Tiablo A8: A Battery-Eating Monster?

Velocity

Newly Enlightened
Hey, people

I picked up the Tiablo A8 a few weeks ago, having heard good things about it, and loaded it with a new 18650 lithium. I was very, very impressed with Tiablo's throw on high-beam (210L). After testing it a few times (maybe 20 minutes total), I placed it on the shelf with my other torches and didn't use it again until tonight.

Shortly after I switched to high beam tonight, the Tiablo just went dead. I clicked through a few cycles and wasn't getting anything, so I went back inside to load a couple of RCR123A lithiums.

The Tiablo came back to life, but my relief was short-lived. Now the low beam and high beam are practically identical in output — it's like having two 60L lowbeam settings.

Now, I concede that I didn't test my lithium batteries to make sure they were at full power, so this could conceivably be a problem with the batteries.

But I'm here to ask if anybody has experienced similar problems with the Tiablo A8 — is it known as a battery monster? Do the Tiablos have a defect history?

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the input voltage is 2.3 to 6 volts for the T8. The T9 on the other hand is 2.7 to 10 volt input. (Per batteryjunction.com at least.) You may have damaged the circuuit board. Maybe where you bought it from would allow you to return it?

looman

Enlightened
Hey, people

I picked up the Tiablo A8 a few weeks ago, having heard good things about it, and loaded it with a new 18650 lithium. I was very, very impressed with Tiablo's throw on high-beam (210L). After testing it a few times (maybe 20 minutes total), I placed it on the shelf with my other torches and didn't use it again until tonight.

Shortly after I switched to high beam tonight, the Tiablo just went dead. I clicked through a few cycles and wasn't getting anything, so I went back inside to load a couple of RCR123A lithiums.

The Tiablo came back to life, but my relief was short-lived. Now the low beam and high beam are practically identical in output — it's like having two 60L lowbeam settings.

Now, I concede that I didn't test my lithium batteries to make sure they were at full power, so this could conceivably be a problem with the batteries.

But I'm here to ask if anybody has experienced similar problems with the Tiablo A8 — is it known as a battery monster? Do the Tiablos have a defect history?

No the Tiablo is not cell eater BUT it runs better on 18650's for which the driver was specifically designed. Primaries are ok in them but have issues. For starters, you have to run the primary on low for several mins before selecting high. You may have to repeat this for a while depending on how much and for how long you run the unit.

The main issue i had (and now seems to be cured on the 18650's is that on primaries on high, the lamp would run for a few minutes then switch off for 2 seconds, then come on for 2 secs then off.on..off..........bloody annoying.

Only got the 18650's last night but i slammed one in and it came straight on high without a problem and when left on high for 15 minutes, it did not flicker.

It does sound as though you may have a problem circuit here

Velocity

Newly Enlightened
The Tiablo A8 can use 2x CR123A batteries or one 18650 lithium. Check the specs:

Tiablo A8 Product Info

I've followed the instructions to the letter, so if the circuit is defective, they owe me a new Tiablo.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiablo A8 can use 2x CR123A batteries or one 18650 lithium. Check the specs:

Tiablo A8 Product Info

I've followed the instructions to the letter, so if the circuit is defective, they owe me a new Tiablo.

Yes it can use 2 CR123 batteries (3.0v) but not 2 RCR123 (3.7v) batteries. The rechargeable RCR123 batteries can put out 4.2 v when fully charged totaling your input to about 8.4 v. In your original post you said you used some RCR123 batteries. Probably not good for the circuit.

jrv

Newly Enlightened
RCR123's are quite different from CR123, 7.4v vs 6.0v in this case, and the web page says 6v is the max. In fact fully charged RCR123 are 4.2v, so you may have put 8.4v across a 6v-rated flashlight, 40% over voltage.

Velocity

Newly Enlightened
RCR123's are quite different from CR123, 7.4v vs 6.0v in this case, and the web page says 6v is the max. In fact fully charged RCR123 are 4.2v, so you may have put 8.4v across a 6v-rated flashlight, 40% over voltage.

No, that was just a typo on my part, I meant CR123A.

Interesting development since I first posted. I dug around and found my intelligent battery charger and shot a little juice to the 18650 lithiums...until I got a green light, that is, then the charger automatically stops charging.

Well, with what I know is a fully-charged 18650, the Tiablo has returned to normal, with a screaming 210L highbeam. No problem at all now.

But what this tells me is that the "brand new" lithium batteries I purchased were already seriously depleted before I ever used them the first time. IOW, I was already near the bottom of the lithium tank when I first used the Tiablo, and 15 minutes of use later it quite properly shut down (the Tiablo doesn't dim out, it just shuts down when the batteries start to significantly weaken).

So, all is well in Tiablo town. Now if there was just a way to cancel that passionately disappointed and accusatory email that I sent to the dealer. :oops:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
But what this tells me is that the "brand new" lithium batteries I purchased were already seriously depleted before I ever used them the first time. IOW, I was already near the bottom of the lithium tank when I first used the Tiablo, and 15 minutes of use later it quite properly shut down (the Tiablo doesn't dim out, it just shuts down when the batteries start to significantly weaken).
That's right, the A8 circuit is extremely well regulated on 18650 and CR123A, so you get a very rapid drop-off once the batteries are exhausted. You can compared the runtime pattern to other "throwy" lights here:
DX Cree Projection vs Lumapower MRV vs Tiablo A8: RUNTIMES and detailed pics!

So, all is well in Tiablo town. Now if there was just a way to cancel that passionately disappointed and accusatory email that I sent to the dealer. :oops:
Chalk it up to experience :). Of course, nothing stopping from sending a kindly worded apology. :whistle:

Incidentally, you might want to pick up an inexpensive digital multimeter (DMM) to allow you to check the voltage of your batteries yourself. A good tool to have around, since I don't alway trust "intelligent" chargers either. Even the cheapo ones DX sells would be fine ...

robm

Enlightened

IIRC LiIon are supplied with between 40 and 60% charge, as long term storage at full charge is 'bad' for the long term life of the cells.
As a result I always charge new cells before use.

robm

Enlightened
My mistake - I thought the brand new batteries, and 15 minutes run time referred to the following :shrug:

Hey, people

Shortly after I switched to high beam tonight, the Tiablo just went dead.

LightScene

Enlightened
Lithium rechargeables need to be charged before first using them. They won't reach their full capacity until they have been used and recharged a few times.