Surefire A2 vs. L1. Need advice...First Purchase!

spinny

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I'm about to make my first major investment in a 'premium' flashlight. I was pretty set on the A2 Aviator until I saw the specs for the new L1 LumaMax.

Here's what I'm seeing:
Max output/runtime: A2: 50 lumens/1 hour, L1: 65 lumens/1.5 hours
Low output/runtime: A2: 3 lumens/20 hours, L1 10 lumens/16 hours

The A2 requires 2 batteries to achieve this. The L1 does it with just one. The A2 is priced at $195, the L1 $135.

Can someone please explain to me the advantages that the A2 has over the L1? I feel like I'm missing something here.

Based on the information provided by Surefire's website, I'm not really sure why anyone is still buying the A2, especially at $60 more.

Thanks, everyone.

Seth

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
There will be others who will chime in, so I'll make it quick

-The A2 is the only regulated incandescent flashlight on the market

-The primary beam is underrated, second party tests have found it's between 70 and 80 lumens

-The incandescent lamp gives better color rendition than the LED

-The incandescent lamp and the three LEDs, besides from having different outputs, also have different beam patterns to match their outputs.

-Much of the price difference is explained by the A2 being a far more complicated light than the L1.

*Edit* I forgot my disclamer: All that being said, the L1 may still be the better light for you. The more details you can give us about how the light will be used, the better advice we can give in return. Hope this helps.

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A2 has two different beams - the LED's provide a floody beam for close-up work, and the Xenon lamp provides about 79 lumen (50 lumen according to SF, underestimated) with excellent color rendition and good throw.
The A2 is a LED/Incan hybrid light, and one of a few (if not the only mass produced) regulated incans available. There are certain advantages of incan light, it has been discussed many times.

I don't have the L1, so I can't compare. It certainly has it's own advantages, it depends on what you need the light for...

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
...and Key Grip sneaks a post on me, so I'll pretty much reiterate the importance of this:

...the L1 may still be the better light for you. The more details you can give us about how the light will be used, the better advice we can give in return. Hope this helps.

It really depends on what you expect to do with this new light as to which light might be most useful for you.

Another point to ponder: the maintenance costs on the L1 are lower. There are no lamp assemblies (LA's) to replace, and you're only using 1 battery at a time. But, see our comments about what your intended use will be.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell you which one is my favorite one. I'm probably getting a new Cree L1 for Christmas (my second L1), but I'm also considering another A2. Clear as mud? :confused:

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I have both, and I love them both. It took me a while to fully appreciate the regulated incandescent beam of the A2. After purchasing a few more incandescent flashlights since my A2, I've come to realize how technically advanced the A2 is compared to other incandescents which slowly grow dimmer and yellower through the life of the batteries. The A2's incandescent is one of the whitest available, and it stays that way for a full 45 minutes.

That said, the throw of the L1 on high and the A2's incandescent beam is about the same from my eyes. As you may read elsewhere on the forums, many people like incandescent beams for the more accurate color rendition of reds/browns, providing more depth, where LED's usually make things appear flat. But don't get me wrong, the L1's beam tint is actually one of the best I've seen for color rendition.

Another thing you may notice with the A2 is the incandescent beam is slightly oval shaped and not perfectly round and even like the L1's beam. This shouldn't really be a problem unless you're going to be shining it on the wall all the time.

A disadvantage (in my eyes) of the L1's low beam is that it retains the same beam pattern on all modes. The tightly focused beam isn't as optimal for close-up work as the A2's floody LED's. A problem with the LED's of the A2, however, is the "white" LED's tend to be tinted blue, earning the nickname "angry blue."

You should ask yourself what you're going to be using the light for mainly. You won't have to change lamp assemblies with the L1, but the A2's lamp lasts extremely long due to the soft start in the circuitry. Obviously the L1 only uses 1 battery is and is much smaller but being smaller isn't always the best for some uses. For outdoor/camping I think the A2's incandescent would be better. For general purpose and EDC I like the L1 for the smaller size and more efficient runtime.

If you do end up getting the A2 and like it, you can look up the Aviatrix mod :grin2:

planex

Newly Enlightened
I have both lights. They are both excellent lights. I find that I use the L1 (cree version) more often. I like the fact that the L1 only uses 1 battery and it fits my hand perfectly since it is smaller than the A2. The low beam (10 lumens) really amazes me at its ability to throw outside in dark conditions due to the focused light provided by the optic. Then you press the tailcap a bit more and unleash an awesome 65 lumens from such a small package. Of course, you will probably find yourself eventually getting both, since it is hard to stop at just one surefire light :twothumbs

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few things to add...slightly (or maybe more, depending on how you feel) in the L1's favor are: more compact physical size and lower cost of batteries (1 cell vs two cells - I'm not factoring in differences in run times...). A factor slightly in the A2's favor is the ability to have a different color low beam (such as red, or yellow-green) without having anything mounted on the front to be taking on and off (and losing?).

Hard to make a bad choice between these two. As you've seen, many people eventually get one of each...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You could also buy a avatrax module for a A2 to have modes and the ability to run the LEDs on rechargeable batteries.

Smaller size, go for the L1
Better color renditioning, The A2

What you need the light for will also help recommending a light.

Welcome to CPF!

spinny

Newly Enlightened
The more details you can give us about how the light will be used, the better advice we can give in return. Hope this helps.

Let me start by thanking everyone so far.

Ultimately, the light will be serving one of three purposes;
1) Carrying it on me if the need for self defense arose
2) Keeping it in my car for emergency/low light everyday situations
3) Keeping it bedside if something goes 'bump' in the night

If i had to prioritize, I'd say maximum output / runtime are the 2 most important aspects to me. While I'm sure no one light is perfect for everything, I'm trying to make the most educated decision. Size is important, but I do think both lights are adequately small. Obviously, operating cost and efficiency are important to me as well.

As several of you have mentioned already, I'm sure whichever I choose will soon be followed by many others :grin2:

Last edited:

BSCOTT1504

Enlightened
I think you will be happy with either light. I would like to applaud you on the decision to make your first light a Surefire!! :thumbsup:

Dinan

Newly Enlightened
I think the L1 will suit you a bit better. For carrying around the smaller size is much less of a hassle.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Ultimately, the light will be serving one of three purposes;
1) Carrying it on me if the need for self defense arose
2) Keeping it in my car for emergency/low light everyday situations
3) Keeping it bedside if something goes 'bump' in the night

If i had to prioritize, I'd say maximum output / runtime are the 2 most important aspects to me. While I'm sure no one light is perfect for everything, I'm trying to make the most educated decision. Size is important, but I do think both lights are adequately small. Obviously, operating cost and efficiency are important to me as well.

(Emphasis mine.)

A choice of light is a compromise between size, brightness, and runtime - and you can only optimize 2 of those.

From the uses you describe, it seems to me like you're looking for a general utility light. Either the A2 or the L1 would serve you well.

A warning about lights for defensive purposes, though - it's best for that to be a dedicated light, one that you don't use for anything else. You don't want to be caught with half-depleted batteries and a weak beam when what you *really* need is a bright beam of light. My 0.02 lumens.

ja10

Enlightened
A choice of light is a compromise between size, brightness, and runtime - and you can only optimize 2 of those.

It seems like when comparing LED to Incan though, you can choose all three. With the L1 you get about the same output on high as the A2, but with more runtime and a smaller size. I think this is why the poster is having a hard time comparing the lights - it's hard to see why the A2 is better just by looking at the specs.

To the issue at hand, I think the L1 will be a great first quality light for you. It will accomplish everything you need to, and use one less cell and never need a replacement LED. With that being said, the A2 is next on my list, but I think it's more of an acquired taste. Seeing that cost is important to you, the new L1 is hard to beat.

spinny

Newly Enlightened
It seems like when comparing LED to Incan though, you can choose all three. With the L1 you get about the same output on high as the A2, but with more runtime and a smaller size. I think this is why the poster is having a hard time comparing the lights - it's hard to see why the A2 is better just by looking at the specs.

To the issue at hand, I think the L1 will be a great first quality light for you. It will accomplish everything you need to, and use one less cell and never need a replacement LED. With that being said, the A2 is next on my list, but I think it's more of an acquired taste. Seeing that cost is important to you, the new L1 is hard to beat.

Well, I think ja has summed it up for me.

I've ordered my new L1. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm itching for another light....maybe an A2, maybe something else. Thanks to all who've explained the A2's benefits in terms of beam patterns and color rendition. I'll be sure to let you know what I think after it arrives.

greenLED

Flashaholic
It seems like when comparing LED to Incan though, you can choose all three.

Excellent point, ja10. You're right, in this particular case, the L1 does provide a sensible balance between those 3 characteristics. I wouldn't stretch the compromise when comparing other lights, though.

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
I was troubled with the decition about getting the new L1 when I have the A2. I didnt buy the L1 because the specs are to close to each other. There are diffrences between the light, otherwise there wouldnt be any compasisment. Anyway... since reading this thread... i got the urge to buy a new L1... hmm... should I do it? :)

Please tell us what you think of your new L1! Im sure you will be very pleased with the light! You cant go wrong with a SF light! They are awsome! The only problem with them, are that you want to many of them...

ja10

Enlightened
Excellent point, ja10. You're right, in this particular case, the L1 does provide a sensible balance between those 3 characteristics. I wouldn't stretch the compromise when comparing other lights, though.

You are correct. That comparison really only works if you are comparing a A2 to an L1, or an E2E to a G2L, for example. And even so, it isn't really fair since an incan will generally excel in other areas like color rendition and throw. This is why so many lights are necessary :)