Victorinox 5.8W LED

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anybody any experience with this light? Browsing a favorite seller on ebay I noticed they have one for sale. It runs on C cells, has a 5.8w led from Emmissive Energy Corp(?) and claims a meager 80 lumens. I would think any LED running that many watts would be putting out a lot more since my CCC (ultrafire) cree is supposed to put out 80 lumens, and my 3w magled puts out a ton of light...

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Victorinox lights are built by Inova. Therefore their construction is quite sound. Unfortunately Inova chose absolutely terrible emitters for their 2007 product line. In this case the 5.8W LED is a Luxeon K2.
:barf:
Now I don't own one (due to the use of the K2) so I havne't been able to test the current draw at the battery or at the emiter. I would suspect that it is not actually pulling 5.8 watts. Inova has been listing the max rated current of the emitter, not what it is actually running.
I'd guess around 80 lumens is what the emitter is putting out, not what you'll be getting out the front. Inova has been quotingemitter lumens for the past few years and I doubt they're going to change for now. I've played with one in the store and I was not impressed with the output.
The construction and beam pattern are quite good though. I've seen them for sale at Brightguy if you'd rather buy from a reputable dealer.

Hope this helps and doesn't turn you off to the light. It is a great light that simply can't compete very well in output. There are things beyond output. This is a rare C cell form factor light that would likely make a great host for a Seoul mod if you can get to the emitter.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the info. I've become aware of the Fenix L1T and L2T, and am considering picking one of those up; but we'll see, I still have to pick between the compactness of the L1T and the increased output and runtime of the L2T.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Unfortunately Inova chose absolutely terrible emitters for their 2007 product line. ....

That's an exaggeration. While you may have preferred a Cree or Seoul P4, Inova's K2 LED pereforms pretty well in their 2007 T1 and T2 flashlights.

I am delighted with the 2007 Inova T1 and T2. Though they have considerably shorter battery life than my Surefire Cree E2L, the Inovas throw farther and produce considerably greater spill.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an exaggeration. While you may have preferred a Cree or Seoul P4, Inova's K2 LED pereforms pretty well in their 2007 T1 and T2 flashlights.

I am delighted with the 2007 Inova T1 and T2. Though they have considerably shorter battery life than my Surefire Cree E2L, the Inovas throw farther and produce considerably greater spill.

Opinion not exaggeration.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these lights and I really like it. It is bright, has a great beam, and is a good size. It is made by Inova and like all of their branded lights, it is made very well. What I like about it is its size and it uses C batteries instead of the CR123's. My only real complaint would be that you twist the head to turn it on. No big deal, but I would have preferred a switch.

robbydob

Newly Enlightened
It seems hard to overlook the fact that the 'look' of any particular light plays a role in its purchase. If you happen to like the Victorinox logo (not the knock offs) which I do, this light is a beauty. Functionality probably limits it to general household utility but hey, that's o.k.....and I agree, the head twisting on-off mechanism is its least desireable feature.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
.....and I agree, the head twisting on-off mechanism is its least desireable feature.

And on the two Vic lights I bought, both 2AA versions, the mechanism was unreliable. Not enough lube from the factory, and the metal threads too sharp (cutting slivers off of the O-ring).

The first one got stuck when I tried to take the head off. (The batteries were dead, and you can only change them by taking off the head). Couldn't get it unstuck, tossed it in the garbage! Bought another one, just to make sure the first wasn't a rare lemon. Same problem! But I did manage to carefully unscrew the head, lubed it up since the threads were bone-dry! And now it works, but I have zero confidence in the light. :thumbsdow

Part of me still can't believe that the Parent company of Inova is the same one making the Vic line of lights.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the AA and AAA versions and fortunately did not have the same problems. Mine are fine. Keep in mind that just because the parent company may be Inova, they may be made with specifications given to them from Victorinox to sell for a certain price point. They are not designed like the Inovas and are not quite as robust or bright. I am still very happy with mine!

Mike

Newuser01

Enlightened
Just in case any one is interested in purchasing this light, Amazo-n has this light on today friday sales for $24.99. With free supersaver shipping over $25. So you will need to find a filler to get it above 25 bucks.

Brightguy list this at $50 + shipping. So it is a good deal. Though it may not be what is in for you (ie, SS, Rebel, Cree!! :whistle:)

Enjoy!

Noob

Edit: Forgot the linky poo!!