Increased International Shipping Rates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lampje

Newly Enlightened
Hi Peter,

It frustrated me that at this moment the cheapest International shipping option is $20 (USPS). A few months ago I paid for the same shipping option $10.50. That's an increase of 90 percent within a year!!! And that's still with no insurance.

For example, I ordered today a Arc Camo at 25 bucks. Shipping costs? 20 bucks. That's a lot of money to ship such a dam small and cheap light.

Hope you can clear this up for us International Arc lovers.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is quite a bit. I hadn't looked at it for awhile. I will check and see why the post office is raising the rates so much.

peter

Lampje

Newly Enlightened
Thanx, I spend this month already 40 bucks on shipping costs only on your site, whereas I rather spend that money on nice lights.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the last USPS price increase was ridiculous. I used to be able to send small items for $2-3. Now it seems that bare minimum for international is $7.20, and that was for a tiny little package sent slow and cheap. All the cheap international shipping options from USPS seem to have disappearred.

Typical government agency response to increased private competition, raise prices and reduce services.

greenLED

Flashaholic
This is totally not under Peter's control.

All the cheap international shipping options from USPS seem to have disappearred.

I just had to dish $35 to send a small package down to a friend, and that was the cheap rate! :sick2:

OTOH, I mailed 2 small packages the other day; the contents were similar. One went to Canada and cost me $1, the other went somewhere in the US and was $1.30-something. I had the person behind the counter double-check and she couldn't explain the difference - that was what the computer kept spitting back at us. :shrug:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I meant the hike in the specific postal fare he's chosen to send lights abroad. I am fully aware there are other international mailing options available.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding is that they no longer send stuff surface mail (sea mail).

A great loss.

My US purchases have plummeted as a result.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Peter, I'm not sure what Mod privileges you have...since this subject applies to such a broad arena - say the word & we'll move it to the Cafe?

There are various reasons as to why sellers pick specific shipping methods. I respect those reasons and their choices (but that doesn't stop me from asking for a less expensive method - sometimes the seller will change, sometimes they won't...again, I do respect their right to choose). Shipping calculators are available on the USPS, UPS, & FedEx websites.

Last edited:

GregWormald

Enlightened
The shipping rates from the US to Australia are now a matter that must be taken into account when purchasing. I've had very small items with quoted minimum postage of $26, and a medium pocket knife express air mailed two weeks ago for $8.
That's an $18 difference--guess which shop gets my business.
Greg

Lampje

Newly Enlightened
[...] Shipping calculators are available on the USPS, UPS, & FedEx websites.

Peter, I looked at the USPS site hinted above by Sigman, and it looks like you used the 'Priority Mail® International' option which cost indeed $20. In my opinion you should better use the 'Priority Mail® Flat Rate Envelope' option which has the same EDT but costs only $11.

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
I was about to purchase an Arc AAA yesterday - but backed out when i discovered that the cheapest shipping to Australia cost nearly as much as the knife!

Surely there is a cheaper way (normal padded envelope?)?
Perhaps we could request the torch to be unpacked and just sent in a padded envelope, not as a parcel?

It seems strange, as I recently sent 6 bluetooth servers and their power packs (big box, 6kg) to the USA for only $32 AUD (about $25 USD) - and it costs that much to send an arc aaa here!

Would love to hear if any 'work around' exists - it's the only thing stopping me buying an arc :(

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not having sea mail available from USA at all has changed the landscape of private imports forever.

It's a brave (and much dearer) new world.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I took a look at this. Yes, the USPS has significantly increased international rates. Domestic is still the same price ($4.60) but international has gone from $12-18 to $19-26 in the past year or so. We are already using the minimum method they allow for hard items. The only other thing I can think of is to encourage more local dealers to carry the stock.

Sorry guys.

peter

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
How about an unpacked arc or three in a global priority flat rate envelope ($11)?

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about airmail letter?

PhotonFanatic sent me a package larger than an arc as Airmail (it came in a bubble envelope) and the postage stamp is $1.80.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about airmail letter?....
Letters Vs. Package seems to be one of those things that vary from office to office depending on how the clerks choose to interpret the rules. It even varies from clerk to clerk. I've tried to ship some small items in the letter envelopes and the clerk has no problems with it and it ships fine. Other times I've had them say it has to go as a package. That's why when I ship international, I always ask for the package rate to be paid up front and then tell the buyer that if I can get it shipped cheaper I'll refund the difference. In my experience, there's just no way to reliably predict the actual international shipping costs before you actually go down to the post office.

ausbump

Newly Enlightened
I believe that the sending of 'not flat' items in the priority envelope is allowed. I've received many parcels in them before - including thick ones - and the website suggests that non flat items are allowed "send your documents and merchandise worldwide".

Hopefully those at arc will give it a try. I'm almost tempted to ask someone else to buy and post me one!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.