Fenix tailcaps leaking current?, check yours!

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
Try to check your Fenix tailcaps. I had 4 (L1D, L2D, P2D and P3D,all Cree versions) of them and have noticed that there was a resistance between the tailcap body and the spring contact. Measured resistance is not the same but, some went as low as 50K ohm. This translates to 0.12mA of leakage current for a P3D. This means that your fresh CR123's would just drain out in less than a year without using it.

After taking them apart, it was traced that the leakage was caused by the rubber o-ring. The more you tighten the aluminum retaining ring, the lower is the resistance. I 1st suspected it was moisture accumulation on the rubber so, I thoroughly cleaned them with water or alcohol but, leakage still persists. I believe this problem is not only on what I have since I already have 4 of them and all have similar problems. Although, for lower battery voltages like the L1D, this leakage will become so negligible, it still wouldn't feel right knowing something is draining your battery power.:mad:

I don't know Fenix quality control engineers were aware about this. What I did was that I wrapped teflon tape around the o-ring to fix the problem.

bhjazz

Newly Enlightened
That seems about right, though. The further you screw in the tailpiece, the more contact area you would have between the two pieces, and a good chance that the resistance would go down.

If the leakage was because of the rubber O ring, did you confirm this by removing the ring altogether? Just curious.

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
That seems about right, though. The further you screw in the tailpiece, the more contact area you would have between the two pieces, and a good chance that the resistance would go down.

If the leakage was because of the rubber O ring, did you confirm this by removing the ring altogether? Just curious.
Yes, when removed, no measured resistance.

I miss posted this topic. I made another similar thread here--
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174723

Forum admin, kindly please remove this (where you are now) thread and retain the link above.

Thanks.