EDC 1 xAA/2 xAA Cree/ Seoul sugesstions

screamingmoonrock

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I've just joined.

I would greatly appreciate any advice/recommendations on the following:

I want an EDC 1xAA or 2xAA Cree or Seoul Emitter Flashlight for around $25.00 - $40.00. It needs to be reliable, tough with an AR coated lens and very bright for the battery size. Also, a tail clicky would be great along with different lume levels if possible. Furthermore, if a an extended tube were available to take the 1xAA to 2xAA, would be cool.

I'm interested in the REXLIGHT REX2.1, OLIGHT T15, UltraFire UF-C3, but open to more suggestions meeting my criteria. So please people give me your suggestions for the brightest 1xAA to 2xAA for around $40.00 .

Regards Frank.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The brightest 1AA to 2AA ate around your price would be the Fenix L2D-Rebel 100 around $58 with the "CPF8" coupon at Fenix store. You can purchase a L1D-CE(1AA) body tube for the light a the same place. But the L2D-Rebel 100 is above your price range. The cheaper(and a bit dimmer) CE versions are still above your price range even with the coupon.

What about the Candle-Power light at DX, it come with a extension tube and is about $40.

The Jetbeam CL-E v2.0 is $32 and has modes but only runs on 1 AA battery.

Also see this comparison.

Be aware that most lights around your price range don't have AR coating. But the Cree/Seoul lights should still be bright(compared to a common 2 cell incan light) for the battery used.

Welcome to CPF!

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you cant afford fenix then i would give this a shot

get a minimag and you could buy a mineral lens or ucl from lighthound

minimag from walmart or wherever could be had for less than $10

oh yeah and clicky

Last edited:

bessiebenny

Enlightened
I never owned a Fenix yet but they seem the best for who's willing to pay some more bucks.

BTW, the new Rexlight 2.1 is currently on sale for $40 shipped. (normally $50)

or if going cheaper:

- MTE 5 mode Rebel 100 - $17.90 shipped (Probly the brightest you can get for under $20 - brighter than MTE 1xAA SSC-P4 42180-U)
- UltraFire Cree C3 Flashlight with 2xAA Extension Tube is great also. Higher quality than MTE but not as bright as the Rebel 100.

oops.. didn't read your whole post.. You already knew about most of these.. =P

If you don't mind spending extra $10 for CR123A batteries and charger, consider this. (It's on my next to-buy list...)

Super-Bright Cree Q4 5-Mode LED Flashlight

Seems to be one of the first EDCs to use a Cree Q4 led. No reviews yet coz it just came out but I expect it to be quite bright. =)

Last edited:

screamingmoonrock

Newly Enlightened
Guys thanks for all your suggestions.

I am leaning towards the Jetbeam CL-E v2.0, [thank you Gunner12 for pointing me in this direction], however I've heard and read about very poor customer service and build quality by JB. I'll hold off pulling the trigger on this, wait for a few reviews. If I was to order from JB themselves, how long would it take for the CL-E v2.0 to arrive in the UK?

What do you guys think in regards to the JetBeam CL-E v2.0, is this a good choice? Owners of previous generations CL-E would you recommend or buy another?

The other flashlight I'm considering is the DX-X1. Would this be the better choice, can $15 over the JB CL-E v2.0 make a difference if any?

Anyone have opinions on the OLIGHT T15? Although, I'm tempted by the Fenix L2T v2.0 RB80

I need something very reliable and durable for my work [Door Security] and that can be carried around in my jacket pocket every day.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Regards Frank

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think the DX X.I. has too many modes and could be confusing, I would wait for a newer version IF they make a new one.

The Jetbeam CL-E V1.0 has had many problems when they first came out but they seemed to be mostly fixed now, I don't know about the V2.0 and the customer service.

The Fenix L1/2T V.2 also seems to be a good light. The Olight T15 hasn't come out yet so no reviews yet.

Have you considered a 18650 3.7v Lithium Ion powered light? About the same length as a 2AA light but thicker and usually with more light(I have one that is a bit shorter then the Minimag but twice as thick). More expensive to start with but you do get a rechargeable batteries and more light and maybe more runtime.

There are also many Dealextreme lights in your price range that might work as a back up, their cheaper light's build quality is not something I would recommend as a primary light.

Out of those lights, I'm thinking the Jetbeam CL-E V2.0 if it comes out well, or the Fenix L1/2T V2.0 or the L1/2D-CE/Rebel 100 lights.

zed

Newly Enlightened
If you don't mind spending extra $10 for CR123A batteries and charger, consider this. (It's on my next to-buy list...)

Super-Bright Cree Q4 5-Mode LED Flashlight

Seems to be one of the first EDCs to use a Cree Q4 led. No reviews yet coz it just came out but I expect it to be quite bright. =)

Will this work with the slightly longer protected 3.6 V RCR123 batteries?

screamingmoonrock

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Guys for your advice.

bessiebenny, thanks for telling me about the Rexlight 2.1.

The reason I prefer AA batteries is due to availability here in the UK. AA batteries tend to be the cheapest and are available in abundance [the local store on the corner of my street only sells AA batteries]. Yes, CR123A are available but at a cost, and I know this reflects on the output, but it my case, it all comes down to cost in the end.

Also, I understand that the JetBeam CL-E V1.0 and the CL-E V2.0 share the same internals, is it a sufficent "throw monster" for a 1xAA compared to the DX X1 or other? I know the saying "you get what you pay for", but I want something that is at least sufficently reliable and dependable that would make my current EDC light, a Peli Mitylite 1900 as a backup.

Out of the 2 manufacturers, JetBeam and Rexlight, who would you say has The better Quality Control?

Gunner12, checked out Dealextreme and came across this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6131. What do you guys think?

So many questions, but I would appreciate your input in my quest.

Regards Frank

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got two JetBeam CL-E V1.0 from one of the first two group buys and they are fantastic. The build quality on mine are very good. Some people had quality control issues, but mine are great [after cleaning the threads], especially considering the price.
The newer versions use a faster PWM frequency, and this would rectify the only nit-pick I have with v1.0. It is short in length for a one AA light, but I don't know how much longer the newer version with the clicky switch is.

I use NiMH in mine and it works fine. The beam is great and the tint very good. The UI is good, though I would leave out the strobe and SOS if I had a choice.

The CPF poster JetBeam claims quality control has increased and they are claiming faster and better customer service. He has a post in one of the CPF Marketplace forums [possibly Dealers Corner].

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Fenix L1D or L2D better simply because of the output level at the battery run time. Selfbuilt has some battery run times of several AA lights that I would look at before you pull the trigger. It was what swayed me from Rexlight to the Fenix L2D or L1D.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I got two JetBeam CL-E V1.0 from one of the first two group buys and they are fantastic. The build quality on mine are very good. Some people had quality control issues, but mine are great [after cleaning the threads], especially considering the price.
The newer versions use a faster PWM frequency, and this would rectify the only nit-pick I have with v1.0. It is short in length for a one AA light, but I don't know how much longer the newer version with the clicky switch is.

I use NiMH in mine and it works fine. The beam is great and the tint very good. The UI is good, though I would leave out the strobe and SOS if I had a choice.

The CPF poster JetBeam claims quality control has increased and they are claiming faster and better customer service. He has a post in one of the CPF Marketplace forums [possibly Dealers Corner].
I don;t know how the C-8 works so if you turn it off, it might start on the next mode or reset it self when you turn it on. I also think crenelated bezels are useless and cut down on the spill but that's just my opinion.

Jetbeam says they have picked up their customer service and quality check. I think you should be fine with the CL-E V2.0 if you clean out and lubricate the threads when you get it.

The best throwing AA light would probably be the Lumapower M3(review) with the turbo head or the Maxlite(A bit costly for a AA light, but it has great quality). But those will be a bit big for EDC.

Quality wise, I think the two companies, Jetbeam and Rexlight, should be about the same.

andyr354

Newly Enlightened
I read quite a few reviews here a couple of weeks ago and decided to give this a try:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4238

It should be in my mailbox sometime this week I hope.

I already have a Fenix P2D, but wanted something that ran on AA bats and less expensive to carry in a glovebox or toolbox.

Andy

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Also, I understand that the JetBeam CL-E V1.0 and the CL-E V2.0 share the same internals, is it a sufficent "throw monster" for a 1xAA compared to the DX X1 or other? I know the saying "you get what you pay for", but I want something that is at least sufficently reliable and dependable that would make my current EDC light, a Peli Mitylite 1900 as a backup. Out of the 2 manufacturers, JetBeam and Rexlight, who would you say has The better Quality Control?
As a few have mentioned here, you can compare the output of the Jetbeam and Rexlights on my review thread here: LF5, Rex 2.1, LM301, DX X.1, C-LE, Fenix L1DCE-Q2, DX/Kai 5-Stage Review: RUNTIMES

It's hard to directly compare the lights - the build quality is higher on the Rexlight over the C-LE, but the MkIIX is step up from the Rexlight (as you would expect based on price). IMO, the 3 lights are all excellent choices at their respective price points. But I wouldn't consider any of them all that throwy. Early testing of the new Fenix Rebel line suggests these throw better than the older cree version. Output and runtime is also up on the R100 premium bin. I'll be updating my review thread soon.

Unfortunately, my L1T v2.0 seems to have gotten lost in the mail, but this might be a good choice for you too.

FYI, Jetbeam is planning on releasing a new clicky C-LE and an update to the MkII line with a Rebel - check out Jetbeam's thread in the Manufacturer's corner in the Marketplace.

Also, there's a new build of the Rex 2.1 (v.001) that has some improvements. Kai has a thread about it in the Dealer's forume on the Marketplace.

Cheers!

screamingmoonrock

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for welcoming me.

I pulled the trigger on this http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6131.

I've had it for about a week, arrived here in the UK from HK within 7 days.

Build quality is very good and so is the performace for what it cost. It really does put my collegues flashlights to shame. My work collegues are surprised and a bit envious, especially of the strobe function along with the throw the C8 gives out. As a every day work tool I highly recommended it, I would definatly buy another, for the price you can't go wrong and I can recommend deal extreme as having an excellent service, HK to UK within 7 days is fantastic.

I may be getting the bug for flashlights. I'm also looking at the Nuwai Rebel equipped TM-290XM8 if the price is right, and also still eyeing up the JetBeam CL-E v2.

What are your opinions on the Nuwai TM-290XM8?

Regards Frank

jdong

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the Lumapower LM31's? I like it pretty well as an EDC 1xAA