brightest maglite for 200

f3rr3t

Newly Enlightened
what is the brightest maglite i could make for 200 bucks not including the light.

what it be possible to build something on par with the hid spotlight from sams

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't think you could build something under $200 that would be on par with the Sams Club HID.

Brightest under $200, well I know you can build a ROP for that price, same with the Mag 85 but non will throw as far or have as much light as a 35w HID. You might need a 100w incan for similar output.

f3rr3t

Newly Enlightened
i could go a max of 275.

im wanting the same light output runtime etc from the sams hid just hand held

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've only seen a handful of HID maglite Mods and those were 10w, not 35 of the Sams Club. You might want to check out the most powerful Maglite mod thread. Be advised that none of these will have much runtime and you'll need replacement bulbs, but it is still fun to light paper in fire with a flashlight.

f3rr3t

Newly Enlightened
hmm someone mentioned buying a surefire and then buy a cree bulb and up the voltage.

my use for this is for night security (yes im a security guard shh) so i need something handhold thats bright as hell to throw up with my beretta

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmm someone mentioned buying a surefire and then buy a cree bulb and up the voltage.

my use for this is for night security (yes im a security guard shh) so i need something handhold thats bright as hell to throw up with my beretta

how much runtime do you need?

reading the post#1 I'd suggest:

mag 3D
12 AAs nimh (titaniums or elites 1700)
3D>12AA battery adapter
metal reflector
glasslens
KIU socket
osram 64623 or 64625 with a dummy cell
charger

without counting mag 3D host you are at about 130$ (depends on the charger quality...I have count the cheaper one...I think it is OK charging nimh)
if you can arrive at 200 I suggest to buy a FM's throwmaster head for 105$ and you will arrive at about 205$.

PS: this prices aren't perfect and without shipping costs...I suggest to check them.

f3rr3t

Newly Enlightened
thats a nice lookin light and yes i need a good throw but bright as hell.

that lens wouldn't last one night

highorder

Enlightened
it sounds like you need a duty light. you can get plenty of light for far less than $100.00

I suggest a Surefire 9P, M3, or something similar running rechargable. it is natural to want the BRIGHTEST thing out there, but not necessary unless you are securing a huge area like a complex of aircraft hangars.

you mentioned needing something to "throw up with your Beretta". If you are facing the kind of threat that may require immediate action, I suggest an Remington 870 (or comparable) with a forearm mounted light, in addition to a duty light.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
you mat need to look inta Tiablo A8 or MRV lights...
these flashlights throw like monsters:D

f3rr3t

Newly Enlightened
it actually is a airfield you darn mind reader. i have a Mossberg 500 but i rather but im partial to my px4 over the shotty.

Patriot

Flashaholic
sounds to me like you need a realiable duty light also. What about a magcharger? They're very bright and you could use a WA1160 bulb in it. There are more exotic formulas such as the 64623s but you're looking for a work light. I suggest something more practical like a mag charger. Second choice to that, since you need lots of throw, would be an incan spotlight with rechargable lead acid battery. These arn't expensive and arn't compact, but they're rechargeable, bright, will throw a long way, and can be switched on and off without issue or warm-up time as required with an HID.

Last edited:

f3rr3t

Newly Enlightened
well something that came to mind it its going to be nearly impossible to cradle the mag and my sidearm at the same time.

grr this is kinda a lose lose situation.

so the order is a small form factor long range throw while being insanely bright.

^everybody's dream light

nitnapz

Enlightened
a small form factor long range throw while being insanely bright.

working with the price range given. It seems to me that you could put together a light for that price, and of course a better one in it's category if you shell out a little bit more.

I think that you should decide whether you want to go LED or incandescent.
This way you know the compromise of runtime and "brightness" that you will ultimately face. as walking around night by night, the battery source will later become important.

here are 2 ideas for a practical mag for your situation.. you'll discover prices later. but LEDs would give you longer runtimes compared to incans.

LED M*g2c/2d/3d with single, tri, quad and up led formations, lumens will range from 140 - 1200 .. somewhat relative to price, but these will give you a longer runtime than an incan inbetween charges

INCANDESCENT M*g2c with lithium ion batteries and philips 5761 bulb. someone correct me if i am wrong but about >700 lumens 1hr plus.

-PRICE is right ? i say given your budget, double it and see what is out there and compare that to your initial choice. a light to me, is more of an investment, and with 100 or 200. paying a little more or double, would amaze you so much to even regret paying the first price you thought of..

just don't have affairs with your lights, women don't like when they get less attention...

f3rr3t

Newly Enlightened
very good point it could save my life if i cant see them im pretty screwed ive only had to draw down twice. but i rather have a bright light.

im almost thinking about a weapon mounted light like a surefire and getting whatever i can out of that housing. i could do an external battery source on my belt

nitnapz

Enlightened
it could save my life if i cant see them. but i rather have a bright light.

it's almost like a quick draw. always know though, that in the night the advantage is easily the one with the brighter light. using the mag host just makes it more customizable. great example is if you shine a mag85 (>1000 lumen) in the direction of a cop with a cheap light, you'd totally drown his light and probably blind him as well.

just a thought

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I've only seen a handful of HID maglite Mods and those were 10w, not 35 of the Sams Club. You might want to check out the most powerful Maglite mod thread. Be advised that none of these will have much runtime and you'll need replacement bulbs, but it is still fun to light paper in fire with a flashlight.

That's not really accurate, unless you go for the top ones on that list, which were designed for projectors. I have not updated the list with the newer bulbs such as the 64430, 5761, and others. As far as bulb life, I have some of mine with over 20 hours on them.

If you want a tight spot with great throw, the LED aspherical is a fabulous option. If you need more overall light output that still throws 200+ yards, there are other incan Maglite Hotwire options. How much continuous runtime do you need? Most people do not need to keep their light turned on continuously when used for throw purposes.