CREE XR-E lens question ???

tomL

Newly Enlightened
I have a Luxeon flashlight I bought a few years ago, one with three 3W stars under a triple reflector.

I was thinking of replacing the three Luxeon 3W stars with three of the Cree XR-E Q5's.

But it looks like the Cree bubble lens would get in the way. How easy is it to remove and/or replace this? Does it just lift off? I don't want to destroy my MRV in experimenting with it's LED. How would the un-bubble-lensed CREE work with the smallish triple reflector?

Thanks, TomL

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It's easier to use a Seoul LED since it is more compatible with the Luxeon LEDs. They both have similar emitting patterns but the Seoul needs a 0.030 inch lift and has to be isolated from the heat-sink. Are the Luxeons mounted on a star or a bare emitter?

Do not remove the Cree glass and metal parts, this might destroy the LED by breaking a bond wire.

poster77

Newly Enlightened
I have successfully removed the lens that sits above the reflector cone on the top of the Cree XR-E's. It is attached to a silica like gel that fills the reflector cone and covers the die/phosphor. A razor blade or similar tool will allow you to get under the lens and then you can gently 'peel' it away from the gel below. I have done this successfully on 4-5 XR-E's with no damage to the LED. I have not measured the resulting beam profile.

SemiMan

Banned
If you like the flashlight you may just want to wait a little while for new K2 parts. You may need to still shave the edges a bit, but electrically they are closer to LuxIII and they are similar optically as well. They will have a more even beam than Seoul.

Semiman

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think someone here on CPF experimented removing the dome and apparently the led tint shifted to green

AlexGT

Sirius

Newly Enlightened
This is funny, I was just going to post that my CREE Q5 Lens just accidentally came off. And what adhesive to use to put it back on. Any Suggestions ???
Isn't there something better to use than this gel crap ?..:mad:......oops I mean stuff.:whistle:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Does the LED still work?

If the dome fell off, then there is usually no way to fix that. You should try to get a replacement.

The Edison Opto has a closer beam pattern to the Luxeon the then Seoul and it is also pretty cheap and has similar performance compared to the Cree. But it produces a yellow corona around the hotspot if used with a reflector.

Latest posts