2d malkoff maglite

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, i've been thinking about getting a 2d malkoff mod to round off my collection.

what do you guys think of this light?
how much is it?

how would it compare to the terralux cree?

thanks,
jason

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have Gene's Mag drop-in in a 2D, running 3C batteries so the drop-in runs at 1000mA. It's much brighter than the Terralux 6EXB, and is a MUCH higher quality product with excellent heat sinking.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one in a 3D. Very satisfied.

Here's some 3C trick info I saved from somewhere:

for c cells in d cell maglites.

Reverse the spring. Scrape the anodizing off the inside of the tailcap. Use standard schedule 40 1" pvc (filler/spacer).

Check this out:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2147767&postcount=9

If you click on it enough times, there's a big picture hiding there.

Last edited:

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
so the 3d version is brighter.
i would assume more runtime too.
is it 50% more or not quite cause it sends more power to the led.

i really wanted a bright 2d body.
i had a 2d with 6aa's and a terralux cree in it but i'm parting that thing out or selling it as a 2d rop

i need a 2d to replace it.
unless you guys can think of something different for an old 2d rop converted to a terralux cree?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
so the 3d version is brighter...i really wanted a bright 2d body.

You probably got the wrong idea from the picture. You can put three C cells in a 2D Maglite. 3C or 3D you get the same voltage. Runtime would be better with 3D, but brightness is good to go.

ceramide

Newly Enlightened
I've got both 2D and 3D Malkoff's. Both are brighter than the Terralux equilvalents, although for the price, the Terralux is still a good deal. However, I thought that Gene had his drop-in regulated so that the only difference between a 2D and 3D was runtime, not brightness. If the 3C-2D trick works in the Malkoff, that's good to know. Irregardless, don't hesitate to grab one of Gene's products when available. Also pick up one of his stippled reflectors and a frosted lens from Flashlightlens.com in case you need to use it as a worklight. You won't be disappointed.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gene used to originally do full mods with a different driver in it. That driver was larger in size and does not fit inside the dropin he does now. When he did a full mod, cell variations had 1000mA going to the emitter. The driver in the dropins are variable: With 2 Cells, I think he said it sends like 600-700mA to the emitter. On 3 Cells, 1000mA goes to the emitter and on 4 cells it sends like 1100mA. So that was the compromise going from a full mod to making it a dropin. Either way, a top notch product that Gene makes!

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
does anyone know for sure if a 3d is brighter or the same as a 2d.

this is very important as i would rather have the 2d but do not want to sacrifice brightness so i could live with a 3d

xoltri

Newly Enlightened

this is very important as i would rather have the 2d but do not want to sacrifice brightness so i could live with a 3d

Here is the answer I got from Gene himself when I asked this question a few weeks ago:

"Output is 600ma on 2, 1000ma on 3, and 1100ma on 4. The difference is
seeable on 2 and 3, but hardly noticable between 3 and 4.

Gene"

Anyway, these Mag bodies are only worth about 20 bucks so you can always move the mod between them if you wish, it is not that hard.

lumenal

Enlightened

I've had my Malkoff since May, and I've tried it in 2D, 3D, and 4D Mags.

As voltage increases, so does brightness.

The 3D is noticeably brighter than the 2D set-up, and the 4D is brighter still.

I compared all 3 set-ups in a ceiling bounce test against an L2D CE on turbo.

Obviously, more cells equalled more brightness.

I tried the 3C in a 2D momentarily, reversing tailspring etc., but I didn't want to alter anything, so I ended up getting rid of the 2D and sticking with the 4D.

It seemed one almost needs a hydraulic press to screw the endcap back on. :laughing:

Also, make sure to get both reflectors to see first hand what you like, as both have their own advantages.

Plus, I can also see a difference using the mineral glass lens I picked up for it. That stock plastic Mag window really blocks the photons.

lumenal

Enlightened
how does it compare to the fenix cree.
i didn't catch the results of your comparision.

The Malkoff (4D) was the clear winner in brightness against the L2D CE, on turbo, but not by that much. Its hard to tell by how much when just "eye-balling" it. Was it 40 lumens, or 60 lumens? Hard to say.

Of course, thats 4 power packed D cells vs. two NiMH AA cells. Which is not a fair comparison. I was using the Fenix as a brightness standard while comparing the different combinations of cells and Mags, not a Fenix against Mag contest.

I don't recall how the 2 and 3D compared, as I was just going for brightness amongst the Mags. And the 4D won. (obviously).

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
ok, why is the d cell $10 more than the c cell.
aren't they the same?

which reflector should i get.
what does the beam look like with the regular reflector?
do i need stipple for a artifact free beam or does it have that already.
i don't want a stock maglite ringy looking beam with a hole in the center!