Xeon lights Cheap and Bright?

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Cree from DX - the VB-16. I know it has a much longer runtime than just about any Xeon light.

However, DX has several cheap Xeon lights in the 7-14v range and they claim they are in the 200-280 lumen range! This seems like an incredible amount of power for a two CR123A light. Has anyone used any of these lights? Are they really 200Lumens +? These lights are all very cheap at $7-11...

If so, I wouldn't mind getting one, despite the terrible run time. And most of them get uncomfortably hot after 5-10 minutes from what I have read.

Here is a link to some of the lights I was looking at.

Anyone own any of these? Worth the $? They seem like an incredible value!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If bright & cheap are the 2 factors most important to you in choosing a light, then the lights from DX are probably worth it.

But ordering from DX can be a pain. You place your order, and then you wait. Sometimes for quite awhile. They're not known for their customer service.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I think you answered your own question, to a large extent. Gets too hot quickly and terrible runtime. What you save on the light you'd spend on batteries.

In addition I'd suggest hit-and-miss build quality. I suppose some of the DX lights would be considered value for money (paradoxically, the more expensive ones) but many are little more than junk.

I have to state an interest, in a way - I don't own any DX lights. I'd rather spend more for more quality.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Ultrafire WF-500, which DX sells, as well as lighthound.com. It's rated at 500 lumens. DX has it for around $26. It can run on CR123's, or a pair of 18650's. I think on two 18650's it's supposed to run for around 40 minutes.

willrx

Enlightened
I like my Ultrafire WF-500, which DX sells, as well as lighthound.com. It's rated at 500 lumens. DX has it for around $26. It can run on CR123's, or a pair of 18650's. I think on two 18650's it's supposed to run for around 40 minutes.

Also runs on 2x18500's if you remove the mid section.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

That model seems to be quite popular. Another CPFer measured its output from out the front. (Where it actually counts). Don't remember the exact thread though.
He got closer to 350 lumens.

Still, impressive output for the money.

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
If bright & cheap are the 2 factors most important to you in choosing a light, then the lights from DX are probably worth it.

But ordering from DX can be a pain. You place your order, and then you wait. Sometimes for quite awhile. They're not known for their customer service.
Sorry I disagree. They are the one of the best Chinese dealers. He has already bought from DX and is not asking about them but about the lights. Yes some of them are bright but getting a lot of Lumens from incan is not hard and not expensive.

LightBeing

Newly Enlightened
Think about it this way. You can buy a 100 watt bulb for some of the high power Mag mods for a few bucks. High power in incan is just a simple matter of a little thicker filament and slightly thicker glass and a few things like that. It's not cutting edge science like getting more lumens out of LED's.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I might buy a Xeon one then as a secondary light. I don't need insane run time. I have a spotlight also w/ a 55W bulb that only lasts 15 minutes. These little Xeon lights are almost like pocket spot lights. They are tiny, but get hot!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
That model seems to be quite popular. Another CPFer measured its output from out the front. (Where it actually counts). Don't remember the exact thread though.
He got closer to 350 lumens.

Still, impressive output for the money.

Do you know what batteries he was using? The more voltage you have coming from the batteries the brighter it will be. With a pair of 18650's you're givingthe bulb around 8 volts. I'd have to check, but I think you can also use 3xCR123's which would give you 9 volts or more.

Using 2x18650's I seem to get around 400 lumens from my testing.

Edit: Checked and I don't see any mention of being able to use 3xCR123's. I wonder if I should try it, I have some spare bulbs, spacers, etc, but it might be hard on the CR123's. :)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Do you know what batteries he was using?.....

.... Edit: Checked and I don't see any mention of being able to use 3xCR123's. I wonder if I should try it, I have some spare bulbs, spacers, etc, but it might be hard on the CR123's. :)

I believe he was using 18650s in his light.

Honestly, I don't think that's a good idea, Wade.

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
My experience with DX has been outstanding (12 orders).

I have the WF-500 and it's a fine light with incredible power.

DX sells a drop-in LED module just for this light on their site.

Read the battery notes at the bottom if you choose the WF-500.

Good luck - Larry

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the run time really 40 minutes, on 2x18650s? Also, does it put out a lot of heat? Is it uncomfortable to hold after a few minutes? Btw, Im very pleased by DX so far. I just ordered the VB-16 and they shipped it out within like 2 days. I even asked if I could upgrade to protected cells. They added them to my order and did not charge me anything! Awesomeness! :D

Wassernaut

Newly Enlightened
To be honest - I've never done a run time on the WF-500. I'm using protected AW 18650's and they do a great job. I just rarely use it in half hour burns. After it's on awhile it puts out a good amount of heat straight forward, but it's never been uncomfortable to hold. I've never noticed any heat unless I stick my hand in front of the lens. I can't answer for others - but DX has been fantastic to me. Enjoy your light, but don't forget and look in the front end if you think you might want more kids. - Larry