Happiest I've Been with a Light in Years

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
I know we probably all experience the "flavor of the month" enthusiasm with our new purchases, but this light transcends mere passing fancy.

I recently put together a Surefire C2-HA, a Wolf Eyes 4-mode Cree drop-in, a Z48 clicky switch and some of AW's rechargable cells. And I couldn't be happier with the result as a general-use utility flashlight.

I have a package that is relatively compact, as near indestructible as a light can be, great output, versatility with different output levels, guilt-free lumens and that solid well-built feeling that only a quality product can have. With the Z48, it even tail-stands to illuminate a room. When new emitters come out, all I have to do is change the drop-in, and can avoid obsolescence and replacement of the entire light.

Even though I have only had it for a month or so, it is a veteran of two long power outages (is there a worse power company than Southern California Edison??) and a nocturnal "neighbor issue". It's performed like a champ.

My only wish is that it were small enough to EDC in a regular pocket, but I guess we can't have everything. My L1D-CE does a fine job in that role.

I know this sounds like one of those, "Wow, I just discovered good lights" posts, but I haven't been this enthused about a flashlight since I bought my first L4, all those years ago.

Flashaholism, reborn!

lightemup

Flashaholic*
Nice one! I've been thinking of the Wolf Eyes drop in you describe, do you mind explaining how it works and how good the mode changing etc works in practical use?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Too big to EDC?

My first tactical light was a Surefire C2. (Still have it).
Had no problem EDCing it in a pair of dress pants. :)

bonvivantmike

Enlightened
Nice one! I've been thinking of the Wolf Eyes drop in you describe, do you mind explaining how it works and how good the mode changing etc works in practical use?

The Wolf Eyes works in the same way as the L1D or L2D Fenix do for switching modes. Anything that interrupts power to the module switches to the next mode. With a clicky, all you need is a quick press on the switch. You don't have to push it far enough to click. I will often scroll through the modes with "soft" touches, then hard-click the one I actually want.

It always starts out in high, then goes to strobe, then medium, then low. I find that having the clicky switch makes mode changes much easier than with a twisty switch, as in the unmodified C2. I have drop-ins in all my G2s as well, but I went with the one-mode DealExtreme, since they don't have clickies.

Originally, as I recall from another thread, the strobe mode was supposed to be last in the rotation, but there was a programming error.

As far as EDCing a C2, I just find it too large for a front pocket on any pants I own. It might fit in a back pocket, but I have had problems with edges and knurling causing fade marks and even fabric damage when carried in a back pocket and sat on often. I sometimes carry it when wearing "carpenter" type shorts or cargo pants, but it doesn't work for me in jeans, chinos or dress pants. And due to its large size, it might not even fit with everything else in my sporran the next time I wear my kilt! ;)

With a holster it might be a candidate for EDC, but I have yet to find a holster that works well with the C2 or C3 because of the rubber ring around the body. If anyone knows of a nylon holster (not the Surefire polymer holster, but just regular nylon) that works with a C2, I'd appreciate knowing about it.