solitaire mod??

greenLED

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, poppeye.

That particular mod entails exchanging the stock bulb for a 3mm LED. To power the little beast, you'll need an A23 battery (they're 12V, used in garage door openers). That battery is the same thickness as a AAA, but it's shorter, so you'll need to make up a spacer to make up for the missing length. The spring from a mechanical pen, a screw cut to size, or even a long wad of aluminum foil should work.

Hope that helps. That mod is not very bright, but the LED will glow for a looooooong time.

clg0159

Enlightened
You could also use a higher mcd 5mm led for more light. You can get a new spring to make up the battery distance at a hardware store. Have Fun:thumbsup:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Yeah, you could do that. Personally, I can't resist tinkering with lights, even if they pay the ultimate price in the process. :crazy:

marcdilnutt

Enlightened
I am not sure if he is still around, but LedASAP made me a lovely little pill for a Solitairre that is a tiny boost circuit and a s-bin lux 1. I put that in a HA3 solitairre a got from a group buy ages ago and put a McR11 reflector in it. It is a perfect little EDC and gives loads of light.

Robatman

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, you could do that. Personally, I can't resist tinkering with lights, even if they pay the ultimate price in the process. :crazy:

I think I've lost more money in wrecked lights, blown leds (4 crees on a CPU hotsink!) , and fried boards just simply replacing 5mm leds, than if I had bought the desired light for each project.

Will I stop? No way. Its all learning I guess and hopefully I wiil one day be able to mod lights to my specs not the manufacturers.

Robert

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
I bought several of the original ones and they are much brighter than a stock bulb, but still not all that bright. They are great in the fact that they simply plug right in. Can't comment on the newer versions.....

But now-a-days anything under "Burn yer' eyes out" just simply wont do...:whistle:

Overall I thought they were a good deal for the money, and made a usefull light out of the solitare. They're on all my keychains.

greenLED

Flashaholic
That's the spirit, Robert!! Don't be fooled by all these über-cool and perfect mods people post about - the ones that don't make it are swept under the rug.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just out of curiosity, why do you want to do this modification? I did it because I wanted a bright-ish LED powered light that would fit on my keyring.

However, I have since discovered the Fenix L0D-CE (AAA-powered Cree LED). Same size as a Maglite Solitaire, but blows it out of the water in terms of output!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A white LED requires at least 2.5v to light up visibly and at least 3v for usable light. A 1.5v AAA would not light up the LED.

Why not a L0D-CE, it has more overall light on high then the Maglite 3D. It runs for 5 hours on low. Low has 6 something lumen on and alkaline cell, compared to the 1.6 something of the Solitaire. The solitaire runs for 11 minutes to 50 output.

A cheaper light would be the Fenix E0, 12 something hour runtime at 4 lumens.

If you want to keep your Solitaire and use a AAA battery, you best choice would be this Drop-in at around 6 something lumen output.

rhuck60

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF, poppeye.

That particular mod entails exchanging the stock bulb for a 3mm LED. To power the little beast, you'll need an A23 battery (they're 12V, used in garage door openers). That battery is the same thickness as a AAA, but it's shorter, so you'll need to make up a spacer to make up for the missing length. The spring from a mechanical pen, a screw cut to size, or even a long wad of aluminum foil should work.

Hope that helps. That mod is not very bright, but the LED will glow for a looooooong time.

what keeps the 12 volt battery from blowing the 3mm LED? Isnt 3.6 - 3.8 about the maximum listed voltage for a white LED? :thinking: