Modding a terralux

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
just a simple question.

would it be worthwhile swapping the LED on the 6EX for another LED.
it will be used in a 4D.

the reason i ask is due to using a aspheric lens and they don't work too well with the emitter on the 6EX.

thanks

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
there was a thread here i cant find that someone replaced a stock magled dropin with a ssc i think. can't find it though.

Steve Curtis

Newly Enlightened
Perfect :thumbsup:

ill give this a go with a q5 in the 4D mag , i have an old 6EX in my draw with a nasty LED that was damaged.

this could be fun for a nice simple project :twothumbs

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i ordered my q5 from KD which is fixed on a star so i have to heat it up so th led removes from it.

i broke off the whole copper both positive and negative from the magled because i'm not going to use the led anyway.

it's nice to have another person helping. i had the led upside down and had someone hold the copper piece with a tweezer while i used one hand for the solder and the other for the heat gun.
you definitely need steady hands as the space is small that you need to solder to.

i didn't bother with a copper heatsink as the stock had none. just put some thermal compound in between the led and pill.

as a precaution maybe you can test to see that the copper (negative, positive) is correctly soldered on the led by feeding it some juice. reason i say this is because i heard the circuits blow if there is no led in the mag pill so you definitely don't want to power on with no led.

it's pretty simple swap. not as simple as a star swap. just take your time. cree makes a significant bump up in power.