Pelican M6 Lithium-First Impressions

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I received a Pelican M6 Lithium 2-CR123 3-volt Lithium powered incandescent flashlight 10 days ago.
After 1000 activations of the switch, it did NOT fail once. The octo bezel is both functional and low profile. The knurling is aggressive and will eventually abrade clothing. The circumference of the machined recess that bears the PELICAN M6 Lithium logo is SHARP and WILL induce injury if it contacts flesh aggressively. The edge of the switch endcap that meets the battery compartment is similarly as sharp. I do not understand the purpose of the two o-rings placed just rear of the lamp assembly housing. The lockout tailcap switch function is adequate. I still cannot determine how to remove the bulb. The stippled reflector does a good job of smoothening the projected spot. The product light output is between a Surefire P60 and P61 lamp assembly.

In conclusion, the product is competent but needs refinement. I would recommend this flashlight readily to those that need a good backup light. I am told that the price that is available to the public sector is VERY reasonable. Pelican is going get a very good return on their investment on this product. I already know of over 20 organizations that are buying this product instead of the various Surefire 2 cell lights and even the Streamlight Scorpion due to the pricing structure. Times are tough and budgets are shrinking. This product will help fulfill the requirement of many that employ those wearing 'blue.'

For the members of this board that are looking for refinement, they will be disappointed. For others looking for a good working tool, this one is a viable option.

Regards,
KT

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice review, thanks. streamlight has some new lights coming out soon that should be very interesting.

how do you consider this a better choice for those in "blue" as opposed to a G2 considering the recent price drop?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Administrators,
Please remove the LEDaholic designation beneath my public name.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I didn't indicate that it is a better choice; only that 20 agencies are buying them instead of the others. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Kogatana,

Thanks for that very useful review. I will get the M6 but my expectations will be more realistic than previously.

I was pleasantly surprised to see your old name back, I was getting used to calling you KT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brightnorm

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, I haven't received mine yet...but did notice that Pelican changed the body style from a very nice hexagonal (with a slightly rough texture) to a round/knurled body. Probably to save manufacturing costs.

--dan

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Thanks for the review - it looks like a nice light, I'll have to get a Purchase Order authorization from my wife first, though... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

FNG

Enlightened
Kogatana, what do you carry as your backup? I recently ordered a SureFire G2Z as a backup for my Scorpion and am getting the ASP Tac-Lite to replace my Scorpion (giving it away). Thanks.

TheMenace

Newly Enlightened
What kind of activation switch does it have?

Stinger XT-style: press button for momentary-on, push harder (click) for constant-on.

-OR-

Surefire G2-style: press button for momentary-on, twist the tailcap for constnt on.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Method of activation is "...momentary-on, twist the tailcap for constant on."

My backup since early 1997 has been the ASP Taclite. This choice will likely not change in the near future. The original model Inova X5 serves for general, close-up illumination.

FNG

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
kogatana said:
My backup since early 1997 has been the ASP Taclite. This choice will likely not change in the near future. The original model Inova X5 serves for general, close-up illumination.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you using a holster? If so, what brand/model?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
sounds nice!

does it have a narrower beam (throw farther) than an e2e?

--
"Administrators,
Please remove the LEDaholic designation beneath my public name."
--
see, now you aren't even a "holic", you have no rank! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i would prefer to be a flashaholic again though...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Like all 6 volt, 2-CR123 powered flashlights that I have carried in my front, left trouser pocket since 1993, I did so with the Taclite without a holster. The Pelican M6 is no exception.

On the other hand, I carry the Innova X5 IN a holster made for the Maglite 2AAA. The X5 fits quite snugly and the cordura material helps keeps the light in a vertical position in my rear left trouser pocket.

FNG

Enlightened
Ill get the Tac-Lite when The Product Wizard verifies that the one he is selling has the internal focus. Should all the new ones come with the newer tear drop shaped bulb?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It definitely has a longer throw than the SF E2e when adjusted to the narrowest beam setting. It has a pronounced INTERNAL hotspot half the diameter of the outer one.

Thank you for removing LEDaholic. Not that I disliked it; it was just incorrect. (I would have placed a smilie face here, but I could not find one when I posted this response. I think it is because this is a Quick Reply.)

Empath

Flashaholic
To the left of the quick reply window there is a small link that says 'Use Graemlins'. If you click on it, a small window opens offering the smilies.

Good to see you KT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Thanks for the great review.
With a 200+ hour lamp life I don't think I would ever need to get to the lamp assembly but know others here, expecially LEO's would need to get into the guts. I am still waiting for mine. I plan to do a comparison between an E2E, Scorpion and the Pelican M6 when it arrives. It will be my first full-blown battery-burner lots of pics review. I was doing okey and not even wondering when it would get here until this thread, thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
Can't wait and thanks again.