What should happen to Barry Bonds' record-breaking ball?

LowWorm

Enlightened
The guy who bid over $750,000 to win the ball is apparently putting its fate up to a vote - sweet!

Here's his banner (he offers it for linkage) and the choices:

Will be interesting to see if this is a nutty media stunt or for real or both, but Bonds is a bit cheesed. ;)

Last edited:

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Test it for 'roids...

Edit: I voted for brand it.

Last edited:

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put it in the Hall of Fame where it belongs. Regardless of whether or not he used steroids and of course the evidence points to near certainty that he did, as far as I know he didn't fail any drug tests and MLB let him carry on so "officially" the record is his and I think the ball should go in the Hall of Fame. Just my opinion of course.

I recall when he first joined the Giants in 1993. Free agency had been around for awhile by then but the money had reached a point where players could sign a contract that could pretty much set them up for life regardless of how they performed. Many players seemed to have career years then signed the free agent contract and never quite lived up to expectations. That still goes on now. But Barry Bonds had his best year ever at the time for his first year as a Giant and had many great years before the steroid era. At the time he had a reputation for being a loner in the clubhouse but not near the nasty, surly reputation he seems to garner now. In his particular case more then any other I am sad that steroids came into play because he still would have had probably six hundred homers plus and gone into the Hall of Fame as certainly one of the top ten or top five players of all time and maybe the reputation as a bit of a standoff (like Ted Williams one of my favorite players I never saw) but nowhere near the controversial status he has now. I would have much preferred the former.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It's obvious Bonds didn't earn that record with talent & hard work alone.... And that's the thing, he's one of the most gifted ballplayers out there! He could have earned it on talent & hard work alone. But, he choose to do it the easy way.

You want proof he was "juicing?"

Take a look at his head! It grew bigger after he reached adulthood! That's not normal. There's really only one way that happens. And I'll give you all one guess.

Take a look at his rookie card, compare it to a recent one. You'll see what I mean.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I lost interest in major league baseball after the '81 strike. And despite living in the bay area, I have not been to a giants game since Bonds joined the team. That said, I believe both he and his balls are absolutely deserving of a place in the baseball hall of fame. Steroids were and are a league wide problem, with pitchers being high on the list of abusers. Major league baseball knew about the problem, did little to stop it, and tried to play the situation down. Bonds was doing what many others did given the tacit approval of MLB. He was just that much better on the field (and just as unpopular with his teammates and the press). Like him or not, he's one of THE players of his era, BASEBALL'S steroid era.

Carpenter

Enlightened
I lost interest in major league baseball after the '81 strike. And despite living in the bay area, I have not been to a giants game since Bonds joined the team. That said, I believe both he and his balls are absolutely deserving of a place in the baseball hall of fame. Steroids were and are a league wide problem, with pitchers being high on the list of abusers. Major league baseball knew about the problem, did little to stop it, and tried to play the situation down. Bonds was doing what many others did given the tacit approval of MLB. He was just that much better on the field (and just as unpopular with his teammates and the press). Like him or not, he's one of THE players of his era, BASEBALL'S steroid era.

I almost agree with shakeylegs. Give the ball to Cooperstown, but "brand it", so it doesn't get confused for records set by real athletes. Real athletes (like Hank Aaron & Babe Ruth) that didn't use performance enhancing anything to gain an edge over their non-cheating counterparts.