can't get MalKoff 2-3-4D to Drop in and work -

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
Earlier today I received a new Malkoff 2-3-4D Drop-In to install on my Mag-Lite 4D flashlight, along with the cut off reflector. I've carefully followed the instructions, but cannot get the flashlight to work. I've tried everything to get the drop-in to stay "1/4 inch or below the outer lip of the light body" as per the instructions, but the drop in just keeps pushing back up so that it is even with the outer lip of the light body. The instructions say to use tape, but does not say what kind of tape or where to place it. I've tried placing mutible layers of tape aroung the internal part of the body, but it just works it way back out. But I'm not sure if this is causing the problem.

Update - The tape I've placed aournd the internal body of the 4D does not hold the drop in down for long.

Last edited:

JamisonM

Enlightened
I can't be sure, but it sound like the contacts on the maglite and molkoff aren't touching. Did your drop-in come with a small piece of pvc pipe? Mine did and I speculate that they were meant to go between the drop-in and the maglite's reflector to keep the drop-in in place. I can't remember exactly what the instructions said though. The fit on mine are so snug; I didn't use it.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't be sure, but it sound like the contacts on the maglite and molkoff aren't touching. Did your drop-in come with a small piece of pvc pipe? Mine did and I speculate that they were meant to go between the drop-in and the maglite's reflector to keep the drop-in in place. I can't remember exactly what the instructions said though. The fit on mine are so snug; I didn't use it.

your copper came with pvc? mine didnt

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
I tried placing the pvc in before the drop in, but cannot then screw down the head of the flashlight. I thought the PVC pipe was included to push the drop in down without getting fingerprints on it?

update - I've now read a number of threads relative to this drop-in and attempted the obvious to make it work, but to go any futher trying to get this drop-in to work, I do not have the tools or the expertise ---

update - have decided to return for refund - disappointed

Last edited:

CostcoAAcells

Newly Enlightened
Yes. That was my understanding as well. That PVC was included to help push on the copper slug. Mine took an awful lot of force to put in.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried everything to get the drop-in to stay "1/4 inch or below the outer lip of the light body" as per the instructions, but the drop in just keeps pushing back up so that it is even with the outer lip of the light body. The instructions say to use tape, but does not say what kind of tape or where to place it. ...

Update - The tape I've placed aournd the internal body of the 4D does not hold the drop in down for long.

First, the instructions say it should be at the lip of the light body PLUS OR MINUS 1/4 inch. Yours fits fine.

I don't know what tape you're talking about in the instructions. Take any tape you put on it off. If it's around the center pin of the drop in, it will block the electrical circuit. Clean off any adhesive residue too.

The PVC pipe section is only a tool to push with to protect the LED.

Last edited:

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does your serial number start with a "D"? I know that the drop-ins won't work in lights that do not start with a "D." Or "C" if it's for a C cell light.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Hmm, I thought wrong. Linkin, I'm sorry to hear your drop-in isn't working; I hope you'll consider getting a replacement. I think Gene's drop-in are really worth every penny paid for them and am sure Gene will happily help you out with your problem.

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
No D in my Serial Number, but was assured that it would work with the mag-lites without the D

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would email Gene directly and tell him the problem. I have no doubt that he will work it out with you one way or another. He's got an impeccable reputation around here that is well deserved.

beach honda

Enlightened
Yeah , Gene is good peoples and he will definately help u out. Not so sure about the drop-ins working with older "non-D" serial'd models.....

The product is excellent, i'm sure there is just a simple fix. If you don't want it, I would gladly take it off your hands :)

-chris

BR549

Newly Enlightened
I just rec'd one today and it went in without a hitch. Am sure yours is related to the serial number range - there is a note on the website and on the instructions ( in my instructions it was the very first note and in blue font). It's very clear that serial # must contain "D" or "C" in order for drop in to fit. I am sure you will have no problem returning it - Gene has excellent customer service.

Gene43

Enlightened
Yes, the light must have a D as the first character of the serial number. The ones without the D have a larger diameter and the dropin will not fit snug. It will not work as it was not designed for the older Mags. The included PVC is simply a tool to help install without accidently damaging the LED. If it is a very snug fit it may be tapped (not taped) down into the body. In most cases you should be able to use the palm of your hand to push on the PVC tool and push straight in until it seats about 1/4 inch below the lip of the body tube.

In any case a customer was dissatisfied and a paypal refund has been sent.

Thanks, Gene Malkoff

Last edited:

Latest posts