Wanting to find an upgradeable light...

phil000

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's been awhile since my first post and I have learned a LOT since then (current, heatsinking, vf, etc...). The question I pose to all of you now is...what is a good light for constant upgrading? I like the ultrafire brand (as all the surefire fans spit on their monitors) for how fast they get the new LED's to market and the pricetag, as well as many of them are p60 compatible. It seems like there are new Crees coming out pretty reliably and I would like to stay right on the cutting edge...

I just learned of the Vf factor of putting a new LED in, there is a thread about the DX Q5 floating around somewhere...and came to the conclusion that the U2 I have coming is not very friendly for upgrading more and more as the Vf increases on each bin of LED. I have one 18650 right now for another light I have, and one in the mail as a backup, and in lieu of the Vf issue, I'm probably going to get 2 RCR123s. I also refuse to use primaries, I just hate them for some reason.

So:
1. Drives at least 900mA
2. Accepts up to 9v (2 rcr123s, that should overcome the Vf issue, right:confused:)
3. Not be insanely tight spot
4. Be easily moddable
bonus: easily glow moddable
I know I'm probably being really specific but:
What are your suggestions?

thanks for any advice you can offer ( I may totally wrong on my above assumptions...:thinking:)

Phil