1st post, help a brutha out !!!

Saiga

Enlightened
Howdy folks, i'm a fellow flashlight junky, or i THOUGHT i was a flashlight junky till i stumbled across this forum. I had no idea !! some of the threads i've been reading sound like encrypted communications between NASA and the space shuttle. Clearly, i've got a lot to learn.
Anyway, my brothers' new surefire has me looking at higher end lights. I have several OK lights, my favorites are a couple 2AA,1 watt luxeons from sportsmansguide that are identical to the rayovacs wal-mart has for $25. They were well reviewed here, and i think they're great,but i could see a very noticable difference when i saw it up against my brothers' surefire.
so i recently ordered a fenix ( L2S,i believe) from the fenix store. here are its features........
* Uses a 1-watt R-binned Luxeon LED with a life of 100,000 hours
* Current regulation
* Two levels of output, changing by turning the bezel
* The high level: 45 Lumens, 4 hours (Ni-HM)
* The low level: Constant 10 Lumens, 22 hours (Ni-HM)
* Uses two 1.5V AA ( Alkaline, Ni-MH, Lithium ) batteries (not included), inexpensive and widely available (0.9v~3.3v)
* 14.1cm (L) x 2cm (D)(or 5.5 in (L) x .8in (D))
* Made of aircraft grade aluminum
* Anodized finish
* 59-gram weight (excluding batteries)
* Waterproof * Toughened optical glass lens
* Push-button tail cap switch
* Capable of standing up firmly on a flat surface to serve as a candle
* Included Accessories: Holster, Lanyard, Extra O-Rings, Spare rubber switch boot.

For $31 it looks pretty cool to me, but now i'm reading about all kinds of other factors,( R binned,T binned, CREE, under/over driven,etc) and it's all greek to me. i'm not a cop on the beat or a soldier in iraq,so nothing's critical here,and i'm not about to drop $300., but i'd like the best i can get for reasonable money. Basically,i'm hoping for a quick flashlight 101 lesson, and some recomendations on some bad-*** lights that won't cost an arm and a leg,yet won't have me soon wishing i'd have spent just a couple more bucks !! many thanks.....M.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
cancel the order, im DEAD SERIOUS ...NO luxeon get cree or rebel

get this L2T or this L2d and use coupon code " cpf8 " for 8% discount

for the extra few $$ its like jumping from a 4cyl engine to v8 :thumbsup:

and welcome to CPF :)

by getting the RIGHT light first you will save money in the long run

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Greetings and Welcome to CPF!

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy! :wave:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
Like qip said, don't bother with any Luxeon LED's. Buy a CREE or Rebel and you'll be far happier for not a lot more money. The Fenix L2D-CE is an awesome 2AA light with 4 light levels.

Last edited:

Dobbler

Enlightened
In all honesty, I've only been here a few months myself, and the best advice I can give you is to spend a couple weeks reading, searching (although the search function can be frustrating) and see if you can't answer most of the questions that come up on your own. Or at least be able to ask better questions.

If you're not interested in becoming a flashaholic (I am on step ZERO of my 12 step flashaholic program: DENIAL) then take the direct advice of one of the other posts and get a L1T, L1D-CE or L1D-Rebel.

Saiga

Enlightened
thanks guys........i was already eyeballing the L2T !! the L2S has already shipped. no biggie, can't have too many flashlights.right?

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
cancel the order, im DEAD SERIOUS ...NO luxeon get cree or rebel

get this L2T or this L2d and use coupon code " cpf8 " for 8% discount

for the extra few $$ its like jumping from a 4cyl engine to v8 :thumbsup:

and welcome to CPF :)

by getting the RIGHT light first you will save money in the long run
He's right.

Edit: I just saw that it already shipped. Don't worry, it still may be better than any light that you have ever seen (in that category).

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
I am also a n00b to CPF and you said it perfectly! -- "i THOUGHT i was a flashlight junky till i stumbled across this forum. I had no idea !! some of the threads i've been reading sound like encrypted communications between NASA and the space shuttle. Clearly, i've got a lot to learn."

There are a lot of abbreviations and new specs to learn, it almost makes the head spin.

The thing I would appreciate the most is some kind of Primer for N00bs about everything related to flashlights and batteries. Granted, the same information can be extracted after several hours or several dozen hours of searching and reading, but it could be easier and simplified.

I just ordered my first light since joining CPF - the lumahunter M1-R, and I'm sure I will be pleased. Not the cheapest light, but I decided it would be better to just dive right in (The wife was semi-obligated to agree since it will soon be my birthday). :grin2:

copperfox

Enlightened
Yeah, that's quite good, however it seems a bit oudated (lacking a bit in the Cree/SSC section, and doesn't even mention the Luxeon Rebels). Also, there is no mention of the 18650 li-ion battery.

It needs some updates, but I think it should be stickied (is it already?).

Phaetos

Enlightened
Like qip said, don't bother with any Luxeon LED's. Buy a CREE or Rebel and you'll be far happier for not a lot more money. The Fenix L2D-CE is an awesome 2AA light with 4 light levels.

There seems to be a bit of a problem with that statement. I am seeing a lot of the Fenix lights being listed as Luxeon Rebel. Is it a Luxeon or is it a Rebel? It can't be both, can it?

phil000

Newly Enlightened
There seems to be a bit of a problem with that statement. I am seeing a lot of the Fenix lights being listed as Luxeon Rebel. Is it a Luxeon or is it a Rebel? It can't be both, can it?

The L2D-CE uses the Cree XRE-P4. The L2D-RB100 (?, I think that's what it's called) uses the rebel 100, and some others use the rebel 80. The only cree 2 AA from them is L2d ce iirc. They did my a q2 l2d ce, but I think it's already sold out...

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy folks, i'm a fellow flashlight junky, or i THOUGHT i was a flashlight junky till i stumbled across this forum.

Well, you are now.

Take any money you have that you don't want to spend on flashlights and put it in a 12 month CD ;)

LightScene

Enlightened
You can still call fenix-store and cancel your order and refuse delivery of the L1S. That would be your cheapest route.
Or you can simply return it for a refund within 30 days.
The newer lights are more than twice as bright as the L1s.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can still call fenix-store and cancel your order and refuse delivery of the L1S. That would be your cheapest route.
Or you can simply return it for a refund within 30 days.
The newer lights are more than twice as bright as the L1s.

I'd contact 4sevens before I did that. He is another CPF member, and a small business owner. He gives CPF members a discount, he ships quickly, and he is always helping customers out. If you just refuse delivery, he is going to have to pay delivery to you, and also delivery from your address to his. If you contact him he very well may say "it's OK, send it back I'll send you a Rebel for the difference in price". Maybe he won't. In any case, I'd feel better if I asked before did something that was going to cost somebody else some money.:)