aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I've searched everywhere and nothing :-(
I'm looking to drive a Q5 with 1.2A-1.5A and 2 x 18650

Nereus

Enlightened
I've searched everywhere and nothing :-(
I'm looking to drive a Q5 with 1.2A-1.5A and 2 x 18650

Only One Q5? In that case you can use Sandwich Shoppe Downboy board set to 1500 mA:
http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/product_info.php?cPath=48_49_61&products_id=185

I have used DB1500 boards in my mods without problems. I do not know if you could use SOB board also...

In one of my mods I used a switch to add a additional sense resistor to a DB500 board, making it a DB500/1500 adjustable board.

-N

Last edited:

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
so, this wouldnt be multimode, just single 1500mah mode?
any idea where i can get multimode ones? i dont think i'd like to run my light at 1500 all the time.

alphazeta

Enlightened
He's looking for a multimode driver that can deliver over an amp to the LED. I'm not sure I've seen one yet. Let alone at DX & KD prices.
However , I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone has...:popcorn:

Gryloc

Enlightened
Hey, aussiebudha. I, too, am looking for a decent buck circuit that can handle more than 1A. Actually, I would love to find one that can do 2A. I doubt I would be able to find a current regulating driver that can handle that much current around CPF, unfortunately. I may have to make my own circuit. I hope that you can find something. The Downboy set at 1500mA would be decent (for me atleast), but I wonder if you can tweak that current output any to go higher. For me, multiple modes or the use of a potentiometer would be a plus! I understand that the "off/high" mode can cause problems if you need to use the torch for close work. I got spoiled with dimming capabilities with my quad Seoul 2D mag. I guess that a second dimmer flashlight with a broader beam would be useful and keep the super-thrower a single mode. I am not sure. I plan to have a Rebel 0100, a Cree Q5, or maybe one of those new K2s that may come out put into a 2C mag and ran from 2 18650 li-ion cells. This will be a throwing flashlight, so I may have to scrap the idea of using it for close-up work.

I hope you can find something. If you do need to build your own circuit, it may not be too bad if you do not mind making the circuit larger (not micro-sized). There are several people here on CPF that can help you. There is a bunch of ICs out there with documents to help build the entire circuit. The hard part seems like sourcing all the components...

-Tony

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of going primative, it might not be all that bad to go the resistor route depending on what your goals are. Just put the 2 cells in parallel with reverse diode protection on each one, along with a couple of resistors in series.

Alternatively, use 2 drivers in parallel to get the needed current.

I know that georges80 was working on some higher current versions of his drivers, but I kind of lost track of that project.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the risk of going primative, it might not be all that bad to go the resistor route depending on what your goals are. Just put the 2 cells in parallel with reverse diode protection on each one, along with a couple of resistors in series.
I really like going primative - convenience, simplicity, etc - but you may not get enough volts that way. The diode will drop 0.6V, which means the lithium cells would only be able to provide 3.0V (flat) to 3.6V (fully charged).

Edit: Instead of 3.6V to 4.2V respectively, without the diode protection.

Last edited:

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a bit more thinking about this setup. It is not so different in concept to what I did in my "Breeze" light. In that one, I used 2 x series AW protected LiIon RCR2s driving a WXOS Lux V through a "set" of resistors 2 ohm, 10, and something higher (cannot remember) to get multiple modes.

The RCR2s are happy to make 700ma, and the Lux V is very happy with 700ma, so this a handy place to be.

A pair of similarly protected 18650 size cells would have plenty of voltage to drive a WWOS (see Photon Fanatic for these) and would run a LONG time at almost flatline voltage output.

To get multi mode, the d2dim from taskled would work. A conventional buck driver will work as well in theory, but you are getting close to the differential voltage not being quite enough. I could not find a buck / boost in this V in / Vout range.

I am not trying to start a Cree vs Lumileds war here or anything, but the testing I have done STILL indicates that a quality multi die package is still more efficient at the same power level (watts) than a single die solultion - independent of supplier.

Photon Fanatic had some X bins ( XWOS I think) for a short time, but they sold out quickly, and there is a reason - they are just dang hard to beat for light output in the real world in the 5 - 6 watt range. Just MHO, but seriously consider a WWOS Lux V vs ANY single die product for your project. With 4 x the die area, it is a serious light package. I have tried, and I just cannot go back to a light with only a single 1 x 1 mm die LED.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
torchboy. where can i get instructions on how to do this?
Instructions on how not to include diodes? :thinking:

I'd be happy doing it with well-matched NiMHs, don't know about lithium... they can go :poof: you know.

... the testing I have done STILL indicates that a quality multi die package is still more efficient at the same power level (watts) than a single die solultion - independent of supplier.
All else being equal, four (for example) dice each running at 1/4 the power of a single die will run more efficiently, yes.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
I guess I'm gonna have to forget the idea of a multimode driver

So i have 2 options as i see it.

1) so empty my wallet and buy a downboy

2) To somehow mod a dx or kai driver and get the necessary current or voltage.
Anyone knows how to do this?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could buy several cheap drivers, say from DX,
then wire them in parallel and use switches to power just one, then two, then ...
current should increase in relation

PS: i did several mods with external resistors on Badboys (step-up) but on Downboys this never worked (actually, no downboy ever worked, dunno why. The BBs were great)