New Duracell Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries

Phaetos

Enlightened
Sounds like it would be worth it to buy a pack just to get the charger(s) ..

The Duracell Power Gauge Charger features a LED indicator that displays the
charge status for each battery, enabling consumers to easily tell when each
charge will be complete. It also has a USB port for quick, convenient
charging of compatible, USB(1)-enabled devices. The Duracell Mini Charger
offers strong power performance and great value in a small, sleek design
that plugs directly into the wall, making it easy to take anywhere. The
Duracell 15-minute Charger, which charges both AA and AAA NiMH batteries,
provides maximum power performance in a minimal amount of time.

redfish

Newly Enlightened
Fantastic! Once Duracell start selling these, I hope I would be able to pick them up at almost any drug store. Goodbye regular NiMH!

NiOOH

Enlightened
I wonder if these LSD cells are relabelled Eneloops. Some of the other Duracells are, some aren't. Their 1700 mAh cells are Sanyos and are great. I've been using a set for a year and they still test like new.

Bones

Enlightened
I wonder if these LSD cells are relabelled Eneloops. Some of the other Duracells are, some aren't. Their 1700 mAh cells are Sanyos and are great. I've been using a set for a year and they still test like new.

Seems difficult to say at the moment.

I just did some fairly serious digging on the internet, and couldn't come up with any details beyond those in the press release.

The Duracell site is also surprisingly devoid of any information.

Hopefully, they will be hitting the shelves fairly soon and we can pick up some additional facts from the packaging.

h2xblive

Enlightened
Best Buy has some new Duracell low discharge batteries. I think they were 2000mah and cost about $17-$18 for a pack of four.

sotyakr

Enlightened
I'm a little surprised that Costco didn't go with these instead of the eneloops since they currently have a relationship with Duracell (as I recall, the Kirkland AA's are OEM'd Duracells, too).

Bones

Enlightened
Best Buy has some new Duracell low discharge batteries. I think they were 2000mah and cost about $17-$18 for a pack of four.

Thanks h2xblive.

If you happen past them again, it would be good to know some other things about these new Duracells:

Charge remaining after 6 months?
Charge remaining after 1 year?
Number of recharge cycles?
Minimum capacity (Eneloops claim 1900mAh)?

Also, have they settled on a distinctive name, or are they just labelled as precharged?

Bones

Enlightened
I'm a little surprised that Costco didn't go with these instead of the eneloops since they currently have a relationship with Duracell (as I recall, the Kirkland AA's are OEM'd Duracells, too).

It might be because Duracell was so much later to the market with their offering.

I wonder though, if Costco used their existing relationship with Duracell to negotiate exclusive distribution of the Eneloop power pack at what seems like a very advantagous price?

h2xblive

Enlightened
Eneloops are $9.95/4 pack at Thomas Distributing.

And Circuit City has an 8 pack of Eneloop AAs for about $28.00

Hence, I did not even remotely consider those Duracell low discharge batteries.

EDIT: The Duracell website shows the batteries I saw, although more information doesn't seem to be available yet. The batteries seem to have been "pre-charged" and not explicitly "low discharge." For the price Duracell was asking for, I assumed those batteries had both features.

Last edited:

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
And Circuit City has an 8 pack of Eneloop AAs for about $28.00

Hence, I did not even remotely consider those Duracell low discharge batteries.

EDIT: The Duracell website shows the batteries I saw, although more information doesn't seem to be available yet. The batteries seem to have been "pre-charged" and not explicitly "low discharge." For the price Duracell was asking for, I assumed those batteries had both features.

Pre-Charged_Rechargeables
Duracell® Pre-Charged Rechargeables stay charged far longer than ordinary rechargeables, so you recharge less often.

I guess they are also low self-discharge... By the way, I really like the mix of their alkaline and standard rechargeable shrink wrap graphic design with those. ;)

macdude22

Newly Enlightened
Unless these are cheaper than the Rayovac Hybrids I doubt they'll win me over anytime soon. I got burned on a couple packs of those 2650s that developed the super fast self discharge. I think Rayovac has hit a sweet price/performance point with the Hybrids and having them stocked at walmart means they are easily available to me.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the Duracell Power Gauge charger (comes with a 4 pack) of Duracell rechargeable 1700 mAH batteries. These battteries are the made in China with the "HR" stamp. From what I hear on this board - these are really good ones. I await my BC-900 from Amondotech.:p

Elliot