How Stupid some people are!!!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
One of my buds and I went looking at motorcycles today. (He was after a 'new ' racebike).

We looked at one with a VERY nice owner that one would really like to give money to.

Then we went to look at another and a dummy showed it to us. He said he's ridden it maybe 4 times in a year.

My buddy knew the drill to get it started and did. It ran kinda sick, and had some pretty stinky gas in it. Anyhow he warmed it up and it ran ok. He road it just a little, and then wanted to get his hardhat out of the truck.

Mister idiot is able to kick off the bike. (One reason he didn't ride it much is he couldn't start it). He proceeded to roost a DITCH right across his front yard... then lifted the front wheel over a shallow wet ditch... then hit asphalt at an angle... then did a wild powerslide..... then saved it and it snapped the other way... then crashed and did a faceplant. He has a purple nasty right under his left eye, some abrasions on his hands, and something painful in the area of his right knee.

More evidence he's an idiot: He has a 406 small block powered model A sedan that he says is fast. Says it's too fast to run on the track. But he races it regularly. On the street.

IDIOT!!!!!!!

Anyhow, my buddy is going to turn this Honda CR500 into a Motard race bike. It should be a real handfull to ride, as that engine makes LOADS of torque with a mere twist of the wrist!!! You need to have it pointed straight when you twist, because it's either gonna spin or wheelie!!!

Should be fun.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

papasan

Enlightened
i miss my bike, sold it not long after my son was born. it wasn't much to look at, an 82 yamaha 750 maxim that sat out in the previous owners yard for 7 years, but it was fun to work on and ride. maybe someday...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
After owning a streetbike from 1977ish to 1998ish and having one again from early 2001 until mid 2002...

I can not see ever owning another. But I really enjoy working on and riding my buddies stuff!

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will defend the right of anyone who wishes to ride without a helmet because I believe in Darwinism. Simply stated, stupid animals are meant to die so they don't breed and dilute the gene pool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Dan

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I hear you Dan and TOTALLY agree, but....

Uh, besides me saying my buddy was getting his Helmet out of his truck when the Idiot crashed, no other thing was said about helmets.

So how did you get to this?:

I will defend the right of anyone who wishes to ride without a helmet because I believe in Darwinism. Simply stated, stupid animals are meant to die so they don't breed and dilute the gene pool.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the guy had been wearing one of these:

Long Link

He would have just bounced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Now, imagine what would happen if that went off accidently while you were driving happily down the highway at 65mph... Almost like pulling the rip cord!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I spent Summers riding in Aspen *many* years ago, when the Colorado helmet law was finally pushed through (over many loud objections). The next morning my buddy and I, and just about everyone else went out and very reluctantly purchased our white Bell helmets, bi*ching and griping all the way.

That beautiful sunny afternoon, wearing that hated helmet while coasting down the gravel road from the "Maroon Bells" parking lot (elevation between 9,000 & 10,000 ft) I was forced off the road by some crazy woman in a station wagon. There was a fairly steep but shallow drop of about 10-15 feet onto a grassy boulder-strewn field. I, or at least my head contacted one of those boulders and I was knocked out, probably momentarily, though it may have been longer. When I regained my senses the woman had stopped her car and was looking down at me. I won't bore you with the conversation that ensued, but the important thing was that I seemed to be unhurt and when I removed my helmet there was a dent with a distinct crack in it.

When I eventually got back to town (that's a story in itself) I went to the Aspen Valley Hospital and had myself checked out. Other than a mild headache and a little fatigue I was fine.

That "hated" helmet had done its job. I never again rode without one.

Brightnorm

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I hear you Dan and TOTALLY agree, but....

Uh, besides me saying my buddy was getting his Helmet out of his truck when the Idiot crashed, no other thing was said about helmets.

So how did you get to this?:

I will defend the right of anyone who wishes to ride without a helmet because I believe in Darwinism. Simply stated, stupid animals are meant to die so they don't breed and dilute the gene pool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, intuitive leap (or blatant assumption) based on having seen this behavior before and the mention of the shiner that the owner of the bike received. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif On the side, good luck to your bud with the CR500 Super-Motard project (I think Cycle World did one a couple of years ago).

brightnorm,

Stop it, your making me homesick for Colorado. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif My favorite time of year to go for a ride in the Rockies was early fall, just as the aspens started changing. The crispness of the air and the intensity of the colors are memories I will always cherish.

Dan

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I never ride far without one myself. It doesn't have so much to do with my head as my EYES!!!

I have had bugs self destruct on my faceshield enough times that I even wear a fullface on my Dads Goldwing!!!

By the way the only helmets which fit my big wally head are Shoei's!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
By the way I guess I can hijack my own thread a bit and mention some of the bikes I remeber best.

I had a 1972 Suzuki T-250 two-stroke twin as my first real street bike. Not fast, lousy brakes But I put a LOT of miles on that puppy!

I had a first year Suzuki GS-750 four stroke 4 cyl. Spoke Wheels, Disk brakes, VERY fast (for the time). LOTS more miles on that one!

I had a 1980 Honda CBX inline 6cyl. Somewhat Evil handling. Decent brakes. What a rush of power! Neatest thing to do was go through a tunnel at 5-6K rpm and listen to it howl and echo. Always reminded me of Formula One cars!

Last streetbike I owned was an '87 Yamaha FJ1200. Decent sport touring bike.

Lost my riding buddies. One dead, one moved away, one never rides his bikes, and one doesn't and won't own a streetbike.

I don't commute. I basically drive my work truck 24/7. So I have no need of a bike for that purpose. And feel safer by a long shot in my truck as well!!!

Anyone else ever owned or owns a cool bike???

Darell

Flashaholic
My favorite two bikes were:

1983 GPz550
1991 DR350s

Antiques by today's standards, but OH, what fun! Haven't had a bike in seven years now. Probably again when Kyra heads off to school...

While I agree with the head-trauma Darwin thing... I still don't like the effect that spilled brains has on society. I'd actually rather see even stupid people wearing helmets (provided I can't convince them to stay completely off of public roads in the first place). With a helmet on, they'll have less chance of losing control and hitting ME.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I wear MY helmet ALL the time! Even now.

excuse me, I seem to have received an electronic letter...

WaltH

Enlightened
Current - Suzuki DR 350 S

Past - Yamaha Seka 650
Honda CR 125R
Yamaha YZ 80
Honda SL 50

Don't ride much anymore. Really none to speak of in the last 5 years since I've been in Florida. I prefer off-roading and there's too much sand here. Speaking of stinky gas I probably need to drain/clean my tank and re-build my carb by now. Stabil only lasts a couple years if I'm not mistaken.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first and only bike was a 72'IT 465 bored 30 over now that was an dinosaur!!! put it to you this way it was one of the first bikes to have a mono shock. Now for the stupid part, my sisters dumb as dirt BF told me the oil was good to go and @ the right level, WRONG!!!! it seized on me! I was going 35 or so! That MF'er!!!.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well....number one, I'm an Arai head (Shoei's give me a headache after a half hour, its my forehead shape) and I wouldn't think about taking my bike around the block without wearing a helmet.

Number two, the first real bike I owned was a worse for wear '67 Ducati 250 Scrambler. This was followed by a '72 Honda XL250 that I commuted and played on for awhile before turning it into a motocross bike. After a period of time I tired of beating myself and the bike up, so I restored it to street legal (though, much more powerful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif ) and sold it. It was only a short time before I needed a speed "fix" again, so I went out and "scored" a used '74 Honda 750 K4. Sticking with my long standing tradition of never leaving anything alone, I soon converted it to a cafe racer and rode it until I got married and eventually sold it.

After 9 years of marriage (and subsequent divorce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) I found a slightly used '92 Yamaha TDM 850 (Super-Motard looks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), that I ride to this day (though I'm considering getting something with "longer legs", so I can do some serious miles this year). I would also like to add the new Buell Lightning to the stable (its the one I use for my avatar). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

Woh, post #250....I just made the transition from "Member" to "Flashaholic"!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Yeah I forgot about one bike...

A 1965 Honda 305 Dream (Nightmare!) It was a second when I had the '77 GS750 I think...

As to Helmets. Physical size first. I laughed at the counter guy and said XL my *** before I tried on a Shoei RF something or other... and it FIT!!! (Then I mail ordered to get the right color and price!).

Back in the day I had a Bell helmet with some foam hogged out at the forehead for fit.

B@rt

Flashaholic
I wish I still could ride a bike... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
I used to have a Honda CBR 600, a great bike to ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif Shoulder problems forced me to trade it in for a Honda VF 750, a custom bike... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
I really had to adjust my riding style, it seemed the thing would only like straight stretches of road, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

As for helmets, both my wife and I have Shoei's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dreck

Newly Enlightened
After 25+ years of riding, I'm throwing in the towel. Way too many idiots in 4-wheelers trying to kill me. Helmet or not it's time to sell the scooter. It's a 1981 H-D Superglide 99% original, one owner.....me. Super clean, adult driven.7000.00 obo, any takers?

Stefan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Anyone else ever owned or owns a cool bike???

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably not the response you are looking for, but I have a hand powered trike that turns heads.
clsicsid.jpg
Does this count?