Beamshot Pic Idea

Phaetos

Enlightened
Being new to the flashaholism, I had a "bright" idea last night. Couldn't avoid the pun, sorry. In reviews a beam shot is usually given to indicate the amount of hotpot and spill coverage. My wife put our goldfish into a regular sized 10 gallon aquarium over the weekend and I realized they needed some light. So I took one of my little 8 LED lights over to it and stuck it up next to the glass. :twothumbs Looks great, like sunshine at the bottom of clear water. The point in though, I could clearly see the beam in the water. The focused hotspot in the center and the amount of spill coverage. I will take some pics tonight to give you an idea of what I mean. I was thinking that using a clear bowl or small aquarium would be a good addition of shots for the reviews. Probably not as a fantastic idea as the guy who did the stairwell idea, but worthy still I think of consideration.

Phaetos

Enlightened
Dorcy Metal Gear 1W

Garrity 8 LED 3xAAA

River Rock 1xAAA

MagLED 3W 2xC - Focused

MagLED 3W 2xC - Flood

MagLED-3W-2xC-Flood.jpg

Last edited:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool pics. I like seeing the angle of how much light is coming out. I wonder how something all flood like a McGizmo mule would look.

Phaetos

Enlightened
They actually turned out better than I hoped. The poor goldfish weren't sure to make of all the light, but they'll get over it. :rolleyes: Any other thoughts from people?

nutz_about_lights

Enlightened
Hey I think that's pretty neat Phaetos! :crackup: I think that kind of shots would be useful if we wanna know whether a light has more throw of flood. Most of the time to check out a light's hotspot or spillbeam we place the lights on the floor and shine them at a wall, but the lightbeam is blocked by the floor. I think here we can see the full beam. :)

Bushman5

Enlightened
you could also spray smoke detector test smoke in the air, let it settle a bit then fire the lights up. It clearly shows the beam pattern.

DM51

Flashaholic
Neat idea, but try that with a Mag623 and after a few seconds you'll have boiled the fish.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great idea! In the pic for the M@g [wide beam] you can see the thin beam of bright light that makes the donut.

Are you holding the light up to the side glass, or just above the water pointing down?

Phaetos

Enlightened
Neat idea, but try that with a Mag623 and after a few seconds you'll have boiled the fish.

I would assume to not use a tank that was populated for high output lights. It was handy at the time and made for a neat distraction when I was bored :popcorn:

Phaetos

Enlightened
This is a great idea! In the pic for the M@g [wide beam] you can see the thin beam of bright light that makes the donut.

Are you holding the light up to the side glass, or just above the water pointing down?

I had my wife hold the light directly to the side just below water level. There is an air pump in the tank, so the water was moving a bit, possibly distorting the beam a bit. If I can find another tank to use just for beamshots, that would be ideal to have still water and not fish gunk in it.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great idea !!!

But some people just don't need water:

Remember.. There was no fogggy or hazy air inbetween, it was a clean evening with 40+miles visibillity..

cpfmaxabl1uo8.jpg

Shot at 2007-01-27

Regards,

Ra

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been known to wait for a foggy evening and then go to town with the beamshots.

A steamed up bathroom (hot shower) can work too. :naughty:

Illum

Flashaholic
Ra

let me guess, you pulled out your short arc and and a tripod for that shot didn't you :grin2:
:kewlpics:

A steamed up bathroom (hot shower) can work too. :naughty:

its nearly impossible to keep water from condensing on the lens though....I've tried warming up the camera...but by the time I was ready to shoot the steam pretty much dissipated

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra

let me guess, you pulled out your short arc and and a tripod for that shot didn't you :grin2:
:kewlpics:

Guess I'm busted.. But: I didn't use a tripod ! I used the roof of my car..

Ohh, and Phaetos: Yep !! Couldn't resist !

Regards,

Ra.

Last edited:

Brozneo

Enlightened
Yes the fish tank idea is good - I have seen it used before on here as well in another thread (cant find it at the moment!)

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Honey, we're having fish for dinner... again.. my Maxablaster-fish-tank-beamshots-session took a little longer than I thought... :oops:

Regards,

Ra.