I Got Throw, I Got Tiablo

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Tiablo A8 Q5 just came today. Perfect timing, a day before my B-Day. :party:

Tiablo1.jpg

Tiablo2.jpg

Tiablo3.jpg

UPDATE:

For those of you that don't know this light, Stefan did a great review here, so I won't repeat his info. The difference with this light is it has the Cree Q5 bin, which is brighter then the A8. The A9 also has the same emitter, but with a different driver. The A8 Q5 is better used with one 18650, and the A9 is better used with RCR123's or CR123A's. Also, this light has a Momentary FOWARD Clickie with ONE brightness level, like a Mag.

Now, let me say the A8 Q5 is amazing. It is much brighter then all my other LED's, 120P, P3D R100 etc. It's also brighter then my stock TL-3. The throw is incredible, easily more then the TL-3. Though I still like the TL-3 color better for the woods, the A8 Q5 has a pretty nice tint, and is fine in streets. I expected a bright hotspot with very litte spill, but I was wrong. The A8 Q5 has plenty of spill.

I haven't done beamshots yet. (To busy playing. :grin2:), but I did do some LUX measurments. However, I'm surprised by my readings. Though consistent, I think my meter is reading low. I have the cheap meter from DX, which as been known to read on the low side. I may invest in a better one. On to the readings @ 1m.

NovaTac 120P = 1800 lux
Fenix P3D R100 = 2500 lux
SL TL-3 Stock = 8500 lux
MRV SE Q5 = 12,500 lux
Tiablo A8 Q5 = 15,500 lux
Mag60 3D = 20,000 lux
Aspheric 50mm = 28,000 lux
ROP HI 2C = 28,000 lux
Mag85 3C = 32,000 lux
Aspheric 52mm = 35,000 lux
The CC > 200,000 lux
The MB > The CC

I would have thought the A8 would be more like ~20,000, considering Stefan got 21,000 with his A9. And my Aspheric is only getting 28K, but Stefan is getting ~58K with his, granted he has a different driver. That's why I think my meter is reading low.

Overall, I'm very pleased with this light. I just wish I knew how it compares to Stefan's A9. I'm waiting on the MRV SE Q5 to arrive in a few days, so I can compare it also. I'll do some beam shots next.

UPDATE: 9/19/2007

I just got the MRV SE Q5 and I took some lux measurments, posted above. It looks like my meter is reading low, time for a new one. I'd have thought the Tiablo would have done better against the MRV, but at least it's more. The MRV does have a nice beam pattern though. It's good for a Throw/Spill mix. I'm using the SMO reflector, and I haven't tried the OP. One thing I don't like is the MRV switch. Is it me, or is this switch difficult to press? I definitely like the Tiablo switch better.

Also, I got a 52mm Aspheric lens w/Anti Reflective Coatings. I'm not sure if it's the size or the coatings, but it made a big difference. See the lux reading I'm getting now. The big thing I like about this light is, there's very little spill to blind you. Unlike the MRV and Tiablo, you can keep your night vision, while targeting something far away. For a gernal light it's not useful, but for a pocket thrower, it's great. When LED's become smaller and more powerful, this light will be incredible. I can only imagine this lens in front of an R4 bin Cree :eek:

I'll try to do some beamshots of these lights over the weekend, along with something else. :grin2:

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
need more info.
what is this light?
is it a must have light? why?
i've seen it compared to genes magmods.
is that a fair comparision?
how much is it.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update in 1st post. ;)

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2x3x2 just published a review of the A9 on his site. He also gets Lux numbers around 20 000 Lux. Maybe your meter is a bit off, sounds very strange with the aspheric Mäg reading.
Stefan

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
I'm jealous!! I got the 'shipped' notification for mine at 1900 yesterday. I can't wait to get it. Maybe you'll have a chance to take some beam shots tonight??

Don't know if you remember, but I was about to pull the trigger on a different light (the A9) and you pm'd me about the A8-Q5. Since my plan is to run 18650's, I decided to hold off until this A8 upgrade. Man I can't wait to get my hands on this thing!! Thanks again!

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the B-Day wishes. I didn't have my birthdate entered in my profile, so it wasn't showing in the B-Day section.

Yes, I meant the MRV SE. I was thinking about the Tiablo A8 LE.

Stefan, thanks for the link to that site. I haven't been there in a while. Very informative reviews. I checked his Lux readings for the 120P, which is also higher then mine, 2530 to my 1800. It has to be my meter. This meter is fairly consistent, but I'd like to compare my readings with others. So it looks like I'll have to invest in another meter.

Gsegelk, glad to be of help. Did you get the Forward Momentary Clicky? I did, and I'm liking it. That was one reason, I held off on getting the A8 and A9.

Last edited:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Glad you like it. Happy Birthday. :)

Won't be long before you have completely converted to the
house of the Led now ;) :nana:

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitro, where did you get the A8-Q5 with one-level forward clickly? I don't need two brightness setting and I'm sure as hell don't want the reverse clicky either.

BTW, great post!

Happy B-Day.

Cheers

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like it. Happy Birthday. :)

Won't be long before you have completely converted to the
house of the Led now ;) :nana:

When LED's have a Full Color Spectrum, and one LED is as bright as my Mag85, they'll replace my Incans.

SECONDLY

When one LED becomes as bright as my CC, it will replace it.

LASTLY

When one LED can throw as far as this, I'll be completely converted. ;) :nana:

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
:thinking:...hmmm...actually, I forgot all about it once I got the go-ahead to place an order :shakehead. Once I read the post saying the A8-Q5 was available for preorder, I blacked out and next thing I knew, the order confirmation was on the printer! It's funny...this is the first time I've thought about that option since ordering! I think I'd prefer the momentary clicky so I'll be on the lookout for when one is available.

Happy bday btw!

Gsegelk, glad to be of help. Did you get the Forward Momentary Clicky? I did, and I'm liking it. That was one reason, I held off on getting the A8 and A9.