Help picking Flashlights!

T

TD34

I am a LEO. I currently have a Streamlight XTHP, which I like and have a back up battery (the light only last an hour..so a back up battery is needed). I am now looking for a regular flashlight with batteries for a back up (maybe the Arc). I am also looking a flashlight with a red beam, maybe the stylus? I want something with regular batteries. I really enjoy this site and my boyfriend thinks I have a flashlight problem (lol)...you have to see the bad guys. Thanks for any help,
TD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif [email protected]

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
HHHmmm...In my LEO experience, I've downsized a bit, and currently carry a Stinger XT on the belt, and have in the radio car a full size duty light.

Other options, for you, would be a small two cell lithium powered light as back-up: Consider a Surefire P series or G-2, or a Streamlight Scorpion.

For a red-beam, I don't like red because it is detrimental for human-eye night vision. I do like the Stylus' from Streamlight, especially the Stylus-3 in green LED and the no longer made Stylus-2 in amber LED.

--dan

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You'll have to list your needs for us to advise you on which light you should get, like, close range or medium range or long range use? Flood or spot? Preferble run time?

T

TD34

1) I am looking for a bright light..almost a combo of Spot and Flood (Mainly Bright). I have the Stinger XTHP Streamlight, which I like (but battery life is short). I am looking for a light that is compact..fits in my pocket. Backup flashlight with easily replaced batteries. So I was thinking of the Arc or any other suggestions?
2) I am looking for a light for night vision. I thought Red was the better choice? Blue? I am looking to read papers at night and keep my vision. I was looking at the stylus, but it has odd batteries? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help in advance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Definitely agree with Dano...

A good backup would be a SureFire 6P, Z2, or G2Z, or similar two cell (lithium 123) flashlight on your Sam Brown. But if you're looking for a red colored light, again, as Dano mentioned - not a particularly good option. Of course, this is just an assumption that you're going to use it for writing in the log, doing miscellaneous low-light activities. Instead, and my advance apologies for bringing up the SureFire A2, but I'd go with the A2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you're not familiar with its features (just released by SureFire), you at least have the option of a 3 lumen LED light source, as well as the 50 lumen light for a quick Harries technique should you need it. It's smaller than the SF6P, but also has the tactical momentary-on switch in the tail.

Just my opinion... and just to add, I used a SL UltraStinger for my main light source, a 6P as a backup, and a Z3 (three cell) in my war-bag as a backup to a backup when I was working a basic "A" car.

Good luck -

-Jim

FNG

Enlightened
http://countycomm.com/light8.htm

quiqofficer.jpg
liteflat.jpg
LitePocket.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
QuiqLite is loaded with features that no other flashlight has:
Clips onto shirt pocket for hands-free operation.
Rotating light arm allows for lighting angle perfect for your individual needs. Closes to a flat position when not in use. Although designed to fill the needs of a police officer it's features can be used and appreciated by field journalists, fire-fighters or investigators, security officers, taxi drivers, tow truck operators and anyone else taking or reading notes in dark environments

OTHER FEATURES INCLUDE:
Super bright white LED with wide angle beam
Comes standard with 2 lithium batteries.
Batteries provide approximately 40 hours of continuous use.
Lithium batteries are easily replaceable.
Instant On/Off with the touch of a button.
Battery saving automatic 5 minute shut off timer.
Super thin, sleek design comfortably rests in shirt pocket.

[/ QUOTE ]