Nice quality budget pocket throwers for new guy? PLEASE?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Currently looking for a small clicky pocket thrower with higher quality build for Sub 50 bucks. Didn't say it was an easy request!!! Heard good stuff about something D-Mini! All suggestions welcome, I'm sure I will hear alot about fenix stuff!:whistle: Battery should be 123's for throw power and 2 batteries are as long as I'll go. Small means pocketable with jeans. Not a big fan of multi-levels, 2 are acceptable though.

Last edited:

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry I was busy sleeping. So, if you don't like the Fenix P1D or P2D is it only because of the multiple levels? Also you don't have to go with 123's for throw power. And are rechargeables OK, then if so you open yourself to single rechargeables that are the size of two 123's or even smaller. Also as for multiple levels, some lights remember the last setting, and some have modes that only give say two levels unless you twist the head per say.

Personally for a POCKET thrower I have a AAA sized li-ion rechargeable light. This light uses a power source that is higher voltage then a stock 123 battery, 3.7 volts versus 3 volts.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Yea I want to switch it off fast reguardless of which lvl I'm on so 2 levels is my preference. I like rechargeables, I also like runtime though. Maybe I need a holster thrower not a pocket thrower! I"m flexible....

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of too many lights that CAN'T be turned off quickly. For example the Fenix with six modes, in any mode, simply push the tail cap clicky and it is off. You don't have to hold the button and wait for it to turn off, it isn't Windows...

The Fenix have very good runtime, check out some battery run time graphs. The Fenix are so highly recomended because the price is reasonable, the quality is good (not perfect, but good), the power circuit is very efficient, and there are models for almost everyone, single AAA to three cr123's.

If you want even higher quality you can pay more and get Surefire. If the price is too high then you can try the China stores. If the Fenix features are not right then we would need to know what those are as right now your request is very generic, which I assume is one reason people are not responding.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Thank you for the response, I like the windows crack! I think the Rebel 80 Fenix ?? 2.0 looks good since it is a head twisty for lvs and button for on and off. I just don't have any exp with fenix and I see lots of praise and lots of bad stories both here on CPF. Just my budget making me skiddish I suppose.

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you stay on CPF for very long pretty soon it'll be "budget, what budget"?
D-mini is a great choice, can buy a 2 stage switch or different reflectors or a 18650 body as your budget allows. A little big for pocket but great on the belt. Fenix has some good choices too.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at Brightguy.com, he still has I think some of the Inova Tiros versions of the Inova X02, X03, T2, T3 etc.

The Tiros gives nice throw and they will fit in your prive range. The X series is twisty one stage, and the T series has a clicky one stage switch. Make sure it is the Tiros version for best throw though, they are the older models which have been replaced this year.

The Inovas are built like tanks to boot.

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Who sells the new model D mini?
IMG_1190.jpg
My 1 cool light.

GregWormald

Enlightened
Given what you've said so far I'd recommend the Fenix P2D. One CR123A cell. Push button on-off, twist high-low, so you can set it to come on in high or in low or change levels while it is on. Other multi-levels, including strobe and SOS are available but must be specifically selected.
The Cree version throws well even with the orange peel reflector. I haven't tried a Rebel but I'm sure there are beamshots somewhere on CPF or linked.
With the CPF discount they are close to $50 shipped.
It fits easily into my pockets.
Greg

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Usually pocket and throw don't go together, since throw usually means a big reflector and a bigger and wider light.

The older D-mini is sold on DX for $45 but Lumapower does not warrenty DX sold Lumapower lights, it's in the grey area. The Ultrafire C2 and WF-600 are pretty good throwers, the WF beight the much better thrower, but quality is no where close to Surefire's or Lumapower's and they aren't really pocketable.

The Fenix due to their smaller reflectors, don't have as much throw as a light with a bigger reflector.

martonic

Enlightened
Look at the Free.Light Spartanian. Two levels, single CR123A or RCR123, blazing bright for around $40.