Need recommendations for a UV (Ultraviolet) light

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, am not much of an expert in UV lights and its hard to search for a 2 letter word!

My friend is looking for a quality UV light for some industrial use... I think it was spotting some bacteria or something. I'm not so sure what wavelength is needed, but anyway, can anyone recommend some quality UV lights that have a decent output and good mix between throw/flood?

Are there any Cree/Seoul UVs or only Luxeons (if any)?

I would prefer that the light not be some cheapie 12-LED 5mm UV light :D

Links, pics etc.. much appreciated!!

P/S Can I just get a regular cree LED light and put a UV filter? Any light that has filters that will fit perfectly? (I'm thinking most camera filters tend to be like 60mm or so... any smaller off-the-shelf UV filters if this can be done at all?)

Last edited:

TacticalGrilling

Newly Enlightened
One of the best UV lights I've found, for forensic work or otherwise, is the Inova X5 UV. Should be able to find them at any decent online police equipment shop.

Be Safe, Grill Tactical.

-Nick
TacticalGrilling.com

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the suggestions... the X5 uses regular 5mm type LEDs right? I would prefer a Cree or Luxeon. I know Inovas are built like tanks, but the latest emitter might be nice.

I will look up the A19 and Jil UV :D

Otherwise, I would probably recommed my friend the 2AA Maglite with TLE-5UV terralux 1w Cree UV dropin.

Patriot

Flashaholic
+1 for the A19. You might also try the Jil UV. It is ultracompact and IIRC it runs the same emitter found in the A19.

LEDcandle, I'm looking for a bright compact UV light also. If you wouldn't mind me also butting in for a minute...I wanted to ask if CPFers thought that the A19 would be nice on a Vital Gear VG-2 body?

Also where is the Jil light available from? I haven't seen them in a while.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few UV lights.
One is a photon it works pretty well.
another is an ARC AAA UV it is pretty good too.
M favorite and most powerful is the little JIL IV that I have I am pretty sure it uses a CREE emitter and it puts out a hell of a lot of UV.
Oh and I also have a miniature UV TUBE like a florescent tube except that it is UV. It works well..as well.
I have heard GRET things about the INOVA X% UV light. I suspect it puts out a boatload of UV.
One thing to remember is BE CAREFUL.
BTW One interesting way to test them is to Shine the light on credit cards and drivers licenses. CC's have hidden things as do many DL's.
Again please be careful..especially with the more powerful lights.

Yaesumofo

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for more input. Garageboy, yeah, I kinda figured the filter thing out after I posted it... haha...

The Arc AAA looks nice, but as mentioned, the output looks rather low. I guess the X5 is a possible choice, but I'll preferably settle for a UV Cree.

The Jil UV looks nice but we don't really need the small form factor (and subsequent lower runtime). Besides, it looks discontinued on Litemania's site.

Maybe this calls for a custom 1C mag with 3 Cree UVs :D Anyone with a multiple hi-powered UV LED mod? I remember seeing something before.

Spypro

Enlightened
I'm looking to UV flashlight too.
But I'm a little bit confused with the wave length and all.
I heard that "the shorter is the better".
I want to look up at bills, fingerprints, stains on carpet and other funny things.
~50$ budget
AA or 123A (rechargeable)

I'm thinking about the Inova X5 or Xenopus flashlights.

Your recommandations ?

Thanks !

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
LEDcandle;

I've built and sold a couple hundred UV lights over the last a couple of years.

I started with eight 5mm 395nm LEDs powered by a lithium ion 1350 mah battery.

Then I tried 20 to 50 of the 5mm 380nm LEDs powered by 1800 mah lithium batteries.

Next came the 1 watt Cree UV 395 nm LEDs with 2200 mah lithium batteries.

Now, I build Cree 2.5 watt 395 nm LED lights with aspherical lenses & 2400 mah Lithium batteries (Also in UltraFire C2 bodies).

Each light worked a little better for fluorescing the the common items such as urine, scorpions and UV dyes.

The 380 nm worked well, but didn't have the brute power that Flashaholics have come to enjoy.

The 2.5 watt UV Crees are the leader in my testing.

Larry Cobb

Last edited:

winston

Enlightened
I'm looking to UV flashlight too.
But I'm a little bit confused with the wave length and all.
I heard that "the shorter is the better".
I want to look up at bills, fingerprints, stains on carpet and other funny things.
~50$ budget
AA or 123A (rechargeable)

I'm thinking about the Inova X5 or Xenopus flashlights.

Your recommandations ?

Thanks !

If you find a Xenopus light for $50 let me know. I think they run between $300 and $700.:faint:
-Winston

Patriot

Flashaholic

I like the idea of the $40 xenopus over the x5. I think it would be brighter depending on how hard they're drivin. I'd ask xenopus how it compares to the x5 and see if you like there answer. The company has a good reputation.