6P LED loose endcap threads? [solved]

MattRSE

Newly Enlightened
I searched this site and googled for this info, but no luck, so I'll ask the pros here.

Today I bought a wonderful Surefire 6P LED model, and I'm concerned about the end cap threads being loose. It appears that the threads may have been cut out of spec because the end cap wobbles slightly when I press the momentary switch (with the cap rotated to the proper momentary position, with the indentations lined up). I can even feel that it's loose as I thread it on, all the way up to the "lockout" position, at which point it obviously becomes tight due to it being at the end of the end cap's possible rotation. I know that it's not the momentary switch, because I can hold the end cap between my fingers and move it back and forth parallel to the main body axis and it's definitely moving a bit.

I'm not sure if the threads on the body are out of tolerance or if the threads on the end cap are out of tolerance (or both!) but it definitely feels "loose". Is this normal? Has anybody seen this type of thing from Surefire before? It definitely does not feel like something I'd expect from a quality manufacturer like Surefire. None of my Streamlight products (TL-3, TLR-1) have any tolerance issues. This is my first Surefire though.

Thank you for your help!

Model: 6P LED
Revision 7-1-2007

Last edited:

MattRSE

Newly Enlightened
Re: 6P LED loose endcap threads?

Just FYI, a little white lithium grease on the body threads (endcap side) tightened the endcap right up. BTW, I went back to the Surefire dealer who sold me this light, and we determined that all the other 6P's had some "wiggle" in the end caps. Also, Surefire hasn't replied to my email request for support yet. I guess it's the weekend in California too... heh.

At any rate, no matter, problem solved.