Opposite sides of the same coin or a tale of 2 KL1 heads added Outdoor Beamshots

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
I'd always liked the TW4 with the VitalGear FB1 ever since I'd seen them here on CPF. So a couple of months ago when a KL1 and FB1 came up for sale I thought close enough and bought it.

This I was going to then make into A KL1-RS. As many people know the real challenge to this is getting the head open and I failed miserably. When I did get the head open it looked like a pit bull with metal fangs had chewed it.:( But as luck would have it Bladezealot had purchased a KL1 head with a FB3 body in haste and then past it onto me for some $$.:twothumbs

This head was a lot easier to open and got away with just 4 little dings around the collar.
So now I had 2 heads one with a trashed circuit (which I later discovered was one of the older circuits) and one that was intact and the newer version.

This got me thinking the newer circuit I'd boost to around 700ma keep the optic and use on the FB3 and I'd fit a piglet board in an Ecan along with McR-20 to the other one.
Problem was how to get the heads cleaned up.

I'd seen the excellent work done by Ganp (Colin) and sent him an email to see if he could help me out with getting the heads and Vitalgears anodised. After a couple of emails and a chat with the anodisers, I found out that the heads could be done but not the bodies (I think this was due to me saying that the bodies had nickel plating) so sent the heads over to Colin so he could send it in as a batch along with his Deviant bits. I'd asked him also to clean up the mangled head if possible.

In the meantime I'd put up a request for anyone who wanted to trade the natural/OD VitalGears for black ones but no luck there so I got in contact with Supreme Co. and while they didn't have the FB3 in black they did have the FB1 and I'll have to say there customer service was excellent.:thumbsup:

While waiting for that to arrive I decided to boost the KL1 circuit by replacing the sense resistor, as I didn't have another .68ohm one to solder in parallel I decided to replace it with a .33ohm one I had. Now I know soldering smds can be fiddley but I'd built plenty of Minipro circuits not to be too bothered by this.

After replacing it I tested by holding a battery to the +ve and a lead running to the -ve ring (hadn't removed the circuit from its housing) Hmm it didn't light:thinking: so I removed the resistor and put back the orignal. same thing no light. To cut a long story short (I'd nearly desoldered/tested all the components) I discovered that the +ve contact on the can had dry jointed.:ohgeez:

In the meantime I'd gotten an email from Colin to say that he had tried to clean the head up but the walls were just too thin (bare in mind the gouges in it were deep almost to the point of going right through.)
Now at this point I'd have said no problem, not to worry etc. and just get the other head done but nope, Colin then asked if it would be alright to make another head and get this, free of charge :eek:oo::eek::bow::party::wow: I'd never expected this and after nearly breaking my keyboard to reply. I'm now the proud owner of this.

VitalGear FB1, custom colin head, McR-20 (modified for SSC), longbow UCL, SSC USXOH driven by a Piglet.
image4rt1.jpg

Also in the picture is big bro' VitalGear FB3, KL1 driven to 700mA~ SSC USWOH, stock optic (well sort of, after seeing some mods with glow paint and thinking that this was meant to be TIR optic I covered the back of the optic with foil.)
image2fa2.jpg

image3oj9.jpg

As usual beamshots will follow when time permits. Here they are.
Taken ~6ft from wall.

First up FB1 (reflectored head) on low.
pliy2.jpg

FB1 on high.
phfl3.jpg

FB3 (optic head)
bbcg4.jpg

FB3 close up it almost looks like a big eye glaring at you:D
72273561vr4.jpg

Got some quick outdoor shots. Bush is about 15 yards away.

Reference shot
orgzw7.jpg

FB1 on Low
fb1ldm5.jpg

FB1 on High
fb1hav1.jpg

FB3
fb3gm7.jpg

Last edited:

Ganp

Enlightened
Re: Opposite sides of the same coin or a tale of 2 KL1 heads

Great to see that those heads are finally modded and paired up with the VG bodies.:twothumbs

The VG FB1 is one of my favourite EDC lights.

Looking forward to the beamshots.:)

Colin.

700club

Newly Enlightened

Excellent job!

I think I need a FB1 body in my collection also. Thanks for the tips.

Cheers

luminata

Enlightened

is the rainbow effect in the reflector an optical illusion or did you do soomething funky to it? and is that a complete one off head ?

Darksky

Newly Enlightened

is the rainbow effect in the reflector an optical illusion or did you do soomething funky to it? and is that a complete one off head ?

The rainbow effect is probably my poor photo skills:eek: ( they were taken with the flash). Although if you mean the one of the FB3 it has the original optic in it but I covered the back half of the optic with silver foil. Having seen other mods that had glow paint done on them and thinking that it was mean't to be a total internal reflection optic I thought I might try and get as much light to stay reflected in the optic. Does it make a difference I have no idea:shrug: but the fact that it looks like a big eye glaring at you caused abit of :hahaha:

The head on the FB1 is not a complete custom it was only the front half that Colin made. It still uses the original collar and heatsink and to be honest if you hadn't seen a KL1 head you couldn't tell it was homemade.

Great to see that those heads are finally modded and paired up with the VG bodies.:twothumbs
The VG FB1 is one of my favourite EDC lights.
Looking forward to the beamshots.:)

Colin.
Colin it now is one of my favourite EDCs:thumbsup:

Eryk

Ganp

Enlightened

Good job on the beamshots. Nice smooth fade from hotspot to spill.:thumbsup:

The head on the FB1 is not a complete custom it was only the front half that Colin made. It still uses the original collar and heatsink and to be honest if you hadn't seen a KL1 head you couldn't tell it was homemade.

Unless you had another SF back-half/collar Eryk, the whole outer head was remade.;)

Colin.

Darksky

Newly Enlightened

Unless you had another SF back-half/collar Eryk, the whole outer head was remade.;)

Colin.

:eek:oo::duh2::eek::ohgeez::stupid: See told you you couldn't tell the difference!

Darksky

Newly Enlightened
Re: Opposite sides of the same coin or a tale of 2 KL1 heads added Beamshots

Outdoor beamshots added to #1