which 2AA fenix, and why.....

Saiga

Enlightened
I'm already looking at another light. First off, i'm interested in AA over 123's because of price,availability and compatibility with my other lights. I'm also interested in 2AA over single AA, as these things are plenty compact already IMO, plus i prefer more power/longer run times.
so i'm looking at 3 fenix's :
L2T v2.0 RB80 @ $48.
L2D CE @ $56
L2D RB100 @ $63
The price difference is a factor,but not to a huge degree. I'm leaning toward the RB80 because it has only two settings,and have long been annoyed at the tendency of manufacturers to over-load everything with a million different features, trying to one-up their last over-engineered marvel. But i'm beginning to rant:whistle:. anyway, anything at all on the pros and cons of these is much appreciated.

mchlwise

Enlightened
The L2T and the L2DR80 should be pretty compatible as far as output, so if you aren't into features, go with the L2T.

If you want the features of the L2D (which really aren't very complicated), there is a slight brightness advantage with the Rebel over the Cree, and the beam looks smoother - if you're into that.

:shrug:

BlackDecker

Enlightened
I own a L2D CE and really the multiple modes are very easy to use when you need them. Most of the time, I just run mine in Low or with a click then another half-click run Medium. The runtime on Low and Medium is very impressive, especially with good NiMh batteries like the Sanyo Eneloop or Rayovac Hybrid.

Vickers

Enlightened
I can recommend the L2T RB80.

I made the mistake of buying a couple of lights with all the SOS/strobe nonsense, and found that the only time I used them was to impress coworkers.

It's almost as bright as my 2 X RCR123A Cree flashlights.

The high can light up the corner of my yard (about 40 feet), and the low is good for up-close work (I'm a flight simulator technician).

I think the beam pattern is nicer on the Rebels.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
the two mode light has cons:

low could be too low for most uses (while it still is too bright for a Low, but ...)
and offers only the "2 hour cell dead" high mode.

Thats why the 4 hour "high" of the "D" models is the best level in the Fenix circuit.

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the L2D Rebel 100, and I use medium mode a lot. It has the advantage of being bright enough for many jobs without using a lot of battery power. So no worries that the job will take more then a couple hours... In fact I use low, medium, and turbo, so just having two brightness modes would seem like a loss to me.

On the L2D series if you just turn the light off and on via the clicky you will only see one mode. If the head is tight that mode is turbo, if slightly loosened then the mode is low. Or you could think of the light having two modes, turbo or low depending on if the head is tight or loosened. The only time you will see the other modes is if you turn the light on, then off, and then back on within two seconds.

OK, now with all that said, if you don't like the extra modes and you want simple, as was said, you answered your own question, get the L2T. You save money and the brightness is not that different, in fact even side by side you may not see the difference in brightness.

tsia

Newly Enlightened
I got the L2D but still went and ordered a L2T as I personnally prefer forward clickies and I can click my own SOS if the need arises.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ended up with a L1Tv2 and a L2D100. You can mix and match the 1xAA and 2xAA tubes until you find the light you want. I like them the way they came. The rebel 100 needs the two AA cells to rock and roll. The L1Tv2 has the rebel 80, but a 100 wouldn't give you much more noticeable light with a single AA cell.

As to the L2D, I use turbo all of the time and only save the lower modes for "emergencies". The stupid strobe should be buried in a "press and hold for 3 seconds" interface if you ask me, but although it comes on too easily, it also goes away just as easily. You learn to keep your thumb off the switch which isn't hard as it's a long light.