Thoughts on the Pak-Lite

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Been pondering the Pak-Lite site again after a year or so of enjoying my Safelights for their runtime and extra modes. Now it's more out of an engineering love and support for small business that I may get a pak-lite. The problem is narrowing it down from their selection to end up with something I won't complain about. Do I get the dual-color pilot version that the Air Force is using? The new Nichia white model with the glow cap? The NV Green I've heard so much about? Get a couple 'Basic' models for the same price despite the lower quality?

Are they even worth the price for something so simple, small business or not? What's their real niche?

leprechaun414

Enlightened
I purchased the one with the newer brighter LEDs with the glowcap for mainly the "long run" factor.
When I got it my first thought was WOW this thing is small. It seems to be pretty well made. They say with a lithium battery it will run forever. I was thinking about geting one of the basic ones to compare but other people posted to get the newer brighter one.
I too am now looking into the Red/White one for use mainly on a Marine patrol in the summer months to navigate inside the cabin.
I would recommend one of these if your are looking into a pretty cool small emergency light.

DaveG

Enlightened
I have 3 of them, a GID with the brighter white leds,and 2 of the basic GID model with just on and off. I like them all,the basic ones are quite bright,for indoors use. I went with a basic model first and liked it enough to spring for a upgrade to a higher end model.

Illum

Flashaholic
I own 5 basics, the GITD cap works up to 4 hours assuming your eyes are completely adjusted to the dark. I <3 them...the only downside: its NOT WATERPROOF....the contacts will corrode and one of my basics contacts became loose after it fell from the table:ohgeez:

I leave them beside each bedroom's table beside the bed. once awhile it makes you smile when you see a nonflashaholic relative walks around the house with one either on a trip to the bathroom or others:D

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep one with a lithium battery in the emergency kit of each of our cars. Simple, small, runs forever - love 'em.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I've got one of the newer, brighter "Super" versions that I bought earlier in the year. It has a low and high mode and works great.

Right now it sits in my bag as a long runtime emergency light.

They aren't the cheapest light, but good quality and supporting a US-based business is what sold me.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
Is the GITD top really worth it? This might see some casual use, curious if the glow-top makes it look cheap or comical.

bigfoot

Enlightened
I bought a black top and a glow top version; gave the glow version away as a gift and kept the black top.

The glow version was, at least to me, distracting when the light was on (some light shone through the cap, versus the black version not letting any light through).

h_nu

Enlightened
Mine is the two level pre-super bright with the glow cap. I think it was worth it for the glow. I keep it on the nightstand and it glows for hours. Easy to find in the dark. Handy and light weight. I think it would be my shirt pocket carry light next time I go backpacking.

AlexSchira

Enlightened
I debated the glow feature for nightstand use, but thinking it over my Safelight fills that niche with no light charging with the option to point where the glow is pointing. While the GITD Basic models are great emergency options, for casual use among friends and the public having a glow in the dark thing on a 9V will have people asking what carnival I got it from. The other colors aren't much better, considering getting the black cap in whatever I end up with and covering the battery itself with duct or electrical tape to improve its water-resistance and scuff protection some. In the end I'd have an ultra-long running, cheaply maintained beater light that'll run for a year.Anyone else feel that the glow option isn't best for casual use as a light?