Should I get this?

flash_bang

Enlightened
Well, I'm taking an astronomy class, and I'm thinking I need a different light ;) My G2 and the FM35 red filter just destroys my night vision when I'm trying to read a star chart and stuff, so I'm trying to find a light that has a really low red mode for reading stuff while dark-adapted, and a higher mode if I need more light…I think you know where I'm going with this

I'm considering the possibility of getting an A2. :shakeheadYeah, yeah…:nana: Anyways
, I think it fits my needs well, I just need to test it out somewhere and see if I like it. The only thing that's putting me off is the Price. 150-200 bucks seems like a lot…but I might be convinced that I need it…the low mode is the lowest that I know of(that's red), and the incan is higher than the G2 I have, I like that…So I'm trying to see if the whole package is worth the 200 bucks, and how it's so much better than something with a low output, say a walmart special or something…(cuz my dad thinks that if I need low output, then why not get something from ACE and call it good, I need to convince him that 200 bucks on something with a low, a high, a warranty that's hard to beat, and a shell that's even tougher, is better than something from ACE)

Thanks much, I know you guys can help me,
Flash

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
An A2 is an excellent light. If you're on a budget due to classes/parents, etc, you can alwyas tout the benefits of teh A2's superior craftsmanship, efficiency w/batteries, SF's warranty, and it can be used for otehr activities, as well.

If that doesn't work, you can always go the two-light route. Stay with your G2, and order a Pentgonlight Molle light, or even a Streamlight clip mate light. The Pentagonlight now has the ability to change the beam into various colors through a screw-on filter kit, and it's not a hi-power light, so with a filter, it won't ruin your night adapted vision.

-dan

flash_bang

Enlightened
well the predicament I'm in, is the A2's low red beam is perfect for me, but I'm not sure if the main incan beam is bright enough. I'm looking forward to the KX5'd L5, but I don't know if surefire will release it :( I'd really like an A2 low and a 120 lumen(LED) high. That would be the perfect light for me, but I might have to get the low and high separately. What about the Luxeon L1 in red, would that be too bright for me(I'm doing astronomy stuff, so I need to look at charts, but I don't want the sky to be full of colored dots when I look up from my chart).

Thanks much,
Flash

Valolammas

Enlightened
Well, the A2 is a very nice light. I seem to recall Atomic Chicken mentioning that one of the things he uses his Aviatrix rings for is astronomy, so he could probably get you a perfect solution with sanded deep red LEDs. Might take a while, though.

If you get the L1, you'll probably be happy, though I understand all of the different Luxeon varieties use a TIR optic, so it's not the best kind of light for chart reading without a diffuser. Unless you find a red first generation L1.

For a cheap solution, how about a red Photon 3? In the lowest setting it's a pretty low level of light, but works fine in the dark with night adapted eyes. I use one for checking on the baby at night and it's perfect for that.

alanagnostic

Enlightened
The last time I looked LA Policegear had the older L1's for $135 with 50 free batteries. I don't own an L1 and I'm not sure if the one offered in Gen. 1 or not. I believe the stated lumens on their website were 1.1 for low and about 22 lumens for high. It seems like this might work for you.

bouncer

Enlightened
Flashbang someone is selling a red L1 in the marketplace it was still available last night get the red L1 if the high is not high enough carry your G2 and your new Red L1

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I considered the Peak Shasta too except I didn't want the N cell batteries. I went with the HP Kilmanjaro which is supposed to be the same candlepower and takes AA batteries. It is a nice little light and 37 candlepower is quite low. I especially like the brass....but that's just me. Does anyone know how the old L1 low compares to the Peak Shasta or Kilmanjaro?

StainlessSteel

Enlightened
Inova X5 red. Takes ONE 123a battery. Runs FOREVER on batteries that are "dead". No chance of accidential bursts of brighter light.

X5Front.jpg

Beam shot at 9 feet, circle is a clay pigeon.
X5Beam.jpg

allthumbs

Newly Enlightened
What you need to get is a genuine astronomy light. Available thru one of our members www.rigelsys.com and listed in the marketplace under group buys.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=106129
He uses true Mil- spec leds, and the reds are unbeliveable. All you other red leds will be orange compared to these. I`ve got one and all my other red leds are a disapointment compared to Skylight. It`s now the standard I use to judge the color on other reds. The A2 get it too:twothumbs and when the Atomic Chicken comes back get his drop in.

Illum

Flashaholic
But I'm not sure if the main incan beam is bright enough.

assuming your outdoors with no light pollution...3 LEDs should cover most of your lighting needs provided your eyes are used to the darkness
what do you plan to illuminate with the xenon?
the A2s output is greater than the G2 and whiter by comparison.

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
A2 with red LEDs (maybe an aviatrix'd A2) would be awesome. It's just too bad trying to get a rechargable A2... kind of a crap shoot getting RCR123's to fit in the tube :(