Malkoff        
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

  1. #1

    Arrow Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    The LSD (Low Self Discharge) Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH AA have been available at WalMart now for a few months.


    For a while the only documentation was a Kodak Press Release (about 2/3 down the page - the heading is not highlighted)

    Kodak have finally put their Pre-Charged batteries and chargers on their USA web site -

    Kodak Pre-Charged

    There is a package of pair of AAA sized and also a bundle package with 1 hour charger.

    The 1 hour charger (model # K6200-PC) claims to charge 1 to 4 AA, but only 1-2 AAA -
    It looks like the most recent (black) 1 hour charger they also bundle with their regular 2500mAh NiMH (not LSD) at WalMart, if I recall correctly, on the one for the regular NiMH package only has a single LED indicator (I have not seen the bundle package with the Pre-Charged AA, nor the AAA Pre-Charged at WalMart)

  2. #2
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    I wonder why these claim to be able to be recharged 500 times when the others claim up to 1000. Any thoughts on this?? Or at least the Sanyos claim 1000. Any ideas?? Doug
    Grateful friend of Bill W.

  3. #3

    Question Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Quote Originally Posted by dtsoll View Post
    I wonder why these claim to be able to be recharged 500 times when the others claim up to 1000. Any thoughts on this?? Or at least the Sanyos claim 1000. Any ideas??
    Can't answer that one -
    because on the Kodak Pre-Charged page -
    it says "re-charged up to 1000 times."
    and that Kodak Press Release also says -
    "with the ability to recharge up to 1,000 times"

    Where did you see the reference to only 500 times please?

  4. #4
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    You are correct, I am mistaken, I was reading some of the links in the memoready thread below and it is the uniross hybrio that says 500 plus charges. I think I am gonna pick up some of the kodaks and give em a try, can't beat the 7.88 price on them. thanks UKV!! Anyone know who make these?? Doug
    Grateful friend of Bill W.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Wow, man I gotta go to bed, I see you posted about them being made by Yuasa, I need some sleep!!!!!!! Doug
    Grateful friend of Bill W.

  6. #6

    Arrow Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Quote Originally Posted by dtsoll View Post
    You are correct, I am mistaken, I was reading some of the links in the memoready thread below and it is the uniross hybrio that says 500 plus charges. I think I am gonna pick up some of the kodaks and give em a try, can't beat the 7.88 price on them. thanks UKV!! Anyone know who make these?? Doug
    Yes, these Kodak Pre-Charged do seem very good value for money - there have been a few favorable reports on them here.

    You are right -
    Uniross Hybrio only claim "up to 500 times" (branded as UltraLast)
    and
    RayOVac Hybrid claims "They can be recharged 500 times or more"

    It's been posted here that there are only two manufacturers of LSD batteries - Sanyo and Yuasa(?) -
    it seems from the specs Sanyo eneloops are the only ones rated at 2000mAh "typical" (1900mAh minimum) -
    whereas the both the Kodak Pre-Charged and RayOVac Hybrid AA are rated at =<2100mAh (2000mAh minimum), and Uniross/UltraLast Hybrio AA 2100mAh -
    so one would "suspect" that these other 3 are made by Yuasa(?) -
    so why the difference in number of recharge cycles?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Since few years ago all of Kodak NiMH cells and chargers have been rebranded Sanyo products. I wonder if these are Eneloops, or Kodak has changed suppliers?

  8. #8

    Arrow Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Quote Originally Posted by NiOOH View Post
    Since few years ago all of Kodak NiMH cells and chargers have been rebranded Sanyo products. I wonder if these are Eneloops, or Kodak has changed suppliers?
    That's very interesting - I didn't know that - thank you.

    In which case, there is still somewhat of a discreprency -
    eneloops are rated 2000mAh "Typical" (1900mAh min)
    Kodak Pre-Charged are rated =< 2100mAh (2000mAh min)

    There might be the very slight possibility Sanyos are making these for Kodak - as other posts here seem to think the Kodak Pre-Charged are a bit fatter in size (hence more capacity?)
    ref: Kodak vs Rayovac (Low self discharge) NiMH
    but that's a very slim possibility, why would Sanyo make a special run for Kodak, and at a better capacity?
    of course the Kodak specs might not be "accurate" - although Chevrofreak tested the Kodak Pre-Charged, and seems to think well of them -
    ref: Post #15 in this thread - My Eneloops charge to and hold a higher voltage than other LSD's
    and -
    Posts #13 and #14 in new Kodac "Pre Charged" NiMH batteries?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    I am also curious about where these Kodaks come from. Looking at the picture below, the eneloops have Sanyo's signature slightly-squarish (+) end, Rayovacs have the panasonic (yausa-delta)'s signature gradual transition (-) end. I recognize these because I've been buying batteries from only these two companies, or their relabeled versions, because they are generally excellent. But the Kodaks are a total surprise to me. Anyone else recognize their shape?


  10. #10

    Question Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Quote Originally Posted by redfish View Post
    I am also curious about where these Kodaks come from. Looking at the picture below, the eneloops have Sanyo's signature slightly-squarish (+) end, Rayovacs have the panasonic (yausa-delta)'s signature gradual transition (-) end. I recognize these because I've been buying batteries from only these two companies, or their relabeled versions, because they are generally excellent. But the Kodaks are a total surprise to me. Anyone else recognize their shape?
    Upto now we've have thought that there were only two manufacturers of LSD batteries -
    Sanyo (originators of eneloop) and Yuasa(?).

    Is there a possibilty that there are more than two manufacturers of LSD batteries?

    - or maybe the manufacturers are making more than one line of these LSDs?
    - or sub-contracting these out?
    - or just making them with some cosmetic differences?

  11. #11
    Enlightened
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    36

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    I think there is more than just the two. There are lots of Made in China variants and I suspect more than one OEM producer.

  12. #12

    Question Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH = GP ReCyko?

    Kodak Pre-Charged = GP ReCyko?

    some anecdotal evidence -

    Electrical behavior/performance -

    In AA and AAA NiMH low self-discharge tests--Round 2 over at dpReview by archae86 the Kodak Pre-Charged (KPC) and GP ReCyko (GRY) curves were very similar - almost overlapping. Graphs for AA LSDs

    This led me to guess/speculate that the Kodak Pre-Charged might be re-badged GP ReCyko?
    (GP= Gold Peak, the third manufacturer of LSD identified by Wikipedia on LSD )

    Physical appearance -


    The Kodak P-C has those distinctive 4 vent holes in the black surround of the +ve button - rated at =<2100mAh, Min. 2000mAh, and 1,000 cycles

    I only have pics of the GP ReCyko (from DealeXtreme)



    the ReCyko also have the 4 vent holes in the black surround.
    Although the GP ReCyko rating is "typical 2050mAh" on the pic of the battery it also says 2100mAh.

    There was some derision about Kodak P-C's claim of 1,000 cycles -
    GP ReCyko also claims 1,000 cycles - but seems to back this up by saying it complies with IEC standards -


  13. #13
    Flashaholic* Black Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Folks say the Kodak Pre-Charged are fatter than Eneloops and ROV Hybrids.

    I wonder if the GP Recyko batteries have the same physical dimensions (i.e. fatter) as the Kodaks...

    I wonder if SilverFox still has the GP Recyko batteries from the shootout to measure?
    Last edited by Black Rose; 05-29-2008 at 03:05 PM.

  14. #14

    Arrow Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Kodak Pre-Charged are reputed to have a fatter diameter.

    I recently acquired a digital caliper - and took some max diameter readings of the Kodak Pre-Charged along with some other well known batteries -

    I took measurments of the maximum diameter - which is near the +ve button and at the label wrapper overlap - I rotated the battery while maintaining gentle pressure to the caliper wheel to find the maximum diameter - I checked the zero before each reading to make sure I did not have any offset drift in the calipers - and took reading from 2 samples of each battery.

    Kodak Pre-Charged -
    #5 = 0.5695 in, 14.47 mm
    #6 = 0.569 in, 14.45 mm

    eneloop -
    #3 = 0.561 in, 14.25 mm
    #4 = 0.5615 in, 14.26 mm

    DuraLoop
    #7 = 0.5625 in, 14.28 mm
    #8 = 0.5625 in, 14.28 mm

    Duracell standard Alkaline -
    #1 = 0.558 in, 14.18 mm
    #2 = 0.557 in, 14.15 mm

    Energizer standard Alkaline -
    #1 = 0.557 in, 14.14 mm,
    #2 = 0.5565 in, 14.14 mm

    There was a previous measurement of the Kodak Pre-Charged diameter - in thread

    Kodak vs Rayovac (Low self discharge) NiMH

    Mr Al posted the measurements in Post #7 and for standard alkalines in #11
    and a summary by LEDninja in post #12

    "Standard alkaline
    0.555 in. 14.097 mm Rayovac AA alkie
    0.555 in. 14.097 mm Energizer "Industrial" AA alkie
    NiMH
    0.560 in. 14.2240 mm +0.005 in. +0.1270 mm RS 1800
    0.562 in. 14.2748 mm +0.007 in. +0.1778 mm Empire 2000
    0.562 in. 14.2748 mm +0.007 in. +0.1778 mm Energizer 2500
    0.569 in. 14.4526 mm +0.014 in. +0..3556 mm Kodak PreCharged"

    Can anyone else take measurements of the maximum diameter of the Kodak Pre-Charged and particularly the GP ReCyko?
    (I suspect the Kodak Pre-Charged is a re-badge of the GP ReCyko)

    See also Post #3 in
    Sanyo Eneloop vs GP Recyko AA/AAA Initial Results

    Thanks,

  15. #15

    Default Re: Kodak Pre-Charged NiMH

    Quote Originally Posted by UnknownVT View Post
    Kodak Pre-Charged are reputed to have a fatter diameter.

    I recently acquired a digital caliper - and took some max diameter readings of the Kodak Pre-Charged along with some other well known batteries -

    I took measurments of the maximum diameter - which is near the +ve button and at the label wrapper overlap - I rotated the battery while maintaining gentle pressure to the caliper wheel to find the maximum diameter - I checked the zero before each reading to make sure I did not have any offset drift in the calipers - and took reading from 2 samples of each battery.

    Kodak Pre-Charged -
    #5 = 0.5695 in, 14.47 mm
    #6 = 0.569 in, 14.45 mm

    eneloop -
    #3 = 0.561 in, 14.25 mm
    #4 = 0.5615 in, 14.26 mm

    DuraLoop
    #7 = 0.5625 in, 14.28 mm
    #8 = 0.5625 in, 14.28 mm

    Duracell standard Alkaline -
    #1 = 0.558 in, 14.18 mm
    #2 = 0.557 in, 14.15 mm

    Energizer standard Alkaline -
    #1 = 0.557 in, 14.14 mm,
    #2 = 0.5565 in, 14.14 mm

    There was a previous measurement of the Kodak Pre-Charged diameter - in thread

    Kodak vs Rayovac (Low self discharge) NiMH

    Mr Al posted the measurements in Post #7 and for standard alkalines in #11
    and a summary by LEDninja in post #12

    "Standard alkaline
    0.555 in. 14.097 mm Rayovac AA alkie
    0.555 in. 14.097 mm Energizer "Industrial" AA alkie
    NiMH
    0.560 in. 14.2240 mm +0.005 in. +0.1270 mm RS 1800
    0.562 in. 14.2748 mm +0.007 in. +0.1778 mm Empire 2000
    0.562 in. 14.2748 mm +0.007 in. +0.1778 mm Energizer 2500
    0.569 in. 14.4526 mm +0.014 in. +0..3556 mm Kodak PreCharged"

    Can anyone else take measurements of the maximum diameter of the Kodak Pre-Charged and particularly the GP ReCyko?
    (I suspect the Kodak Pre-Charged is a re-badge of the GP ReCyko)

    See also Post #3 in
    Sanyo Eneloop vs GP Recyko AA/AAA Initial Results

    Thanks,
    Last fall I loaded my Canon Rebel Xti external battery grip with (6) Kodak Pre-Charged batteries. When I went to use the camera at a special event, it didn't work. I knew the batteries were nearly new and recently charged, and at first thought the camera had failed. However, since the camera had been working fine with it's regular Li-ion battery, I removed the Kodak batteries and inserted (6) Eneloop batteries. Now everything worked fine.

    Checking after the event, I found that when I inserted the Kodak batteries into the battery holder, the springs at the base of the batteries were not strong enough to overcome the grip of the plastic which held the batteries in place (the batteries snap in place and the plastic wraps partially around the batteries), so the batteries were not being pushed against the positive terminal securely, resulting in an open circuit. No other NiMh batteries that I tried had this problem (Eneloop, Energizer).

    I have also found that they insert somewhat snugly into some AA flashlights where the other brands slide freely.

    I believe that they are within the AA battery specs that I found on the web, but they are definitely fatter than some brands, so use them with care.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •