• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SOLD: CR123 Knurly Nellie, custom made prototype

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
As some of you know, I'm a great fan of Katokichi's flashlights. His workmanship is always superb and his designs elegant in their simplicity.

As the proud owner of a precision lathe, I've been honing my skills while trying to produce something similar to Kato's work, and I am now offering a prototype CR123 Flashlight that I designed based on Kato's work.

The Knurly Nellie details:

Powered by one primary CR123 Lithium battery which provides power to a NexGen 750 mA which drives a Seoul P4 bin USW0H. The NG750 is encapsulated in a custom-built brass module and has a foam gasket attached to the PCB to stop the battery from rattling when the light is off. The body of the light is 6061 aluminum that has been electroless nickel plated. The mineral glass lens is 1mm thick. The reflector is a Khatod17mm reflector that was trimmed to fit. The beam is fairly concentrated, but with the typical nice side spill common to P4s. O-ring sealed.

Note that there is no lanyard hole in the rear of the light--I designed this for pocket carry--it really is that small, plus I didn't want to clutter the design. For those who care, the knurling was cut into the body, not pressed. The knurls are actually little pyramids, yet not sharp, as I polished the body before plating.

The head is very firmly connected to the converter module, with tight fitting threads and a snug O-ring. This is done on purpose so that one can turn the light one with one head just by twisting the small head with one's fingertips.

Pic originally posted before completion:

KnurlyNellie_withFriend.jpg

Finished version:

SlantedFull3.jpg

Comparison shot for size reference:

CompShot.jpg

Note: There are some obvious defects in the knurling on the battery tube--this is where I had rechucked the piece and managed to flatten some of the knurls. While purely cosmetic defects, they obviously do not affect the operation of the light in any way. :D Other than to lower the price. :(

Price: $225.00, includes shipping to the CONUS.

Insurance and overseas shipping would be extra, PM with your needs.

PayPal cash only to: paycashpal (at) photonfanatic.com

First "I'll take it," gets it.

Thanks for looking.

[edit] As an aside, we had a blackout in town last night and with nothing else to do (no one else was at home), I wandered out to take a look-see at the stars. The Milky Way was spectacular since there was no light pollution! I grabbed a couple of flashlights on the way out--a KIT-B and this Knurly Nellie. At first I used just the KIT and was impressed with the depth of penetration of the beam, along with some decent light spill. But later I tried the Knurly Nellie and, wow, the beam was brighter and the side spill greater, too. Very nice usable beam as it turns out.

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: CR123 Knurly Nellie, custom made prototype

Beutiful light :thumbsup:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh SWEEEEEET Nellie. :naughty: Kenster Likie. :kiss: :grin2: Seriously, Fred the light looks fantastic! :thumbsup: I am on a non flashlight diet right now trying to buy food instead for a change :popcorn: (Yum Popcorn air puffs! :duh2:) but if no one is smart enough to snag this light and it is still around on Monday??? After I go the bank like I was supposed to do before the weekend so I could eat? :ohgeez: I suppose I will have no choice but to post those 3 magic words! :D

Ken :wave:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh SWEEEEEET Nellie. :naughty: Kenster Likie. :kiss: :grin2: Seriously, Fred the light looks fantastic! :thumbsup: I am on a non flashlight diet right now trying to buy food instead for a change :popcorn: (Yum Popcorn air puffs! :duh2:) but if no one is smart enough to snag this light and it is still around on Monday??? After I go the bank like I was supposed to do before the weekend so I could eat? :ohgeez: I suppose I will have no choice but to post those 3 magic words! :D

Ken :wave:

But, Ken, I thought this had your name all over it, not the Knurly Nellie:

CPTI-123slant1.jpg

After all, it is Titanium. :D

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh Fred, :( I tell you I am testing my will power with a flashlight-free diet and you go waving delicious Titanium in front of me! :drool: I`m sooooooooo..... weak! :faint: The only thing that is saving me right now......... I have plenty of checks written to me to deposit but that means no available funds until Monday or maybe even Tuesday if I find no funds in my other acounts. I never keep up with any of my banking. :oops: Well, time for some Top Romen Noodles.....YET AGAIN!!! :p SHEESH, I suppose I could just sell one or two of my lights???? Oooops, now I feel weak again! :faint:

Ken:D

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ken,

But the good news is that the Knurly Ti isn't for sale yet--still needs the innards, some of which are on order. So keep slurping that soup. :laughing:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

This is a sweet light! I'm a BIT past my monthly budget (Ok, I blew through my yearly budget by February)... :broke:

Someone take this!

Awesome work Fred... what a light! And a Knurly Ti in the workings?? :shakehead :naughty: :twothumbs

john

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Awesome work there Fred, Knurly Nellie is looking Gnarly!!

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, Ken. Hopefully, I can send it off today.

As a special bonus, you get a $100 credit toward any Ti lights that I might have for sale in the future. :devil:

I sure like this Knurly Nellie. If kenster bails (hugely unlikely) please let me know - I'd take it in a heartbeat! Ken, this one looks like a winner!
:thumbsup:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast

Kenster - Great catch, this is a really great light.

PF - you did it again :twothumbs.