P3D RB100 Premium VS P3D Cree?

Optik49

Enlightened
Does anyone have beam shots of a P3D RB100 PREMIUM VS a P3D Cree? It sounds like the Rebel is not much brighter.

tatsuosan1964

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any beam shots but I own both lights and tried them side by side when the Rebel version came in. It is noticeably brighter than the cree. I still like the cree but the Rebel is brighter.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rebel is brighter, but if you're comparing a P3D Cree P4 with a smooth reflector to a P3D Rebel100 with an OP reflector, it can be a little tough to see the difference because the light coming out of the Rebel100 is more diffused and spread out.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I have compared the reb 100 side by side with the Q2 and Q5 versions of the P3
D. My Q2 must have won the lottery because it is almost indistinguishable from the other two. Q5 throws the farthest by a margin and that is where the biggest difference lies with my versions. Reb 100 and Q2 throw about the same distance. Q2 has smooth reflector and Q5/reb100's have OP reflectors.
The spill of the reb 100 is just slightly larger than the Q5 but the spill on the Q5 seems a bit brighter. Center spot also seems slightly tighter on the Reb 100.

Here, the fence is 20' away, six feet tall. Exposure is at -2.
P3D Q5:
Q5P3D.jpg

P3D Reb 100:
REB100PeD.jpg

BTW, I'm not experienced in modding, soldering, or electronics theory, however the Q5 mod on this light was a breeze and I would not hesitate to upgrade to R bin when the time comes. I'm not so sure I'd be able to craft a quality rebel upgrade - we'll see

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you look around the picture, outside of the hot spot, there is a noticeable difference in brightness in the spill, the Q5 being brigther. From some testing by users here, myself, etc, we have found there to be around 40 lumens more coming out of the Q5, compared to the Rebel. So those extra 40 lumens are giving you that slightly brighter spill, maybe a bit more in the hot spot, etc.

A Q2 with an OP would look slightly dimmer, but with a smooth the hot spot will look about the same.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
WadeF,
I concur with your analysis. With regard to the Q2 version and it's comparative brightness, it was nearly indistinguishable from the Q5 even before I added the Op reflector to the Q5. Again, the chief difference was in throw. I was at first puzzled by the output of the Q5, thinking it should be brighter.

The Q5 has a slightly warmer greener tint while the Q2 is cooler and more neutral. It has been suggested to me that a cooler tint might look a bit brighter but that the warmer tint, if measured, will be putting out more light. Without the technical skills and equipment to measure, I cannot confirm. But visually, they are very close, even with smooth reflectors on each.

Optik49

Enlightened
That's just about what I was expecting. Maybe some people thought the jump from Turbo 170 to 200 lumens was going to be a big one. I found there wasn't even a huge difference between my NovaTac 120P and my P3D CE.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Our eyes don't react to light linearly, so in order to see a big difference in output, you'll need a light at least twice as bright.

The 120P is a true 120 lumen out the front while the P3D-CE(P4 version) only has a bit more lumens out the front(I'm guessing 5-15 lumens more).