Tiablo A9 and tailcap problem

greenfrog

Newly Enlightened
I received my Tiablo A9 about a week ago. I work in Iraq and it is a great light for dark places. The problem is with the rubber tailcap. I lost the glow-in-the dark one and the black one also is very difficult to make it stay in place. The rubber lip always seems to pop out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I fear that I'll lose this tailcap soon :sigh:
____
John

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've never head of that happening, is the tailcap too tight or too loose? You could probably ask Tiablo or a dealer for more rubber boots though I'm not sure about shipping.

Welcome to CPF!

HEY HEY ITS HENDO

Enlightened
:welcome: Greetings and welcome John,
is the tailcap coming out/off cos its a poor fit or is it popping out because it has some sort of lube on it?

greenfrog

Newly Enlightened
Hello Gunner12 and Hendo,

Thanks for the welcome. The rubber lip of the tailcap does not stay under the metal hoursing evenly so if I try to push it in with a small screwdriver, one side gets bunched up and then it pops out. I have asked Lighthound to see if they can get me some more. Other than that, its a great light. I use the OP reflector since the smooth one had too narrow of a spill. Had a Huntlight before and it broke after 5 months after it fell off the toilet...sometimes we lose power here on base :eek:oo:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You'll have to unscrew the tailcap module to replace the rubber boot, the squeeze it in form the back method won't work and you will compromise some water resistance. You'll need needle nose pliers or split ring pliers to take out the switch module, unscrew the module by putting the plier tips in the holes on the back of the module and unscrew, it should be easer form then on.

Check this thread for pictures.

Well, mostly this picture(taken by StefanFS)
The tailcap disassembled. The reverse two stage clickie module has an 10 Ohm smd resistor for the low mode. The switch itself seem to come from the same manufacturer LumaPower uses. High quality in my opinion. Click on to low level, click again for high. Third click is off. The threads are not anodized so it's not possible to lock out the switch by unscrewing the tailcap a few turns. Why the switch module body has off center grooves cut into it is anyones guess. A hungover worker or somebodys idea of a joke maybe?
tiablo7.jpg

Edit: I do not have a A8 so I'm just repeating what others have said.

Last edited:

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Gunner do you have even more detailed instructions on how to replace the boot switch? :thinking: Must I unscrew the goldern contact then pry the black piece out? Or just pry the whole thing out?

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gunner do you have even more detailed instructions on how to replace the boot switch? :thinking: Must I unscrew the goldern contact then pry the black piece out? Or just pry the whole thing out?

Here you see down into the tailcap. Put the tweezers/pliers etc in the grooves and unscrew the whole module from the tailcap, then you reach the rubber boot.

tiablo6.jpg