How long has your EDC lasted?

Walking in the Light

Newly Enlightened
I am frustrated with flashlights that poop out after only a short period of use for no apparent reason. This includes sudden failure of the electronics or even strange flickering or dimming that is simply intolerable. Sadly, I've had several costly, name brand, and supposedly dependable flashlights that had to be discarded or returned because of this reason. I am curious to know the brand and model of YOUR light that has lasted a reasonable period of time (say + 2 years or more). Out of my collection, it seems that my present Arc AAA has proved to be the most dependable, although I've had one in the past that mysteriously died after two years (Peter, of course, was more than gracious to replace, as expected.) I have not had a Fenix long enough to make a fair assessment of its durability, but it SEEMS to do pretty well. Your input will be greatly appreciated. Bottomline, I am looking for a flashlight that is dependable.

zigziggityzoo

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry (and sometimes still do) a Maglite Solitare 1-AAA incan light. It's lasted me roughly 6 years, and still works fine. I've had to replace the lamp one time so far. All of my other lights are recent (read: past year) purchases so I cannot say much about them yet.

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I've EDC'ed a Surefire E1e (see signature for details) for over 3.5 years, and now I'm carrying it and a Fenix P2D CE. I keep saying I'm going to put the E1e up for safe keeping, but I have yet to do it.

The E1e has ridden in my pocket with my keys for 3.5 years, the lens looks brand new (not stock lens, however) but the body is a little shiny in places on the gnurling and edges. No functional problems with the light now that I've replaced the tailswitch. The old one was getting difficult to push.

I tend to use the P2D mostly now because it's more efficient and I tend to use its' low mode 90% of the time.

Beamshot

Newly Enlightened
I have carried an surefire E2 Outdoorsman for the past 7 years. About 4 years ago I changed the head on it to make it an LED. No problems whatsoever.

camdz

Newly Enlightened
I used to carry (and sometimes still do) a Maglite Solitare 1-AAA incan light. It's lasted me roughly 6 years, and still works fine. I've had to replace the lamp one time so far. All of my other lights are recent (read: past year) purchases so I cannot say much about them yet.
I had one of these and loved it but went through the 2 stock bulbs in about 3 months...and the replacements bulbs at walmart were terrible so I gave up on it.

Vickers

Enlightened
I had one of these and loved it but went through the 2 stock bulbs in about 3 months...and the replacements bulbs at walmart were terrible so I gave up on it.

I have a Soli that I've had for years. I put an SMJLED drop-in in it about a year ago, and it is much brighter (and the battery lasts forever).

It looks pretty crappy, though.:p

Secur1

Enlightened
Ever since i put Jonathan's Draco XRE on my keys, i have not needed any other light, for EDC use at least.
It's small, tough as nails (6 months riding on my keychain and yet it hasn't developed a single scratch or blemish) and the brightest little light i have ever seen.
Still i am heavily considering a CR2 Ion for the super long run time on low and ease of use on primaries.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I carried an ArcAAA for many years, then carries and E2E, then L4 and HDS 60, then L2. The only one that I had problems with was the L4. At least with the Surefire it's not a throw away situation. It was repaired under warranty along with other surefires that I don't EDC. My mags have also been reliable over the years. I now have five Fenix lights and I've never had the slightest issue with any of them.

Last edited:

redsfairlane

Newly Enlightened
2 Years, wow, most of us (or maybee it's just me) can't hardly wait to get the next one. 2 months is probably about average:laughing:

A bit more seriously though, I could only say that tha Mag in my car has been through quite a lot of use, mild abuse, and I have only ever had to change the bulb a few times, and the rubber button cap once. With the spare bulb located in the tailcap, I have never been without light.

Cheers :grin2:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Arc AAA Premium and E2d (with original lamp!) are still running strong after 3+ years of flashaholism.

I love my fancy regulated multi-output LEDs but its a Surefire incan (E2O) with a twisty switch that rides in my backpack and travels with me overseas. And of course my Arc AAA-P is always in my pocket.

kelmo

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
In late 1987 I replaced a Brinkmann MM clone using MM bulbs, with a genuine MM. I carried that light every day until some time in early 2002, replacing only the bulbs when they burned out. The switch eventually got sluggish but didn't actually stop working. I switched to a new MM for a year but the bulbs started burning out much more rapidly than they had in the past (a Maglight change to prompt more spare lamp sales??)
I then switched to an SF E2e with a KL1 head in early 2003. I carried it until Feb. 2006 when I discovered this site and got an RR 2xAAA .5W and the next month a Fenix L2P and L1P, and two Peak Matterhorns. Later settled on a P1 for about 10 months. Now carrying an LM303 and the Matterhorns. So my recent lights haven't been used nearly as long as my old MM but none have failed on me so far. I wonder what we'll be using in 15 years?

Last edited:

Tremendo

Enlightened
I've been EDC'ing my FF3 (FireFly 3) since I bought it in April '06. Everyday, everywhere. Nothing beats it overall for my portable needs yet, although my P2D-RB100's comes close. I'm about to swap LEDs in the FF3, then it will again be overall leader for my needs by a longshot.

xoltri

Newly Enlightened
I've carried an Arc AAA for the past 4 years but it just started having problems so I may need to get it replaced. It is having intermittent connection issues and no amount of cleaning it has made it better. It will just randomly stop working.

It is my favorite flashlight of all though. My wife is quick to laugh that I spend ~50 (canadian) on it but she is also quick to ask for it when we are camping :)

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current Fenix L0PSE is about 4 months old and works fine. Before that I used an Inova X1 optics version for about 2 years and it still works fine, the only reason I replaced it was the size of the L0P.

Keychain carry for probably 15 years, hard to keep track, has been two Photon II Microlights a red and a white.

Prior to that I carried a Mag Solitare and or a Mag AAA Minimag for about 20 years, the same ones and they never failed. During that same time my outdoor/hunting/camping light was a AA Minimag. They look like crap, and compared to the new lights are dim, but they still both work and I would be willing to risk my neck on their performance today.

Last edited:

WNG

Enlightened
How long it lasts depends on their daily duty, which influences your choice.

I've always gone for convenience and size. I don't need a robust EDC, therefore it's been button cell keychain types, since output and cost eliminated the Mag Solitare and ARC respectively.
I carried a Brookstone LED button cell for 3 years. It was well built and one of the first 'brite' white LEDs. That has since been replaced by a Photon Freedom extra. These occupy my car keyring.

For my house keyring, a RiverRock 'peanut' resides. It's been reliable for 1-2 years. It's been dropped on concrete, banged into steel doors, left on overnight, and still works great and the aluminum body sustained little damage.
Pretty impressive little light for the price. Especially the closeout price!
The keyring loop did get pulled off, but a pair of pliers fixed it...it's only weakness.

The only personal light I may carry on me if more light may be required, has been an old HK made 3AAA aluminum barreled modded Lux-1.
It was a very early 3-LED offering. And the materials and construction was better than the current ones. I swapped in a Lux-1 and Fraen optic, direct drive. It's been with me for 4 years and still running well. Quite reliable, based on KISS principle. Brighter than my EDCs on a dark lonely path, but not too bright for close up work. It's taken a beating.

I have brighter, bigger, more pricey lights. but these I find on me the most. I don't own Mega$$$ lights.
A Dorcy Super 1W cr123a does find itself in my laptop bag for trips.

cslinger

Enlightened
Peak Matterhorn my wife carries for about two years.
HDS U46/B60 since release.
Surefire E1L(1st gen) since release.

Actually I haven't had a light fail on me yet.

CLHC

Flashaholic
My 3[M]ini.Mag w/TW0J Sammie D/I LED which I've been EDC'ing for roughly two (2) years now with no hick-ups. . .

22hornet

Enlightened
Hello,

I have been carrying the same old Maglite Solitaire since 1991. It always worked (but needed some slaps to work sometimes).
It once fell, on a keychain, from 18 meters (20yds) on concrete and no problem. even the bulb was not broken.
Amazingly tough, I hope my recent lights will be half as tough...

Since a year it is fitted with a led upgrade kit MJLED (or whatever 3mm led) and it is doing very well.

Kind regards,
Joris

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I know a friend who EDC's a E1 (See the bottom of my post). He's had it for about 3 or maybe 4 years now. It has the normal Anodizing Scratch here and there buts thats to be expected with use and while being carried in a pocket with key's.

I've been EDCing a E1L for... 2 month's so i don't think my E1L is eligible for this conversation but it has been doing great. Grown on me alot and also helped out in a few situations where without it, i would have been it a bit of trouble

(He is EDCing an E1. Not an E1e. The old E1 Executive.)