Which to to buy? Tiablo A9 w/ Cree or LumaPower MRV SE w/ Cree

GBone

Newly Enlightened
I can't decide which to purchase...

Looking for great throw, and will be using CR123A, no rechargeables.

Also, it is not for EDC, just certain situations...

I thought I saw a chart that showed the A9 had a better regulated run time at full output. It appeared that the A9 ran at full brightness for most of the time and then simply shut down, and that the MRV gradually declined its output through most of the batteries life.

I'm new to the high powered LED's, so please help... Thank you for your input!

cmichael

Newly Enlightened
I can't decide which to purchase...

Looking for great throw, and will be using CR123A, no rechargeables.

Also, it is not for EDC, just certain situations...

I thought I saw a chart that showed the A9 had a better regulated run time at full output. It appeared that the A9 ran at full brightness for most of the time and then simply shut down, and that the MRV gradually declined its output through most of the batteries life.

I'm new to the high powered LED's, so please help... Thank you for your input!

I like my A9 alots, don't know much about about the MRV running time, But my A9 can throw nicely in 100 Yeard..:twothumbs
TiabloA9013.jpg

Last edited:

daveman

Enlightened
Hello Bone, if you'll be running your light on CR123s, I recommend you go with the A9. It outputs at peak level for around 2 hours regulated. You will have a few minutes of declining output to remind you it's time to change to fresh batteries. I would go with the A9, it throws farther as well.

clintb

Enlightened
I haven't taken delivery of my new MRV SE yet, but went that route because of two things:
1. Styling of the MRV. Yeah, call me weird, but it looks better to my eyes.
2. I like the how the light output is adjusted with the rotating ring.

Crossing fingers it gets delivered tomorrow...

Patriot

Flashaholic
I don't own a Tiablo, but the I was so amazed with the quality, contruction and performance of the MRV that I have a second one on it's way...a Q5. In some of the other treads they talk about the difference between just holding the two lights in you hand and about how the MRV feels more substantial. Now doubt that the A9 is going to throw better. I think it just depends on what's most important in your eyes, all out throw or all out quality.

fordwillman

Newly Enlightened
The A9 is no slouch to the MRV in quality. Aircraft 7075 aluminum allows it to weigh less and still achieve a very high durability. I have an A9 dont have an MRV yet, but the Tiablo A9 is high quality, taking a backseat to none. One of the best lights I have. I was very surprised to find the A9 has great throw (knew that) but also good, useable spill (not expected).

tomL

Newly Enlightened
I bought both a few weeks ago, and like both.

I have the A9 with an orange peel reflector and the MRV with the smooth reflector.

The beams are different, but it's hard to tell which I prefer. The MRV SMO seems to have brighter but narrower center-spot then the A9 OP.

I think the A9 OP is more practical than the MRV SMO, and for this reason am thinking of adding some RiteWrite film to the MRV or buying an OP reflector.

But on the other hand, it is kinda nice to have both just as they are, one for each hand.

daveman

Enlightened
... I think it just depends on what's most important in your eyes, all out throw or all out quality.
I don't like your comparison, it implies one is choosing between superior throw (A9) and superior quality (MRV) when deciding between the two lights.

The Tiablo A9 DOES throw farther than the MRV (just slightly), this we know for a fact, check out Stefan's review thread.

The MRV weighs more than the A9, so it is heavier. HOWEVER, the A9 employs HA finishing also, and there has been no complaint from ANYONE who has both the A9 and the MRV that the A9 suffers by comparison to the MRV in terms of finish and quality.

Edit to add: Member StefanFS posted the following in this thread
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/174876

"Tiablo actually claim they use 7075 T6 alloy, which is a bit tougher than 6061. The alloy used in the Tiablos are harder than the alloy used in my MRV's. My Tiablo A8 dented my first generation MRV when I accidentally bumped them, the Tiablo didn't get a mark.
Stefan"

Last edited:

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I compared the A9 with regular MRV and threw in a cheapo Sergio from Kaidomain ( https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=2443 ) and found out that the beamshot of the MRV is the cleanest much less color rings on the outside. Yes the MRV feels much heavier than the other two but as far as the throw which I tried at 30 yards away, I could NOT tell the differences. One note: after I left them on for a while, only the MRV felt warm around the head whereas the other two were still "cold". Someone told me that because the copper heatsink in the MRV. In use, the MRV is more convenient because of the power ring whereas the A9 will start off at low and you have to click one more time for high power. On budget folks may want to look closely at the Sergio for $35.02 you will get 8 modes if you don't mind the bigger head.

L1020556Medium.jpg

L1020560Medium.jpg

L1020567Medium.jpg

Left to right; MRV, A9 and Sergio:

L1020575Medium.jpg

At 30 yards 2 stops under exposed: MRV, A9 and Sergio:

L1020577Medium.jpg

A9
L1020578Medium.jpg

Sergio:
L1020579Medium.jpg

Last edited:

gsegelk

Newly Enlightened
You can't go wrong with either, but if it were me and I wanted to use CR123's, I would pick the MRV hands down simply due to the output selector ring being separate from the clickie. I don't have the MRV :)whistle:yet), but I think it would be really nice to select which brightness you want before turning it on. Granted, this isn't a huge deal with the A9 given only 2 modes, but if I'm using the low level output for when I don't want too much light, I have to click through the blinding high level before turning it off. This is the only major difference between these lights, so IMO it really comes down to personal preference about which switch you would prefer.

On a side note, I just bought the Tiablo A8-Q5 from MattK (3rd purchase from him:thumbsup:...excellent dealer!) and a cheap Q2 light from DX (http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6951) that looks identical to the cheap light pictured in the previous post. NOTE: Although I ordered the one in the link, I actually received a WF-600 that takes CR123's/18650. Anyway, comparing the beamshots of each with the smooth reflector in the A8, it would be extremely difficult to tell which one is which. Looking at the runtime graph, the A8 is MUCH better but this alternative light should be in the running if bang-for-the-buck is a heavy factor for you. With that said, there is no question that the A8/A9/MRV are superior lights in terms of regulation, construction, and support.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Lot of good points raised here, but I'm surprised no one has pointed out the Tiablo's don't have anodized tailcap threads. So there's no tailcap lockout option available, llike there is on the MRVs. Personally, I find that a significant point in how I like to carry and use a light.

Incidentally, I also have the cheap DX thrower, and it's output and runtime is virtually identical to the MRV. See the review thread link in my sig.

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I bought the MRV-SE over the A9. It will be my first high performance LED flashlight.

The selling point for me was the following MRV advertisement;

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Modular design allows for easy upgrades (as available).
[/FONT]
I assume these means it will be easier to get an R binned Cree for the MRV in the future without buying a new light.

Is this an accurate assumption?

tanasit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot make specific promises but LP has a well known history of offering an upgrade paths for it's customers.

So when I can buy only the upgrade engine with Q5 for the original MRV?
:popcorn:

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
As has been repeatedly posted that's not available - Q5's are not available in sufficient quantities. That doesn't mean an upgrade path will not be offered for MRV's in the future.

Show me one other manufacturer who doesn't just say, 'buy a new light.'

Latest posts