HELP! Can't figure out my new MRV-SE

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I just got my LumaPower MRV-SE w/Q5 in the mail today. This is my first high-power, high-quality flashlight. It did not come with any directions.

I inserted two fresh CR123As into the tube anode (-) end first and turned it on. Nothing.

I then removed the batteries and put them in cathode (+) end first. My light barely now barely illuminates. Maybe 10 lumens. Also, I can't seem to make the high/low switch function.

I tried three different sets of brand-new CR123A batteries with the same results. I don't have any 18650s to try in this light.

What is going on with my new light? Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
You tried inserting the batteries both way possible????

Ähhmmm...:thumbsdow

I don't know if the MRV has polarity portection, if not, i'm not pleased to say you probably killed the driver-board....:poof:

When it has PP, try cleaning the Threads and de-assemble the switch and re-assemble it, that could be the reason.

I think other MRV owners will chim in here soon.

MfG Mr.Urahara

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You might have already burned out regulator in the light since most LED lights don't take reverse polarity well. Try to get a replacement.

Have you tried twisting the silvery part of the light, if you hear a click, it is the high/low switch engaging or disengaging.

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
You gotta be kidding me?

How was I supposed to know which way to insert the batteries? Are all flashlight manufacturers this ambiguous about battery polarity?

So am I hosed, or will LumaPower take care of me?

Mr.Urahara reloaded

Newly Enlightened
I don't think that placing the batteries the wrong side in falls under waranty.

I know it really sucks but try to see it as lesson.

1. No description really sucks and there should be one inserted, thats my opinion, but it's the decision of the manufacturer:shrug:.

2. If you are not sure how to insert the batteries, don't just try out!
For myself i wouldn't let the " how could i know?" phrase count.
One minute with the search function on CPF or on Google would reveal
how to insert batteries corectly.

3. Order a replacement module, there seems to be no other way...

4. About the ambiguety ( is that spellt correct?) : Most of the times it is obvious. Negative first is the thing to go whith my Inovas but it is + first most all the time. I think the MRV has a spring at the tailcap? that's were the - part makes contact and that makes sense.

Sorry for you and your light but sometimes life is not fair-minded.

MfG Mr.Urahara

Patriot

Flashaholic
Gunfighter, speak with the selling dealer. He may be able to help you out. You're new to lights and there were no instructions. I think I know were you purchased it and I'm sure the owner would be more that happy to help you out. I'm not about to put my batteries in back-wards to test it for you, but it's possible that you didn't even cause the problem. You may have just bumped into the 1% odd ball light with an issue. Sorry to hear that you had a problem because I know it's hard to wait for a new light and then be disappointed.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would also contact the folks you got the light from as I am sure they will make it right. I have one of the original MRV's and mine came the same way...nothing in the box except the light and packing. You would think after spending $120.00+ (I am guessing here) that the manufacturer could at least put in a piece of recycled paper with a little bit of instructions on them. You could have found info on the forum about the battery placement, but why? It should be right there in front of you! Most lights have the batteries installed with the + end toward the lamp, but not all. If you have any Inova's you will know what I mean. This is not your fault and you should be sent a replacement. What if somewhere down the road they redesign their lights so the batteries go in - towards the lamp??? With no instructions this could happen all over again! This is my opinion and I am sticking with it!!:D

Mike

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast
The driver is most probably fried. There is no reverse polarity protection (that I'm aware of anyway), nor is polarity protection mentioned anywhere that I'm aware of. The same goes for polarity, I've never seen it mentioned.
Stefan

gunfighter

Newly Enlightened
I called Battery Junction today and explained the situation. They have decided to give me an RMA to return the light for an engine repair or replacement.

There was no discussion about any financial obligation on my part . . . . yet. So far so good, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Right now I'm just happy I'm getting some attention in resolving this issue.

More to come . . . .

greenstuffs

Banned
The only flashlight that i know off that works with the battery niples down are the INOVA's good luck with BJ.
I called Battery Junction today and explained the situation. They have decided to give me an RMA to return the light for an engine repair or replacement.

There was no discussion about any financial obligation on my part . . . . yet. So far so good, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Right now I'm just happy I'm getting some attention in resolving this issue.

More to come . . . .

Patriot

Flashaholic

More to come . . . .

Glad to hear that gunfighter. Glad to hear that they're working with you. If StephanFS says that there is no polarity protection I agree that it's fried. He knows his stuff and knows the MRV inside out. Oh well..it was an honest mistake and could have happened to anyone who didn't spend their life around flashlights. I've ruined them in other ways. Hey, keep this thread going and update us about how it turns out. Thanks :)

zpaulg

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully Battery Junction will see you right!

I've heard nothing but good things about them on the forums, so you'll probably be OK!

The lack of "destructions" is the norm for Lumapower, God knows why, can only lead to heartache IMO.

Good luck.........

RebelXTNC

Enlightened
According to Matt at BatteryJunction in a thread here today regarding the new M1-R, LumaPower is working on instructions that will be included and/or downloadable for their lights.
The only reason I knew the polarity of my M1-R is because of the discussions here on CPF about using flat-top 18650's in this particular light.

paxxus

Enlightened
On a side note "anode" and "cathode" are bad terms to use in the first place, since the anode on a battery is the negative terminal while the anode on a LED is the positive terminal, which can be confusing. Better to use the terms "positive" and "negative" (or +/-) like normal mortals.

For example, the instructions on my Tiablo says "Battery anode towards head, or LED will be burnt." Well, if I actually followed these instructions the LED would indeed be burnt, since the battery anode is the negative.

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
FYI The Dereelight CL1H has a diagram of correct battery placement etched onto the branding panel. Helped me--me like pictures.:naughty:
UH1C