution depending upon the size of the hospital and its generator capacity (Will the generator run emergency lighting, or just patient critical systems?).

djblank87

Enlightened
(Will the generator run emergency lighting, or just patient critical systems?).

The generator will run all critical care equipment and emergency lighting in the
facility. It can run for two days straight before more fuel is needed. The facility is looking to use these lights not so much during a power outage but for an external/internal disaster that might not include the power going out.

Also, five of the flashlights and one charger will be with the HEICS cart in the administration office and the other five with charger in the back of the emergency department. Basically these departments are on opposite sides of the facility.

Rogerg

Newly Enlightened
I would use
aa lights for small size to be able to attach to hat or head band
single led multi level brightness with low capable, no noticable flicker on low (I would not like my eyes checked with a super bright light)
one or two lithium primary aa batteries, they can last in storage for years with no attention. You can also use rechargables if you like or just common aa.
Roger

Illum

Flashaholic
the issue with rechargeables....
rechargeable batteries are designed to be charged and discharged frequently, if its going to sit there for months at a time and only used sparingly I would prefer the long term benefits of lithiums, for its short term cost, and long shelf period.

I am unclear of how well rechargeables have advanced in technology but if they are to be stored, then they should be conditioned before storage, and after such conditioning the cell not only does not have full capacity [~80% capacity when I store my 14500s] and they would need additional charging after storage prior to use. :rolleyes:
Lithiums, on the other hand are less expensive than investing in a rechargeable, standardized system. But the cost per year on conditioning rechargeables might cost more than buying lithiums and let them sit there unused...especially if power outages are rare in that year.:sick:
From a first hand experience, hospitals supply full power to "critical care" but for regular patients sometimes their not so lucky. so when choosing a light, I'd stick to LEDs for runtime and lamp life and something dimmble over something xenon based unless you plan to illuminate the operating table:thinking:

thats my $0.02

djblank87

Enlightened
I would use
aa lights for small size to be able to attach to hat or head band
single led multi level brightness with low capable, no noticable flicker on low (I would not like my eyes checked with a super bright light)
one or two lithium primary aa batteries, they can last in storage for years with no attention. You can also use rechargables if you like or just common aa.
Roger

I agree with you Roger on this issue. The rechargable lights
present a problem, for me at least. I think the reasoning behind the rechargeable issue is because administration wants everything to look nice and very accessible.

Now, using a D-Cell or AA for that matter would work great and we already stock piles of D-Cells for the $2.00 cheap lights they keep in all the units in the facility.

As for headlamps or smaller lights for staff to use when treating patients every department already has a pretty decent setup for patient care.

Ten decent D-Cell lights mounted to the wall with some wall mounts and a nice neat box of batteries underneath would look fine and also be cheaper so the bean counters can stay happy. I will post something up later with anything good I find.

Scott.cr thanks for the link.

Last edited: