Going to Maui in 2 weeks

G1K

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any must dos? I plan on snorkling, both from the beach and on a boat tour. Sunrise on Haleakala (can't do the bike ride down this time due to injury). I also have a few great hikes planned that I found out about through geocaching.

How about anything to avoid?

Ryan

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
We went there last summer. Spent a lot of time watching my son and his cousin learning to surf in Lahaina. Took a guided hike into the rain forest which was pretty neat. Sunrise on Haleakala and the ride down was probably the best part. Does this pic look familiar?

128-2825_IMG.jpg

Watch out for rocks in the road. I managed to kill the transmission on our rental car hitting one. Didn't cost me anything, but it wasted an afternoon.

Geoff

arioch

Enlightened
Do:

Go to Maui Mall in Kahului (same town as the airport) and go to a small shop in middle of the mall near Subway called Guri Guri, and get yourself a 5 scoop mix of Guri Guri (sherbet type dessert in strawberry and pineapple flavors).

Make the drive to Hana (east Maui); this is an all day trip ... pack a lunch. Unfortunately, you can no longer drive all the way around the mountain (section closed off due to an unstable rock face), but oh well.

Hike the trails at Iao Valley.

Pay attention to your surroundings and those around you when walking around, particularly on Front Street in Lahaina. Tourists tend to be taking in the sights and are not as cautious when approached by people with bad intentions. Random assaults do occur by certain groups of locals in the area who like to pick on tourists. Although statistically it is a "rare" occurrence, if it does happen it can be a vacation ruiner. That having been said, don't stare at groups of locals as most of them are good folks, and staring at them will just exacerbate the problem; just be aware of them.

Don't:

Go shopping before going to the beach or hiking. Do not think that putting your things in the trunk or locking them in your car will keep them safe. HIGH incidence of vehicle break ins here. Think about going shopping AFTER you are done with your hike/snorkelling/activity for the day.

Leave your things unattended on the beach when going for a swim. Try to always have someone watching your things. HIGH incidence of thefts from beaches.

Leave your hotel room unlocked. Make sure all doors and windows, including upper floor lanai/patio doors are closed and locked. Keep valuables locked in the safe. HIGH incidence of burglaries.

Sorry to seem like a downer with the Don't list, but I work in private security (hotel, community, and now golf resort) here, and I encounter thefts and such a lot. Tourists tend to be "surprised" that thefts and things happen "here". Unfortunately, the tourist industry tends to downplay the whole high rate of theft thing (for obvious reasons). I would rather you be aware and prepared than another theft statistic.

Despite my words of caution, the vast majority of visitors to the island come and enjoy their stay without incident, and I hope your visit will be the same. Awareness is key.

Anyways, have fun and enjoy your stay here!! :)
Victor

FASTCAR

Banned
Scuba !

Also get ready for..SPAM !
Spam is the #1 food on the islands for some reason.

O yea, get ready to get laid :crackup:

Gizzy

Newly Enlightened
Despite my words of caution, the vast majority of visitors to the island come and enjoy their stay without incident, and I hope your visit will be the same. Awareness is key.

Anyways, have fun and enjoy your stay here!! :)
Victor

Truer words have never been spoken...these points apply to Any trip/vacation :thumbsup:
Have fun and take lots of pics :twothumbs
I'd love to be going somewhere warm...its getting cold already grrr winter

G1K

Newly Enlightened
Victor,
I am aware of the theft issues, but thanks for the reminder. I'm going to make sure the rental car is covered for broken window as a result of vandalism/theft.

Last time I was there (5yrs ago, honeymoon) we did the trip to Hana and plan to do it again this time.

Last time we didn't do as much exploring on the island, or much going out if you know what I mean. I want to get out a little bit more this time.

Your don't list is duly noted. And Guri Guri will probably be our first stop for food. :)

Thanks,
Ryan

ChopperCFI

Newly Enlightened
Snorkeling at Black Rock is very protected but still lots of fish. Literally walk off the beach and go out 20 yds.

It's behind one of the hotels (Sheraton I think) north of Lahaina. There are about 8 public parking spaces nearby. Park in the shopping mall pay lot to the south and get your ticket validated at any store.

Best island for a helicopter ride.

Buy gas at Costco near the airport if your a member. Its significantly cheaper than anywhere else.

Best guidebook I've ever seen is Maui Revealed. It's the only one that was worth spending my money on. Very direct reviews and recommendations of activities, vendors, hotels, etc. including both positive and negative reviews. Most libraries at home should also be able to get it.

Groundhog66

Banned
Tips

Eat at Roy's and order the Chocolate Souffle'

Get's pretty crowded and COLD at sunrise if you go to Haleakala, we went in the afternoon.

Say hello to Don....:wave:

Go to Kaanapali Beach

Go to see "Da Blow Hole"

Don't kick a root and break your toe the first time you walk out to the beach....:mecry:

Get some Maui Tacos, at Maui Tacos.

Go to the Lahaina Luau

Enjoy the sights and smells, dat Island is a ting o beauty

Don't plan too much, you will feel too rushed and get all stressed out.

+1 on the book "Maui Revealed", it gives you a lot of info and even gives mile markers for attractions.

craigberesh

Newly Enlightened
Go to 7 pools near Hana. Follow the river up stream to the really big waterfalls. Most people dont know this is there:tinfoil:

JohnB

Newly Enlightened
I lived in Maui for 7 years you will love it.

Good things to do:
Roys Kahana Bar and Grill (the best)
David Pauls (Lahaina)
Swan Court (At the Hyatt on Kannapali Beach

If you Golf take the boat over to Lanai and play the challenge. If you don't golf they use to have something called CLub Lania that was a fun daytrip

Snorkel Molakini crater

G1K

Newly Enlightened
Guri Guri is closed until Friday or Saturday. Bummer.

Ryan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you are staying on West Maui or don't mind the drive to Kaanipali I would suggest you do a snorkel/ sail on one of the cats that typically go up to Honuloa Bay. For beach snorkeling, I have been going out at "Airport Beach" which is the locals name for the beach north of Black Rock (Kaanipali) for years and still find it to be one of the best spots with all things considered. There is a public park and parking lot with lawn and restrooms and showers just south of the new Westin time share complex. The reef in front of the Westin has nice diverse corals and a good sampling of the sea creatures. You get there by taking a turn towards the ocean on Kai Ala which is a stop light at the northern end of Kaanipali. This is a turn you make off Honoapiilani Hwy which is the main road on West Maui.

Hula Grill on the beach in front of Whaler's Village at Kaanipali is good grinds with reasonable prices, IMHO.

I have never eaten at Mama's Fish House over past the airport but I know many consider it a must.

As others have suggested, you will probably enjoy the vacation more if you do less but do it well and savor the moment.

Are you here now? We have rain today. :) :eek:

arioch

Enlightened
Today (Sunday) is the last day for our Maui County Fair. It is located in Wailuku, and entry is half price today.

Sorry I didn't send this sooner, but I didn't know if you had internet access where you were staying.

G1K

Newly Enlightened
We're staying at the Palms in Wailea through Monday next week (10-8). Tomorrow we're going to try to get up and make the sunrise at Haleakala. I think we've run out of time to make the fair today. We were right near there yesterday eve, I bet it would have been fun.

McGizmo, I think I found the beach you're referring to on the map, near Alii Kahekili Nui Ahumonu Beach Park? We're going to head out there on Tuesday or Wednesday on the way to Makalua-puna Point.

Today we spent the morning snorkeling in front of Maui Ocean Front hotel in Wailea.

It's great to just walk out into the ocean and see the tropical fish normally only seen in NY in stores. So much color and so vibrant.

I think we're going to try Roys or the Hula Grill on Thursday (5th year anniversary). My wife wants a restaurant on the water, so maybe the Hula Grill will be the choice.

Thanks for all the recommendations so far. keep 'em coming.

Ryan

arioch

Enlightened
Some other recommended oceanfront restaurants would be the 5 Palms Grill located at the Mana Kai resort (located on the Wailea end of South Kihei Road next to the Maui Oceanfront Inn, about 5 minutes from your place @ Palms at Wailea- beautiful sunsets), Maalaea Waterfront Restaurant located in Maalaea (top awards and voted regularly as one of Maui's top restaurants), and Mama's Fish House located in Paia (east side).

BTW, I work as roving security patrol for Wailea Golf Club (Gold and Emerald). That's a pretty nice place you got yourself @ the Palms at Wailea.

Hope you're enjoying yourself, and don't get so busy with the activities that you don't "stop to smell the roses" ... the island is beautiful, even with all of the construction and traffic. :)

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ryan,
I guess a post I made last night never actually got posted. I believe you have identified the right park and given its proper name, there is no wonder it is referred to still as Airport Beach! :)

The visibility has been pretty nice for snorkeling and I am pleased that more turtles have been around lately. I don't know if that is due to the off season tourist wise or if it's just a turtle thing. There are a couple adult female hawksbill turtles who hang out there and recently I have been seeing one just about every day. It's amazing to watch them shove their head into the dead, alge sporting coral and break off pieces going after the alge out of reach. Should you make it into the water there, keep an eye out for one! I went out yesterday and saw three green sea turtles who are local as well as oneof the Hawksbill turtles I also took pics of a couple days ago:

P9280073.jpg

There is another nice restaurant that I can't recall the name of that is shorefront up by Maalaea harbor?!?

G1K

Newly Enlightened
No kidding, the official name is quite a mouth full.

I swam with a turtle that looked just like the one in your pic yesterday. It was just kinda swimming along and grabbing loose algae from the bottom. Made it up to Haleakala today. the views were great, could see all the way to the big island. It was a bit cloudy when we left so I didn't put sun block on, now I'm paying for it.

Still better than working :)

Arioch, thanks for more restaurant recommendations. Of the three, which is your favorite?

Ryan

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Ryan,
It was probably a green sea turtle which are much more abundant. I went for a late swim today and came across the same hawksbill and while watching her another larger hawksbill showed up. Cool! They didn't seem to be on good terms and the larger one circled in on the smaller one and they had a bit of a rumble. I did a google on Hawksbill and found that their primary food source is sponge which makes sense as the sponge over here is not very big and seems to grow in the nooks and crannies of dead coral. That's why the Hawksbill are always breaking the coral off trying to get at the sponge.

PA010011.jpg

Yeah,
The UV comes right through the clouds and can really sneak up on you!

I didn't catch arioch's mention of the restaurant at Maalaea but I bet that's the one I was thinking of. Good food for sure. Isn't there a Spagos down in Wailea that is pretty good? I ate at a restaurant there I think by that name that was touted as good. Food tasted good to me but I am no expert on fine dining! :eek: For some tasty take out up at this end, Okazuya has a waiting line at all times but is worth the wait, me thinks. In fact I need to call in an order in the next few minutes :) Good lunch potential for your trek up here maybe.

E-mail me for my cell number if you feel like getting wet at Airport and don't mind goofy company.....