Military Angle Head Mod?

TCBA_Joe

Newly Enlightened
Hi, those of you who have ever had to use the Military's angle head flashlight know it sucks. Are there any mods available to make it more powerful? I'm a cadet who has to use one for Landnav and such and I'd like to actually have some power to it. Thanks for the help.

TCBA_Joe

Newly Enlightened
Looks good but I don't really have $60. Is there anywhere I could find instruction to go radioshack on one of these things?

JamisonM

Enlightened
Looks good but I don't really have $60. Is there anywhere I could find instruction to go radioshack on one of these things?
I think a replacement bulb will be the most performance improving and cost effective solution. For a brighter light, I'm betting that one of mag instruments 2D maglite drop-ins will work, though you'll have the same problems with them in it as others have had with them in their maglites. They have poor heat management so output will start high, but as heat collects output will drop. After a while, output will level off as temperatures stabilize.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Er, what is aluminium "flashing"?

I'm interested - I would like to build a RoP in a tinplate flashlight, but the bulbholder is the single weakpoint...

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Er, what is aluminium "flashing"?

I'm interested - I would like to build a RoP in a tinplate flashlight, but the bulbholder is the single weakpoint...

Aluminum flashing is sold in rolls at Home Depot (and others) and is used in roofing. I wouldn't go out and buy a roll just for this. Since I did these mods I have felt that packing aluminum foil around the bulb might actually work better since there would be more aluminum mass around the bulb.