Novatac 85 - confirmed runtime on high?

Taepo

Newly Enlightened
Read all the posts on this, and keep reading conflicting info. Can someone verify (for certain) how long the Novatac 85 will run @ 85 max level before a drop in output? Is it 30min or 60min on RCR? Is it 90min on primary?

Thanks...about to place an order, and would really like to confirm this before pulling the trigger.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get it. You won't be disappointed. I love mine. For arguments sake, lets say it has a confirmed runtime at 85 lumens for 45 minutes on a fresh primary cell. What does that mean? It means it will run 45 minutes with a new cell. So when the cell is not new, you really don't know how long it will run. Carry a few extra cells and no worries.

BTW, welcome to CPF

kelmo

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I agree with going ahead and getting one, but I have a feeling what is being asked is whether anyone ever figured out conclusively if the LEDs are the same for both the 120P and the 85P, thus giving the 85P the same runtime at 85 lumens as the 120P gets when running at 85 lumens (about 45 minutes), or.... as was originally thought 'pre-release', that the 85 models were getting emitters that were lower in efficiency and could be expected to give the same runtime at 85 lumens as the the 120 model got for 120 lumens (about 30 minutes).

Or maybe I'm totally confused, ha. A good possibility.

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
Buy the 120 if you can afford it cause you can always go to the lower setting on a 120 but you can't go above 85 on the 85. Make sense? You won't lose runtime with a 120 unless you run it full out and then probably just a little.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it won't run more than 30 minutes, you might as well buy a Surefire A2 incandescent which will run longer.

"BUY IT." :devil:

C'mon, answer the guy's question.

;)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe this review will help answer your questions.

So there's no way to get it to run more than ~30 minutes at the High level ?

Can you set more than one (or all) of the programmable levels for High and avoid the step down ?

Grubbster

Enlightened
Can you set more than one (or all) of the programmable levels for High and avoid the step down ?
No, it will step down regardless of the levels you have set. It is hard coded to help the light run at what the battery can support.