What to buy? Want small EDC thrower w/1 AA or a 123.

AZC

Newly Enlightened
First time posting; spent many an hour reading everyone's expertise and opinions. I would prefer a hi/low, but not necessary. Strobe would be sweet for defense situations. Price is relative. Pocketable and/or able to be put into a kydex holster. Tactical "reverse" clicky a must.

Your thoughts? I own an Inova T4 and XO2, Coast AAA Led Lenser, and a Scorpion incan. Scorp is nice but it uses (2) 123's, get's hot, and is a battery burner, to say the least. The Coast isn't bad, but the (3) AAA battery holder is a little awkward.

Is there such a thing as a thrower in this tiny package with a low or ultra low for simple house and camping navigation?

Thanks all!

LightScene

Enlightened
For edc I recommend a CR123 because they are smaller and lighter than AA. The Fenix P1-CE would be nice. see fenix-store.com and use coupon CPF8 to get an 8% discount.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
For edc I recommend a CR123 because they are smaller and lighter than AA. The Fenix P1-CE would be nice. see fenix-store.com and use coupon CPF8 to get an 8% discount.
But lights using 123s are larger in diameter and hence less conducive to pocket carry.

LightScene

Enlightened
But lights using 123s are larger in diameter and hence less conducive to pocket carry.
The Fenix L1D-CE (AA) is 3.8 in (L) x 0.8 in (D). The P1-CE (CR123) is 2.6 in (L) x 0.8 in (D). Same thickness, but the P1-CE is much shorter.

LightScene

Enlightened
CR123 lights are better throwers than AA lights.

Other small CR123 lights that are fine for edc:

Hyperion ; has 3 brightness levels + strobe + SOS. This light supports all levels with RCR123. It is a little finicky to change levels.

Lumapower LM303: has a clicky.

Lightflux LF3: programmable levels.

You can find reviews of these lights in the Reviews forum.

Last edited:

LightScene

Enlightened
That's true with those two Fenix lights, but I'm talking about in general.
My experience is that AA lights are usually as thick as small CR123 lights, or very close, in general.
Also, CR123 lights are better throwers, which the OP prefers.
One other advantage CR123 lights have over AA lights for EDC is they are lighter, and this does make a difference when you are deciding what to put in your pockets to carry around all day. Even a small advantage in size and weight are important to the overall feeling satisfaction with an EDC light.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true with those two Fenix lights, but I'm talking about in general.

"In general", is more imho I would think. Some do prefer more width then length and vis versa. I prefer a 123, other's AA. I Do know when it comes to
capacity there is no equal to a 123 compared to a AA, primary or Li ion.

As far as lights, I myself have been looking at a smooth reflector D-mini, it seems to be a good 1 cell throw king outta the package.(I want it for a "check the yard" light) But it does so because of a slightly larger,deeper 'flector, therefore a bit bigger light package,(though fine in a holster) and it has a reverse two stage cap I believe. VDG

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF!

First a few questions:
Price range?
Quality?
Number of batteries?
LED or Incandescent?
Rechargeable option?
Tiny as in as small as you can get it or small as in it will fit the hand comfortably, because a throwing light usually has a big head and reflector and is usually not very small.

A reverse clickie is not tactical, since it only turns on when you let go of the switch. Are you saying you like the switch in the back?

GBone

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess the term "thrower" is going to mean different things to different folks...

For me its 123's

1) Novatak 120T - one amazing light, I carry it everyday
2) Surefire L1 - just picked it up, not sure of where it will fall in the rotation, but awesome none the less.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:

martonic

Enlightened
Hi AZC and welcome to CPF - you clearly belong here!

I think what you want is a "forward clicky" - it comes on momentarily when you push the tailcap button halfway, and stays on if you push it in all the way 'til it clicks.

Most small EDC lights are either twistys, or have the "reverse" clicky that does not even come on until you push the button all the way in and then release it.

However, the new Novatac 120T seems to be exactly what you're looking for.

Good luck - let us know how it turns out.

7Freeman

Newly Enlightened
Fenix L1D CE with AW protected 14500
[a copper ring between the clicky and the body and the soft black ring over the position, where the body and the clicky have a lil "hole"]
Why no Fenix P2D CE/R100 or Fenix P1D CE???
->10 minutes MORE runtime
->a lil bit brighter
->better feeling in a great hand
->you also can use a sanyo 2700, if you need different modes

But if you want to hide the light in the bags of your trousers, you have to choose a P2D CE or P1D CE.

And even if you don`tgo with Fenix, you aren`t doing a CRIME :grin2:

AZC

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the nice welcome; I will look at all recommendations. I stand corrected, no reverse clicky, "tactical" clicky, and yes, 1 battery, tailcap switch, no price range, top quality, LED a must, no rechargeable. I agree 123 is prob a better option; not too much thicker than AA, plus lighter, shorter and more power!

I know where to find Fenix. Where do I go for the rest?

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower D-Mini is the obvious choice for a small thrower. Switches in package include a 2 stage reverse clicky. 1 stage forward clicky will be availble in 1-2 weeks.

You may also want to investigate a LumaPower M3 with a turbohead. Switches in package include a 2 stage reverse clicky allow for 3 levels of output, it can run on 1 or 2 AA's or 1 CR123A as well as a large variety of rechargeables, can be reconfigured to be a EDC pocket light or an outdoor thrower.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find a light with a forward tactical clicky AND multiple output levels besides a SF L1/L2 and the L1/L2 aren't really throwers.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
LumaPower D-Mini is the obvious choice for a small thrower. Switches in package include a 2 stage reverse clicky. 1 stage forward clicky will be availble in 1-2 weeks.

Matt, will any of the D-mini's you have in route come with the smooth reflector & one stage tail cap? I really just want one level of smooth 'flector throw, without having to buy "AIO" kit just for a smooth reflector.

If not, does anyone else sell the smooth/one stage unit? VDG

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
We only stock the AIO kits now. Because of our relationship with LumaPower I was able to negotiate a special price for those kits and you will find that our price with the AIO kit, after the CPF discount, is basically the same as everyone elses price for the light + 1 reflector/switch

AZC

Newly Enlightened
Sooooooooo, I've been given the: numerous Fenix, Hyperion, Luma LM303, Lightflux LF3, D-Mini, Novatek 120T, and Surefire L1 to look at. Please help me a) eliminate those with no tactical "forward" clicky b) where do I find the rest, and c) elimate those which you feel are tremendously overpriced. (The Surefire's look waaaaaaay overpriced, but what do I know, as I may also have a source to get them at cost from an indoor shooting range I helped build and worked at for a few years. The D-Mini looks awesome, but I'd like to see a size comparison. I understand it's a one, 123 cell, but with the oversized head, it looks too big to pocket when it is pictured alone. Other Lumapower's look much more pocketable. I also understand the D-Mini won't have a forward clicky available for awhile.

robo21

Enlightened
I have an Amilite T5 which has a superb beam - a good combination of white color, spill and hotspot. This is a very nice light, good performance and great build quality. This light has a tail clicky and is reasonably priced for its performance.