Fenix P3D Rebel 100 vs Lava Tube

luigi

Enlightened
I took my P3DR100 in my trip to the Volcanos National Park in the Big Island of Hawai'i. Among several interesting things you can explore some lava tubes that are completely dark so a flashlight is needed.

Tourists were using common plastic lights or headlamps you could see the yellowish orange hotspots of the headlamps and lighs very dimly in the dark. The P3D on Max or Turbo just lighted up the whole place. Some quotes:

"Daddy why is that light brighter than ours?"
"That is a serious flashlight"
"Oh my god what is this?"

This is a picture from the complete dark lava tube painted with the P3D.

No need to say I was quite happy :)

Luigi

victor1

Newly Enlightened
Daddy, I want one of those :poke:

I know the feeling. I was by the ocean docks one night and I lit up the whole pier with my P2D. You could see the fish scrambling for cover under the boats. One person was blown away by this cause he couldn't see the flashlight in my hand. He came up to me and said "Wow, what kind of light is that?". I said it's not a light, it's a "torch" :twothumbs

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
luigi,
NICE! Great picture and story. All of you talking about your Fenix rebels and the pics you are posting finally made me order one today. Thanks for the photo and the story.

mr.squatch

Enlightened
Lol, I thought this was a comparo thread between a fenix and a lava-lamp :p Awesome pic. I love showing non-flashlight-nerds how bright a tiny torch can be. :)

g

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What a great way to enlighten someone, I'm betting at least one of them bought a LED light shortly afterwards(Though I doubt it was anything but a 5mm or a Luxeon I/III light)

Great picture, Hawaii is on my list of places to see.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Lol, I thought this was a comparo thread between a fenix and a lava-lamp

Yeah, my brain did the same thing....:laughing:

luigi, that's really neat! It makes me wish that I was there. What other light am I seeing in the picture? It looks like one pointed at the roof of the cave, one on the ground and I guess that's the camera flash too right?

QXS71

Newly Enlightened
Luigi,
That is to funny. I recently had my own moment like this.

Last Thursday, my wife and I drove down to Meramec Caverns. I had my Fenix P3D Rebel 80 with me as it's my new edc light.
While we were on the tour through the caverns, our guide's flashlight, a cheap 2D plastic light, was slowly dimming. He was trying to point out a spot where a movie had been filmed when there was a collective gasp from the group as his light went out. Silly people, the footpath lights were still on! I whipped out my Fenix, turned it on in turbo and pointed it where he had been pointing his light, which from my position in the group, pretty much covered the tour group with the sidespill. I heard several comments from the crowd and our guide exclaimed "Wow! Thank you to the guy in the back." As people turned around to look at me, they all throw their hands up in front of their faces and I hear a few comments including "WTF?" and "holy sh*t that's bright!" :crackup:
After that I moved up and followed our guide illuminating a few spots here and there where the built in lighting didn't provide near enough light.
After the tour, I told our guide he should talk to management about buying them some nice LED lights. He said the guides have to provide their own flashlights. :shakehead He told me that several other guides have upgraded their Mag Lites to LED and then he tells me "I'm not spending that kinda money on a flashlight!" :banghead: I told him then you don't even want to know what this one cost and walked away... man, some people just don't get it..

John