Here's a new one....

Secur1

Enlightened
Hi ppl

A few years ago i bought a Logitech MX3100 combo which consists of the MX3000 keyboard and the MX1000 laser mouse (both RF).
A couple of days ago my mouse stopped responding. I tried everything, including installing it on another system, but it seems like the RF receiver on either the mouse or the charging cradle for the mouse is dead.

So i wrote to Logitech support asking for advice.
They wrote back to me on the same day, asking for S/N, P/N, PID, purchase info, scan of the receipt and so on and so forth.
Unfortunately since i bought this product while i was living in Sweden and i am now back in Greece i cannot return it to the shop i bought it, moreover i don't even remember which shop it was or were i can find the receipt now, since i moved around so much.

Now here comes the unbelievable part, after my second msg to Logitech support, stating the above, they replied with this :

Dear Mr. ******

Thank you for contacting Logitech's Electronic Technical Support.

I thank you for writing back to me with your information. As you do not have the proof of purchase for your desktop, please take a photograph of both your old Mouse and Keyboard (in existing state) by placing them on white sheet of paper and then smash the Keyboard and Mouse using a hammer. Now take a photograph again of the damaged Mouse and Keyboard by placing it on a white sheet of paper and mention the reference number that should be clearly seen in the picture attachment. Please send us both the pictures as an attachment (not more than 0.5 MB).

I would be able to replace your defective desktop with a new Logitech 3200 Laser Cordless Desktop as shown in the URL below as Cordless MX3100 desktop is an end of life device which is not available for replacement:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ke...s/140&cl=gb,en

If you have any additional questions regarding your product, please feel free to visit our website at http://www.logitech.com

Kind Regards,

Shreenand B.
Logitech Europe SA
European Customer Support
Now i have never in my life heard of any company covering a probably out of warranty product against physical damage, even more so when it is caused by the owner !
In other words this guy must thing i am a complete idiot and wants me to destroy my hardware in hope that i will be getting a new one....

So who do i contact about this now ?! Cause i don't think i am his first "victim" and at least i am shavy enough not to follow his instructions.....

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
I believe the reasoning behind this request is that they're trying to protect themselves against a consumer paying for one keyboard and actually having two. If you destroy the one you have now, they can replace it with another one. You still will only have one keyboard and have paid for one.
Just my guess anyway.
Edit: having you destroy the old one is faster and cheaper than asking you to ship it to them.

Last edited:

Priestly

Newly Enlightened
I had the exact same thing happen to me with the pet shop and my new puppy!*

*Kidding!

Anyway, I think you're being played by someone who's annoyed that you inquired about an "end of life" product.

verbie

Enlightened
hmm...how strange. i hope someone can give you some good advice on this matter. and i hope you resolve your problem soon.

turkdc

Newly Enlightened
I had a similar experience with a bicycle helmet replacement. Bell offers replacement after a crash of a new helmet at like 40% of the cost of the new one. They do ask that you destroy the old helmet so it isn't used in its "damaged" condition.

Secur1

Enlightened
Well it's official.
I was just contacted by someone in the head offices for EU and he confirmed the fact that, i will indeed receive a new set if i provide evidence of my current one being destroyed.

What can i say, i am even more stumped now but in a good way, hoorey for Logitech !