Mag-Lite: 4D to 12 or 16 lithium AAs (w/Malkoff or TLE-6EX drop-in)

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
I have a standard 4D mag-lite. Could anyone tell me if there is a "drop-in" 4D to 12 lithium AA or 4D to 16 lithium AA battery unit(s) where I could convert my mag-lite so that It would run with either Malkoff's drop-in module for 2-3-4 D cell and/or with Terralux's drop-in MiniStar5 TLE-6EX? Is there a "drop-in" battery unit adaptor that could make my 6D maglite run on 18 lithium or 24 lithium AAs ussing the TLE-6EX drop in module?

If any of these drop in modules exist, how would the run-times and lumens compare between the 4D alkalines and the 12 or 16 lithium AAs?

JamisonM

Enlightened
I can't confirm this (ask Gene), but I think the maximum voltage you want to run Gene's drop-in with is 6v. Again, ask Gene for a real answer. TerraLUX's TLE-6EX is made for 3-6 alkaline cells. I'm guessing 9v is the highest voltage they want you to use it with.

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
Don't some of the adaptors allow the desired operating voltage by connecting cells in series??

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't some of the adaptors allow the desired operating voltage by connecting cells in series??

CPF Member Fivemega has the kind of adapters you're looking for, but they're not cheap. As for using so many cells in series (hence high voltage) with either the Terralux or Malkoff dropin, I know it won't work on a 4D Mag. First of all, 4 cells are already the optimal amount of cells you can pump into either dropin. At 4 cells, the Malkoff dropin has 1100mA going to the emitter and that also is the maximum amount of cells you can use with it. The Terralux on 4 cells sends around 600mA (if I remember correctly) to the emitter and that's the max it does. The Terralux can accept up to 6 cells (as that's the largest Mag commonly available) and so it also won't work with AA-to-D adapters configuration in series as you'd fry the dropin as well.

If you're planning on using your 4D Mag with either dropin, you can only use it as is...which with the Malkoff would be one heck of a light.

BSBG

Enlightened
Don't some of the adapters allow the desired operating voltage by connecting cells in series??

Most of them are series, making the voltage too high. You want a series / parallel arrangement, which is probably a DIY proposition.

Rommul

Enlightened
Here is a battery adapter that could help you

http://aventrade.stores.yahoo.net/baad.html

******Warning******

I have never used these adapters so I can' vouch for them.

Furthermore if you use these adapters you may need to bore out you mag because 4 AA's across might be too large to fit.

******End Warning******

These holders allow you to run these cells in parallel meaning that the resultant voltage will be the same as the voltage of single cell (assuming all cells enjoy the same state of charge). If you use four off these holders on series it would yield the same voltage as having 4 single cells in series.

Now, Lithium AA cells come in at voltages slightly higher than alkaline AA's roughly 1.6 or 1.7 (some say 1.8) bolts. If you put four of these cells in series you are looking at anywhere from 6.4-7.2 volts. The terralux might survive that but I don't know if Gene dropin will. Consult him for details on that.

I have to ask why it is that you want to use so many lithium cells in with this dropin?

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
One reason would be that the Energizer lithium AA's are so light it would feel like the mag-lite was empty inside. It makes a 4D or 6D "bearable" weight wise. The 12,000mah nimh D cells weigh a ton, i know because i have a 4D light with 4 of them inside, a 6d would be worse.
Another reason would be that the lithiums have a 15-20 year life span when stored.
A third reason is the lithiums don't leak like alkalines.

I work the mostly at night so use my lights a lot & recharge them often. But if you worked day shift & had to carry a full size light, then battery adapters with lithium AA's would be the way to go for lightweight belt carry aspect & infrequent useage aspect.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
you wouldnt be gaining any runtime i think with 4aa ..a standard alk D cell is 20,000-22,000 mah so 4aa alks in parrallell would be 4x2800mah=11,200mah and aa lithiums are usually double of alks so 4x5600mah=22,400mah

and you need to bore out the body cuz only 3aa will fit stock , better off running D cells ,

the malkoff has max of 6.3volts as i was told so even 4aa lithium is not safe cuz it would be 4x1.7=6.8v and the 6ex can work at least 7 cells ,if i remember someone tested it to over 10volts safely but go beyond 6 cells and no warranty ...i myself put my 6ex in 7d with no problems what so ever

Rommul

Enlightened
you wouldnt be gaining any runtime i think with 4aa ..a standard alk D cell is 20,000-22,000 mah so 4aa alks in parrallell would be 4x2800mah=11,200mah and aa lithiums are usually double of alks so 4x5600mah=22,400mah

Actually AA lithiums are about 3000mah. Thats an excellent point though.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually AA lithiums are about 3000mah. Thats an excellent point though.

yup yup, i know they are not ACTUALLY 5600mah but whenever i see runtime charts they are always double that of alks so i just used the alks number x2 as a point :thumbsup:

JamisonM

Enlightened

and you need to bore out the body cuz only 3aa will fit stock , better off running D cells ,

the malkoff has max of 6.3volts as i was told so even 4aa lithium is not safe cuz it would be 4x1.7=6.8v and the 6ex can work at least 7 cells ,if i remember someone tested it to over 10volts safely but go beyond 6 cells and no warranty ...i myself put my 6ex in 7d with no problems what so ever
I can't believe I forgot about running batteries in parallel.:ohgeez:

I agree with your numbers. If a 4D maglite was bored out to accept 4AA to D adapters that will run the batteries (lithium) in them in parallel; it would be pretty much the same as 4 regular D cells run in series. You'd have the runtime of 4 D alkalines and the advantages of lithium batteries. It'd be expensive though. You'd have to pay to have your maglite's battery tube bored out, for the battery adapters and then for the batteries. Lithium batteries aren't cheap.

Maybe instead of using AA lithiums; how about using LSD AA NiMH? That would keep you within the limits of Gene's drop-in and the TLE-6EX and you could/would use another 4AA to D adapter. That would give you great runtime, but it would be a pain to recharge all those batteries. They would eventually pay for themselves, though, and being LSD cells; they'd still be ready to go several months later.

Another idea would be to use dummy batteries and extras of the LSD AA NiMH already charged and in the adapter ready for use. Gene's drop-in will run for 3 hours at peak brightness on 2 D alkalines and that's not bad. Even after that time has passed, it will be bright, but as the batteries get weaker, I'm sure there be a visual cue telling you that the batteries are getting low. Having pre-charged cells already installed in the adapters will make it easier to deal with. It also means you'll have to deal with less of them at a time; from 12 and up to just 8. This will also cut the weight back on a 4D maglite.

Still, all of this wouldn't be as easy as dealing with 4 cheap D alkalines. While I won't argue that they don't leak (they do, can, will if you let them, and even sometimes when you don't), but it's not like they are spilling their guts like the plague.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
better snatch up the malkoff at $65 on his site...run it on 4 D and never look back :)